Instrument cluster lighting, flickering for odometer*SOLVED

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Instrument cluster lighting, flickering for odometer*SOLVED

Post by fallvitals »

I searched and couldnt find any issues at all like this...

Just when I start to think this truck might just be a good one...

Few weeks ago, I noticed that the gear selector display, and odometer illuminations will flicker. You know get bright then dim, pretty fast. I beleive it does it all the time. I don't think its hurting any thing... or anything is in danger? But its pretty annoying, knowing its there.

Any ideas on this one? Im pretty lost.. :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

:oops: Im gonna go hide in the corner now...
Thanks Brule.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No problem. Most often the best title for a thread is also the best search term.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Don't forget to check that the battery connections are tight as well.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

After having a few minutes to read that thread (I was leaving for work when I replyed), I bet its my positive connection at the battery.. (seems more like a ground issue)

Reason being is I have one of those brass accessory battery posts, it came of my old s-10 for my amp. And the threads are about ruined on it being brass. I first thought the terminal itself was stripped till I examined it and discovered the threads on that post. $5 part :)
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have the brass post on mine too. I just picked another pair for my boat battery. They do strip the lead battery threads easy. I have found that grinding off the last 2 rings of threads stops the stripping. This lets the shoulder tighten down on the battery before the threads reach the bottom of the hole. At $4.39 each, they aren't cheep. But the do work great.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I ment my brass post was stripped not the battery threads. :oops:

I dont think I have had a problem with mine bottoming out.. I think.... Ill have to check on that next time I mess with it.

I acutally picked up the last brass post at advance yesterday for $2.99, wasn't a bad deal.

I havent noticed the lights flickering since I replaced it but it was very bright when I checked. Tonight during lunch at work and coming home ill definantly be able to see. The negative was nice and tight, but the positive was loose, becuase of the strip threads of course.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

How did you strip a brass thread in a lead battery terminal? or did you strip the other end where you connect accessories? Just wondering since I just added two of these to my Tahoe for it's dual battery install project.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I have talent. :lol:

Probably from years of use, taking on and off, on and off... I got like 7 years ago for my first S10. The new one snugged up just fine. And the threads were buggered on the old brass post.

And it was the portion thats threads into the battery, the accessory end was just fine.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

FYI, it fixed my problem! Thanks again to this forum!