Rear Door Speaker Cuts out

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

xjcrew

Rear Door Speaker Cuts out

Post by xjcrew »

Hi, My Rear Door Speakers work intermittently. I thought it might be the radio because the speakers would work once in a while but mostly not. Didn't act like a loose connection. I changed the radio to a new Kenwood and the problem still persists. I checked the wireing under dash and everything looks fine.

How does the wires run to the rear doors so I can try and trace the problem? How has anyone else solved this problem?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear Door Speaker Cuts out

Post by HenryJ »

Check the wires under the sill plates and into the B pillar? Maybe the connections at the speakers?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Got the same problem on mine. Both left side door speakers don't work most of the time only cutting in intermittently. Let us know what you find on yours. I tried working over the wires at the radio with no lasting success also tried a different radio. Have been too lazy to tear into the doors as yet. Perhaps after weather warms up and stays that way.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

My passenger side front does the same. I thought I read somewhere it was not the connection to the deck but to the speakers themselves that had the problems? I don't recall where I read this though.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
xjcrew

Post by xjcrew »

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone know the wiring layout?

The problem is that both rear speakers don't work at the same time and when they do they both work. It is a rare occasion that only one works. I would assume that the problem is not in the doors. If I knew how the wiring is routed I could follow the wiring and locate a connector that comes disconnected (I have never seen this before). The radio connector is in good shape and the wiring pins are fully seated.

I could use a wizard with a magic wand and then I wouldn't have to dismantle the whole truck to find how the wiring is routed. :surrender: :?: :surrender: :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Never assume. Go to the door and check the connections at the speaker.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
xjcrew

Post by xjcrew »

I just talked to Crutchfield tech and he informs me that the speakers may be bad, and an automatic sensor in the radio may disable the rear door speakers (He was guessing). I wanted to buy new speakers for the vehicle but held off until I found the problem. The factory radio (2001 crew cab) would only intermittently power the speakers. Now the new Kenwood doesn't power the rear speakers. I have never seen rear speaker wires in any other vehicles that were not directly connected to the radio (no connectors). Was wondering if there could be broken wires grounded? Trying to logically analyze the problem.

Does anyone have information on the Crutchfield techs suggestion?
Is there any description on how to remove the rear door panel without destroying some attachment plugs?
I want to install 6 speakers - Dash(no aftermarket available) and 4 doors - any recommendations?

I don't like throwing money at something and not getting it right the first time. How has anyone else accomplished this?
saab9k
Crew
Crew

Post by saab9k »

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Your speakers are not bad.I had this same problem with my CC. Take the rear doors apart, REMOVE the plug harness that comes out of the speaker and goes to the rest of the door. Take the wire coming from the door and permanently attach it to the speaker. The problem is the plugs are cheezy and they will loose connection under vibrations. When I fixed mine i replaced them with quick disconnects and installed two aftermarket pioneers.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Yeah, I have a problem with both left door speakers not working. Intermittently they will work then stop. I've tried a different radio in case I lost part of the output on the old one but the problem persists. I've just not taken the time to tear the doors apart to check the connections yet although it makes me wonder if the problem isn't further forward as they both go out and come back at the same time.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Most likely it is in the door itself. I would consistantly loose BOTH rear speakers at the same time. The front and rear speakers in the doors share the same connectors, except i believe the rears have pigtails off the speaker itself and the fronts do not. Go and pick up a set of 2 way coaxials and just hard wire the stuff in, you will save yourself alot of headaches. Open the panels up once and close em up for the last time!
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Thanks for the advice medium. Currently it's a bit chilly here to do much in the fresh air and sunshine garage so I may wait till spring to tackle this problem unless we get a bit warmer stretch than currently.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Your welcome and good luck! If you have a garage a small space heater is a great investment LOL. I will be picking one up for my new place since I dont have the luxury of a warm garage in the winter anymore.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Wish I did have a garage! Everything I do is literally outside with no roof either.