battery/alt?

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

battery/alt?

Post by bradjh »

This morning I go to start my truck and i get nothing but a clicking. So it was original acdelco battery in my 02 crew. bought new batt and i think it may be the alternator. When i rev up and let off truck about stalls out and the batt gauge oil pressure and the odeometor lights get real dim then the truck will idle up a lil and all gauges go back to norm... how hard is alternator change?
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I have had the same problem before. It seems to straighten up after driving a little bit. I think it's the computer relearning the operating parameters. That's what I tell my wife anyway. Changing the alternator is easy but considering the age on your old battery I would drive it some first.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I would take the truck to an auto parts store like Auto Zone or such that can bench test the alternator for you if you can't do it yourself with a multimeter. You will kill a new battery in hours if the alternator is not working and you are running strictly off the battery possibly leaving you stranded on the side of the road.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

seems to be ok now after driving batt gauge stays about 24 autozone says alt. is good 14.3 volts charging and pushin 52 amps...
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

What is showing 24??
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

idk.. the few times i had the clicking sound you just descirbed, i messed up and left my interior lights on, and the battery was low. The other, my battery was dead (needed replaced).
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

sorry typo meant batt gauge stays on 14 everything seems ok so far ..