My CC sets off my dog's shock collar?!?!

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

dualsport
Crew
Crew

My CC sets off my dog's shock collar?!?!

Post by dualsport »

Hey guys... for the sanity of my husky... HELP! :)

The other day I came home and the kids are all, "Daddy's home!" and come running, right? And with them came my husky, but she got a 'shocking surprise'... Something in my pickup set off her in-ground electric fence shock collar just as she put her head into my door. I have an Astro van also, and it set off the collar last week too. I found this out when loadin' the dog into the side door and I took to collar off so it wouldn't shock her driving out the driveway- it beeped and buzzed my hand, so I dropped it before the shock. There must be some commonality between the vehicles? They're both GM products and have many similarities...

I'm not getting much from the company, but here's what I know so far:

PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Electric Fence System and I'm told it operates on an AM frequency (I'm told, but haven't confirmed with the engineers yet...)

Also, I don't think this happens when the truck is off, just when running. I'm gonna take off the collar and put the test light on it to see if I get a 'correction' at the collar as I wave it around the vehicle- I'll let you all know what happens...

So I'm asking you guys- is there anything that might transmit an AM freq or its harmonic that would be shocking my dog?

Thanks guys- I appreciate your help!
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: My CC sets off my dog's shock collar?!?!

Post by HenryJ »

Has your dog been pee'n on the trucks tires?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

Hah! Nope (female- it'd be a real trick)...
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

OK, just talked to the right guy at PetSafe...

It's a 10.65 kHz AM signal...

The technician I talked to had never heard of this happening before, but had two suggestions: 1- that the large metal object (crew cab) was acting as an antenna, or 2- there was something onboard the vehicle transmitting a signal that signaled the collar to activate.

The first idea seems unlikely simply because of the low level that the transmitter is pushing the signal and the 100+ ft that my parking pad is from the in-ground wire and transmitter... I'm leaning toward the vehicles being the culprit?

So there it is guys... Any ideas?!?!
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

No but it'd sure be nice if my truck did that to some of the dogs on the mail route!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

Well do you have an aftermarket security system on the truck? That might cause it.....
The truck might be acting as an antenna for it....
And you would be surprised the power that the system puts out.

Not sure what is causing this to happen.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2