HVAC fuse blown

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HVAC fuse blown

Post by kermit »

I got in the truck the other day and went to turn on the heat, but the switch was already on high and no air was coming out of any of the vents. I checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown. The replacement fuse immediately went out as well. I know its an extremely broad question, but any ideas on what could be blowing the fuse?

Thanks
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Bad/stuck blower motor?? Shorted wires?? If on defrost perhaps compressor/safety switch problem?? Perhaps Brule will have some other ideas.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

OK I'll bite, a short?
Seriously though did the fuse blow as soon as you replaced it? I assume you shut the HVAC off before putting in the new fuse. More details would help us out a lot.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

haha... I know its a vague question. I turned off the truck before I replaced the fuse. I didn't know if there were any common problems with the HVAC that I might need to check.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If you replaced the fuse with the HVAC still on but the truck off you didn't learn anything but that starting the engine caused the problem. I would check the blower motor resistor first.
Chevrolet S10 HVAC Blower Motor Resistor Delco
Parts Number : AC15-71991
MFR# : 15-71991
Description : HVAC Blower Motor Resistor
About $12.00
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

after a closer look. I got it to blow again, but not until I turned the fan on 4. If I am looking at this right, the belt is running, but the pulley isn't turning. It comes and goes... bad relay somewhere?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

That's classic symptom of the resistor going bad it uses the resistor to provide a higher draw when the blower needs to run on high. Are you talking about the AC pulley under the hood? it's on a clutch and only engages as needed.
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

even before the fuse went out, there was no air coming out of the vents. would a bad resistor still explain that?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If there was no air on the lower settings as well then I would look to the blower motor itself, it may indeed be seized up. Have you heard any squealing or howling from it? My old Chevy would howl when cold, the bearings were going bad, it would stop once it ran for a while at least until it seized completely and I had to hit it with a hammer t free it.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

My experience has been that usually you will hear some type of noise before a motor goes out. I'm not saying that it can't happen, just not common. I have had pencils, pens or sticks to foul the squirrel cage and stop the motor. The newer full size trucks have had problems with the resistor melting the connector.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

funny that you say that... i found a carpenter's pencil wedged under the fuse box. where is the motor located? is it easy to get to?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I have not done it for quite a while but years ago some people had so much trouble with kids (and careless adults too) leaving pencils etc on dash boards that some had me install 1/4" mesh or smaller screen under the dash cover to prevent entry of foreign objects into the defroster openings. Seemed to work pretty well for those who needed it.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

Finally got under the hood over the weekend and took out the blower motor... sure enough it was stuck. I pulled out the resistor and it didn't have any visible signs of going bad. Once i had the motor loosened up i turned the a/c on, but the fan only worked on 3 and 4. Since the resistor didn't look bad, I took a look behind the switch inside, but didn't see any signs of arcing.

The blower motor works, but only on speeds 3 and 4. Should the switch or the resistor have visible damage if they were bad?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Check both sides of the connector for a melted or scorched mark, that is commonly found when they go bad. I would also check the switch for the same scorched/melted issue, otherwise since it's apart a $16 part is worth installing to see if that's the problem. Might as well pick up the new motor as well once it has seized it's only a matter of time before it happens again.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Test it with an ohm meter.
I would bet the motor has too much resistance and slower speeds and doesn't function properly until higher voltages are applied.
I would suggest replacing the blower motor before it takes other components down with it.
"Freeing" one up does not usually last long. A bandaid when a better fix is needed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

before i took it apart i unplugged it and tested it with a new motor and it only worked on 3 and 4 as well, which made me question whether or not it was the right motor. The one i tested didn't have a male connection for the hose that comes out of the bottom of the motor . I am going to check another store to make sure i find the right motor.

i've still got some tinkering to do...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, so I guess you are working with a new motor. Use an ohm meter , or continuity meter to test the resistor.
If it is good then check the switch.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK