amplifier install with stock deck? i needed info

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

amplifier install with stock deck? i needed info

Post by 2bunik »

:? I never have seen one that does . but do our stereos come with RCA outputs for a amp or does a line converter have to be installed. I want to install a 12 with a 500 watt amp . I want to keep the stock head unit cause i really cant afford a head unit . I am saving for a sus. lift kit... thanx for the info
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have not kept up-to-date with the audio systems at all, been too busy trying to keep up on the mechanical end.

I have a similar question.

I would like to play the sound from a DVD player through the stock sound system, are there any inputs? If not what are my options?

(so , OK I have exactly the opposite question :? )

Are there any inputs, or outputs?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

To answer both questions at once...there are no outputs or inputs on the stock head unit.

For question #1...adding the amp...if your amp does not have speaker level inputs, you'll need a line out converter. I'd suggest one anyway because you'll get better sound quality that way.

For question #2...you might see if you can get an FM broadcaster that you can connect to the DVD player. I know that you can get them for CD changers. The just connect to the line out of the changer (or in your case DVD) and broadcast on a preset FM frequency (usually something at either the bottom or top of the range on your tuner). I think they still make them...haven't seen a Crutchfield catalog in a while to know for sure though. I'd check their website first though...at least to get ideas anyway.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

thanx for the info Ill install the converter friday and post some pics on the whole system setup . thanks for that piece of info .. now i dont have to pull my deck out... ha ha :D
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

just splice your rear lines to the door speakers and look for an amp that has speaker line inputs...or just get an rca jack that also splices off the rear speaker lines..my friend did that in his maxima..still sounds good
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]

Amp with stock unit

Post by Guest »

It's easy. Just splice into your rear speaker wires where they head into
the door. I hooked up a sub this way and it works great. Just be
sure you tape the wires good cause if either wire touches ground
your stock head unit will fry in about 1/10 of a nanosecond.
01sonoma4dr4x4

Line Level Convertor & FM modulator

Post by 01sonoma4dr4x4 »

8) I MANAGE A CAR AUDIO SHOP IN UTAH IF YOU GUYS ARE STILL LOOKING FOR THESE? SO JUST EMAIL ME WE SHIP UPS ALL THE TIME.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Brule, go to http://www.soundoffaudio.com they sell adapters for OEM GM radios that allow you to add something with RCA outputs to the factory radio, like a CD changer or DVD player, you just press the CD/Aux button twice to switch to it :-) Beats an FM modulator (I hate those things....)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:Brule, go to http://www.soundoffaudio.com they sell adapters for OEM GM radios that allow you to add something with RCA outputs to the factory radio, like a CD changer or DVD player, you just press the CD/Aux button twice to switch to it :-) Beats an FM modulator (I hate those things....)

I guess you'll have to be a little more specific since I'm virtually audio iliterate.

It sounds like a great way to do it, but where do I plug it in, what exactly is it, and will it work plugged into the headphone jack of my laptop?

I have the separate cassette player in the lower console. Is there a way to "tap" into its connection to the radio?
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:
wamason wrote:Brule, go to http://www.soundoffaudio.com they sell adapters for OEM GM radios that allow you to add something with RCA outputs to the factory radio, like a CD changer or DVD player, you just press the CD/Aux button twice to switch to it :-) Beats an FM modulator (I hate those things....)

I guess you'll have to be a little more specific since I'm virtually audio iliterate.

It sounds like a great way to do it, but where do I plug it in, what exactly is it, and will it work plugged into the headphone jack of my laptop?
Henry Henry Henry. :roll: We talked about not too long ago: http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... hlight=aux

To recap, if your factory radio has the AUX button on it, it allows you an RCA input for anything. So you could use this with your laptop or a portable MP3 Player, etc. It's pricey at 70bucks but should be better sounding than an FM modulator which is about 50bucks anyway. I never got it cause I'm looking to replace my factory radio.

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote:...
Henry Henry Henry. :roll: We talked about not too long ago: http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... hlight=aux

To recap, if your factory radio has the AUX button on it, it allows you an RCA input for anything. So you could use this with your laptop or a portable MP3 Player, etc. It's pricey at 70bucks but should be better sounding than an FM modulator which is about 50bucks anyway. I never got it cause I'm looking to replace my factory radio...
Ok, I guess I do remember that NEO thing. :oops:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:
Conman wrote:...

To recap, if your factory radio has the AUX button on it, it allows you an RCA input for anything. So you could use this with your laptop or a portable MP3 Player, etc. It's pricey at 70bucks but should be better sounding than an FM modulator which is about 50bucks anyway. I never got it cause I'm looking to replace my factory radio...
Ok, I guess I do remember that NEO thing. :oops:
No Problem Just busting your chops! ;)
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Jay-Bird
Crew
Crew

Post by Jay-Bird »

I tapped into the back door speakers to run a speaker wire from them to my amp but I don't like looking at a speaker wire coming out of the door every time i open the door.. But when I get a better system its going to be installed at "Best Buy" so I know for sure that it's professionally hooked up..
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Jay-Bird wrote:I tapped into the back door speakers to run a speaker wire from them to my amp but I don't like looking at a speaker wire coming out of the door every time i open the door.. But when I get a better system its going to be installed at "Best Buy" so I know for sure that it's professionally hooked up..
When I hooked up my Bazooka tube, I was think about the same thing. But it was easier to just run the speaker wires right to the radio and tap there. All wires hidden too.

Con