Temp. Gauge Gone Wild * solved (bad connection)

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Temp. Gauge Gone Wild * solved (bad connection)

Post by Horsehammerr »

My Temp Gauge comes on when the key is turned on , but when turned to start and engine is running the gauge reads flat to the left, as in 100*. This also makes the engine run extremely rich , so rich , I think I can see the fuel gauge going down as I drive. HELP ? :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Temp. Gauge Gone Wild

Post by HenryJ »

Check your battery cables and connections. It could also be the ignition switch or the instrument cluster connections. Check , clean and lube them all.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks HJ, I will go through the whole electric system and clean it up and , lube with what ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dielectric silicone (electrical grease)

This will reduce oxidation , promote a good contact and seal the connection.

Pay close attention to the battery cables and their connections. The bolt can tighten in the battery terminal and not on the cable. The end attachment at the engine can oxidize and have a bad connection.

I had my old truck catch the little wire to the firewall on fire. It smoked it when I started it. The connection at the engine block had oxidized. Hot weather seems to bring out the best in everything :(

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I'll get on ASAP. Have been into mid to upper 90's here with 80 percent plus humidity. Been like this since end of May. Every summer we live in a natural Spa.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I had the very same problem... I fixed it by unplugging the temp sender plug and cleanning the conection. When I unplugged it, it was not plugged in all the way. I think I knocked it loose when I changed the spark plug wires.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Sounds like a good place to look. Can you point me to that temp sender plug ?
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

It is on the drivers side by plug 3. It is a pita to reach.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks for the Pic. Jongo88. This is a major help, and you are right about the PITA. Right between two of the hardest to reach plugs. Thanks GM engineering !
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks for the Pic. Jongo88. This is a major help, and you are right about the PITA. Right between two of the hardest to reach plugs. Thanks GM engineering ! :evil:
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Any time bud. That's why we are here...
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I'll do the clean and lube later today but, after finding the connection and just jiggling it a little the temp gauge is now working. I'd say that's a for sure sign it needs cleaning, along with all the rest of the elec. connections. Thanks for the wake up HenryJ and Jongo88. :rock: 8)
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Temp. Gauge Gone Wild * solved (bad connection)

Post by Horsehammerr »

All cleaned up and Dielectric Silicone lubed. Everything working well. :thumb: 8)
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Temp. Gauge Gone Wild * solved (bad connection)

Post by Jongo88 »

I'm glad you got it... Was it fun to get to???