missing tail light? *solved (bad fuse)

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

missing tail light? *solved (bad fuse)

Post by jedthrocornpone »

I have both turn signals with and without head lights on both brake lights with and without headlights on have 4way flashers w/wo just no taillight on the drivers side?

I'm confused I checked the fuess and replaced that bulb with a fresh one and same deal.

Any ideas?

just went out and checked fuses agin they are all good under the hood, went to check the inside fuses and hit my head on the corner of the hood, by the time my vision cleared up the skys opened and I was getting soaked so I'll check inside and the grounds once the rain quits
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

wife has mentioned something about a burning plastic/rubber smell during warm-up are there spots on the harness that are prone to damage from exhaust?

just spitballing here while I dry out
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If the bulbs and fuses are good check all of your wiring grounds. :wink:

Most of these weird electrical problems are caused by a bad ground and are easy to fix.

I had a turn signal problem that was fixed by removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the rear light harness ground under the rear bumper on the drivers side.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

There is also one on the passenger side to check.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Ok so both grounds are cleaned and re-installed. I get continuity from both grounding bolts to both sockets (wide tabs inside socket)

I get continuity from the socket to the plug inside the D/S frame rail.

I get continuity from D/S socket to P/S socket on the tailight tabs (middle tab inside of the socket).

I get voltage (and a light) on the P/S but I get no voltage and no light on the D/S

the license plate light is out on that side also..................that and the same style bulb (small single filliment push-in type) in either taillamp I cant seem to get to light up? not sure what they do (they were both good though)

any more help I'm starting to pull my hair out.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Unplug the wiring connector near the left bumper bracket and check the wire for power at that point.
That will give you a direction to trace.

You did check both the left and right fuses in the electrical center, I assume.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I get 13+ on one of the "upper contacts"

looked like black with white stripe

I have turn signals and emerg. flashers just no D/S Rear Park light and I did check the RR PRK 10A today and it was fine

with the 4-ways flashers on I get 13+ on the one upper contact I get a pulseing voltage on the other upper wire and a plusing voltage one of the lower corner wires
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I'm Blind

ok so after pulling the fuses 3 or four times I decieded to grab a 10A from a circiut I know is working and low and behold when I put it in the LR PRK the lights work so I look at the fuse I just pulled out and It looks good.....................................................untill I go back in the house under floresents and sure enough its blown.

So not only am I slow, I'm at least half stupid and blind that and maybe I don't know my right from my left

left is cookie, right is milk....left is cookie, right is milk....left is cookie, right is milk....left is cookie, right is milk....left is cookie, right is milk....left is cookie, right is milk....left is cookie, right is milk....left is cookie, right is milk....left is cookie, right is milk....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The only way to tell if a fuse is good for sure is to use a continuity tester. There are little exposed tips on the top of each fuse so this can be done without removal.
There have been quite a few stories of low grade fuses that look good, but are not.

Glad you found your problem!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

me too, I have been told this before too so I feel stupid.

so I got lights and a lesson, thanks