tips -on removing radio

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

duce
Crew
Crew

tips -on removing radio

Post by duce »

ok i need any tips you guy,s can give on removing the factory radio so i can put in my alpine deck.... :?:

Edited the title to make it a bit more descriptive ;) -HJ
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Do you need help with anything specific or just the removal in general? It's really pretty easy...just remove the big trim strip that goes around the radio and the gauge cluster, then take out the two (or maybe three) screws holding the radio in and unplug the harness. Voila! :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

thanks for the reply azs10crew.ya i was just asking i general i have never had a sonoma before so i am not to sure on how to remove the radio.

the trim strip just snap on and off and were is the best place to start??
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

on a related note- my 2003 had the newer Delphi radio with RDS (Radio Data System). On most new GM vehicles this requires a special wiring harness to maintain airbags, door chime, and get power to an aftermarket radio. For some reason my didn't. Circuit City couldn't figure it out so I went eleswhere. The custom stereo guy ended up only having to use a $15 GM wiring harness instead of a $50-$65 harness and everything in my truck works. It cost him an extra hour or so, but he was glad to have the learning experience and it saved me some money!
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

duce wrote:thanks for the reply azs10crew.ya i was just asking i general i have never had a sonoma before so i am not to sure on how to remove the radio.

the trim strip just snap on and off and were is the best place to start??

Just start by pulling off that trim strip. I think there's a couple screws on the knee panel to take out so that it will drop down enough to get the trim strip off. Then there's maybe three screws that hold the bottom of the trim strip in place. other than that, it pulls right off. You'll probably need to pull the gear selector down into 1 and flip the tilt wheel all the way down to get the trim strip over the steering wheel and column. After that, it's a couple screws holding the radio in and that's it.

If you already have the radio, I'd suggest ordering the harnesses from Crutchfield. They run about $30 for everything and they'll send you install instructions too so you'll have directions on taking apart the dash. PLus you'll have access to their tech support people once you are a customer too.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

thanks guys 4 the info..my truck has (RDS) and i do have the special harness so i am good 4 that.i will give it a go this weekend so i will keep you all up to date on how it works out..also hope to get pictures taken that day.. :)
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I think you need to take the plastic piece beneath the steering column off before you can pull the trim off. There are 2 screw holding the trim piece in the guage cluster and several screw holding the trim piece beneath the plastic piece I described under the steering column
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I was trying to say that the S-series with the RDS didn't need the special harness that costs more...at least in my experience. In fact, both guys I had look at the stereo couldn't get an aftermarket head unit to work (to get power) with the adapter that was supposed to work and they do this kind of thing for a living.
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
ronnie
Regular
Regular

Post by ronnie »

i just put a indash monitor in my 2003 with RDS and you will need a different adapter for the radio then the normal one the rds radio is bigger,i have the break down sheet from crutchfield if you need it i can fax it to you
2003 s-10 zr5 crew cab leaather,dvd/mp3 player,monitor,10' mtx thuderform,,i have a website selling jeep and other 4x4 please email me if looking for lift kit,seatcovers,performance parts,919-524-3595
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

All GM products need a physical adapter to hold an aftermarket radio in the dash because it is a DIN and 1/2. Most of these radios are DIN-sized except a few by Pioneer and Jensen. All that I have been referring to is the actual wiring that plugs your stereo into your vehicle.
-Jim
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

ronnie i have pm you with my fax # and thanks im sure it will help..will post what happens this weekend thanks 4 the tips guys....
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

Ronnie I got the fax thanks.... :D
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

ok all is well :D the deck is in and it was done in about 2 hr not bad for my first time.all i have to do is get a sub box made.thanks to all for the tips.. :wink: