Dashboard Problems

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

CJE

Dashboard Problems

Post by CJE »

I recently had my 2003 S-10 ZR5 serviced for an airbag light issue. After the mechanic fixed the airbag light by rewiring the electrical system "properly", I'm now having an issue where the gas gauge fluctuates way more than it should when I put it into Park. After sitting idle for about five minutes, the gas gauge will stop moving, whether it be at the correct or incorrect spot. Although it's hard to notice sometimes, when the truck is put back into Drive, within about 10-20 minutes of driving, the gauge ever so slowly climbs back up towards the 1/2 mark. This is not the only problem I'm having with the dashboard. The oil gauge also gives erratic and random readings. Is there a solution to this problem?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Dashboard Problems

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds like you may have to revisit your mechanic if, the fuel gauge issue started after he worked on it. These rigs have a long history of fuel gauge issues, though. Do a search on the subject and you will have plenty of reading material for the next rainy day. The oil gauge issue sounds somewhat new and it could be a lot of different things.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might be instrument cluster ground problems, or ignition switch issues?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Don't forget to check for solid tight cable connections at the battery as well. Happens more often than most think. Consider the mechanic may have had the cable/s off to do the "rewiring" and not gotten them back on tight. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Alot of these gauge clusters have cold solider joint issues. Im not sure about us crew cab guys, but everyone I know thats owned a blazer with these same clusters has lost their odometer at some point because of this problem. The one in my crew decided that the oil pressure was going to peg over on the highest setting after i took it apart to clean it and put it back together. I havent gotten back in there yet all winter to check and see if its a short/bad ground etc. Seems like GM isnt so good when it comes to having people do quality work on circuit boards? (Reference to our Whacky Wipers issues)
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ