Stock head unit replacement question

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

blks10
Crew
Crew

Stock head unit replacement question

Post by blks10 »

I have heard rumors that if you replace your stock head unit with the same exact stock head unit, you have to have something in the truck reprogramed in order for it to accept the new head unit. does anyone know if this is true? Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may be true. The head unit can be VIN locked. This will only work with the vehicle it was originally installed. I am told this can be corrected by the dealer, but have never done it. I don't know for sure what year that started. Probably with the RDS.

There is also Theftloc which must be disabled prior to removal.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

I have heard there are codes to disable theftloc. I do not know mine, and i am pretty sure there is one. any way you can figure out what yours is?
I speaka da english
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Owners Manuel or Dealer. I'll try to remember to look at my manuel and get back to ya. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

The theftloc is the only code I know of. But I'm still a newb to these crew cabs.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

I have heard of this but haven't tried it.
http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36065
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:I have heard of this but haven't tried it.
http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36065
Steventruck wrote:I don't think that is for the RDS radio... It's for the 95-00 radios
rick wrote:With the RDS and later model GM radios you have to have the trucks ECM reprogramed to accept the new radio. This cost's about 80.00-100. at the dealership. A regular garage can do this if they have the equipment. * Even though some radios appear to look like the S-10 (ie Malibu Impala) they cannot be reprogamed to fit the S-10. It has to be a radio from an S-10 or I also think a 1500 series truck. The chip set in the radio and the ECM has to be compatible. Your factory radio will never lock up when you remove and install it in the same truck.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Ok, STUPID QUESTION ALERT! :oops:

Do you have to do anything if you put in an aftermarket unit ?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Buy an adapter or splice wires, no theftlock to worry about unless a stock stereo
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page