Help: Parking Brake Light comes on while driving

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

PonyKiller
Regular
Regular

Help: Parking Brake Light comes on while driving

Post by PonyKiller »

Recently the (BRAKE) light in the dash started turning on while driving. In a past vehicle I had this happen do to a leak in the brake line, right before I lost brakes. Expecting the worst the first time this happened I pulled over checked everything out and it was all fine. It still does it from time to time. It doesn't seem to be linked to doing anything specific and it doesn't effect the operation of the brakes at all.

Any ideas what is going on and how to fix it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Help: Parking Brake Light comes on while driving

Post by HenryJ »

That is a tough one as it could be many things. You are going to need to start with the basics and use the process of elimination.
Make sure that the parking brake lever is all the way up and that the wire and switch are in good shape.
Change the fluid by bleeding the brakes. Start at the farthest from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest. That will take care of fluid level and quality.
Inspect the brake pads, slide pins and calipers.
If all that checks out good, you could have a problem with the ABS module or motor.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
PonyKiller
Regular
Regular

Post by PonyKiller »

Well just about everything is new. A year ago I replaced all 4 pads, rotors and both rear calipers. I drained all the fluid at that time and replaced. I did the jamb on the brakes to bleed the abs out... Everything was fine for over a year then it started up, right about the same time that my ABS started acting up. I'm pretty sure one of my front wheel sensors needs to be taken off and cleaned. Maybe that will fix both problems.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Front wheel sensors are inside the hub and unless the hub is bad , it is not likely the sensor needs to be cleaned.

Lots can happen in a year. Corrosion and condensation never stops. Have an open mind and work through the steps. Never assume anything is good until you inspect it.
Jamming on the brakes is not going to bleed the module. That can only be done with bleeding and a tool to activate the abs module. For the owner lacking the Tech2, your best bet is bleeding and hope the module is good.

Bleeding the brakes not only changes the fluid and removes the air. It can also serve to center the proportioning valve. If you have a stuck caliper or leak in the system, this valve serves to isolate that failed part and retain braking. Centering it is "resetting" it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK