Dash Lights

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Ron

Dash Lights

Post by Ron »

I own a 2002 CC and my dash lights have just started to go off an on while driving. If I pound on the top of the dash board just above the steering wheel I can make the lights stay on (most of the time) I assume there is a wiring harness behind the dash that is causing this to happen. How hard is it to change out a wiring harness or can I just tape up the old one so the harness is not loose anymore. Your thoughts.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like a poor connection. I would pull the instrument cluster and check the connections.

It also might be a loose ground somewhere.
Make sure the dimmer is in a position that will not turn them off.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Not saying you are wrong on your dash pounding analysis but I had this happen on my 01 a year or so ago and my problem was loose cable connection at battery. Finally started to have engine cut-out problems which is what started me looking under the hood. My two cents worth and simple to check with a wiggle of the cables. Let us know what you find.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I've checked the cables and everything is tight and looks good. I should clarify more on the lights. Most of the dash lights stay on but the lights that show what gear you are in and when this problem happens not all the instruments work either. The fuel gauge, amps, speed and tach just bottom out and do not work but if I just apply a small amount of pressure to the top of the dash board then all the lights and gauges work till I relive the pressure on the dash and then all the gauges bottom out again. Should I just replace the wiring harness?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check the wiring connection to the ignition switch.
It may be related to a common problem seen in the fullsize where ignition switch replacement is required.

The item that they have in common is the gear position indicator failure.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Ron

Post by Ron »

I will check that and let you know if it solves the problem.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

From your further description sounds like a printed circuit failure IMO. Perhaps wiring but pressure on the dash would better support circuit failure than wiring as pressure on the dash seems unlikely to me to affect the wiring so much as the printed circuit.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I took the truck out last night and drove it around and this time I wrote down in detail what is going on. At start up the seat belt, ABS, break, and other start up instrument lights all go on along with the dash lights. Once the start up sequence is over all the instrument gauges bottom out and do not work but the dash lights stay on all but the gear lights. I can push on the top of the dash and all the instrument lights that come on during start up come on again and run through there cycle and then the gauges bottom out again or some times stay on. All this is being done while I'm driving. Every time the gauges bottom out and I pound on the dash or hit the plastic cover over the gauges the whole start up lights and gauges all go through there sequence and some time they stay working for the rest of my trip or keep going on and of as I hit the dash.

Frustrated in Newberg
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Time to pull the instrument cluster and check connections. Look for a good ground.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Ron

Post by Ron »

I will take apart the dash this weekend and see what I can find out.

One more strange item in this whole affair is that once the truck has been driven for 5 min or more all the gauges stay working until I shut the engine off and do not start it again for about an hour or so. So I don't know what the engine being cold has to do with the gauges not working but I do know that once it is warmed up all the gauges and lights work fine. Is this still a ground issue?