The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

yet another problem......door switch

Post by Lil-j »

:x

The alarm went off on my truck the other night, very odd considering it has only what came from the factory. I went out, stopped the horn from beeping ( I like my neighbors) checked the truck out, nothing wrong, locked it and noticed the dome light took a real long time to go out, hmm. Opened the driver door, closed it locked it (remote). Same thing.

Next morning, leave for school. Get in, start truck, put in reverse. Noticed 2 things, dome light was still on and the doors didnt lock when I put it in gear. I was running late so I hit the dome override and drove on. Noticed when I got there that when I shut the truck off, as soon as I took the key out, the radio turned off. That's not supposed to happen unless a door is opened. :?:

So at lunch I try to figure it out. Dome light stayed on and door's did not look when I put it in gear.
Went home and started pulling fuses, not one blown fuse but yet magically everything worked fine, light went out when engine started, doors locked when put in gear. :?:

Today......same problems, light stays on, doors dont lock in gear. :crazy:

I'm leaning toward faulty door switch, probably driver door, any thoughts on this one? Anybody else have this issue before? I'm gona clean my maf sensor tomorrow so the battery will get disconnected afterward anyway maybe something will reset?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: yet another problem......

Post by HenryJ »

Lil-j wrote:... faulty door switch, probably driver door
Yep.
... maybe something will reset?
Not likely. The BCM retains information.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: yet another problem......

Post by Lil-j »

New door switch is going in today.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: yet another problem......door switch

Post by Lil-j »

Mystery.....

I changed the driver door switch today, not too bad of a job though smaller hands would help. Before I installed the new switch I plugged it in and pushed the plunger in to check for function, it acted the same. Ok, maybe its the passenger fron that is bad. I figured out how to get to that switch real fast as its behind the glove box.

Here's the mystery part, I swing the glove box out of the way and look the back side of the switch.....no wires :?: WTF?! maybe the connecter wasnt put in all the way and it fell out of the switch? So I go hunting for the wiring conector, cant find it :?:
I spent 30mins searching for it, head in the glove box cavity, feeling all over the place, it's no where to be found. For grins, I just removed the switch altogether.

It started getting late, I got cold and tired and said the hell with it. Plugged in and installed the switch on the driver front, put the dash back together. I fire up the truck to check function, works perfectly! Dome light goes on and off like it should and the radio stays after I turn the engine off and take the key out till the door is opened, exactly like it should.

Now another mystery. I started the truck up again got out and closed the door, walked around to the passenger front door (the one without a door switch).......Fun part, I opened the door and the dome light came on! :?: :?: :?: I was dumbfounded! I opened and closed the 3 times and couldnt believe what I was seeing! I opened the door again and searched for another switch somewhere, cant find one. So is the ghosht of door switvhes past working in it's place??? The door switch is not even installed, let alone wired up. I'm stumped :surrender:

Is my truck the only one like this or are all the s10's like this?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Get Used To It !!
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

Lol
I thought it was just me.
My 01 crew is like that.
I don't have any wires in the pass switch, yet the dome goes on & off when open & close the door.
But my locks still don't lock when put in gear.
I checked several s10's, blazers, bravadas & all have the pass side wired.
So I'm thinking it might b a crew thing.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

According to my manual there is a switch that is integral with both the right and left door handles. The left one shows circuits for door handle and dome light and the right one shows circuits for the key buzzer as well as the door handle and dome light. Having replaced a door handle once I think you'll find the electrics are part of the latch mechanism and not directly attached to the handles. This might explain some of your "strange" electrical problems. Additionally the manual shows some of the circuits for pickup only and an additional one for utility (crewcab) only. I would post the page to show this but have no way to do so. If you can get access to an oem manual this info is from volume 3 section 8-332 thru 8-334 and also shows how the bcm is integrated into these circuits.

As far as the lock when put in gear I don't know. Perhaps a dealer programmable option? I had an older Caravan that was programmable that way. My 01 CC does not lock as a function of gear position or vehicle speed either and never did since new.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Next time you go out to your truck in the dark pull a door handle before you unlock it. Youll notice the dome light comes on. The handles have a connection to the dome light as mentioned above. Thats probably why it comes on. The latch also has some electronics portion to it. I had to replace my driver side one and it has 3 different plugs in it.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
huminajumina

Post by huminajumina »

Did you find anything?? I am currently troubleshooting the same issue, All my doors lock when in gear, and my dome light usually goes out when I shut all doors, occasionally I will have to over ride it.... A few times my alarm went off in the middle of the night, I have to manually push all the locks on the doors so the alarm won't go off in the middle of the night.... I replaced the drivers side door switch and it didn't fix it, should I just buy all the other 3?? I feel like mine is more of a intermittent door switch, but I'm not sure...... Also keep in mind, yours may be more than one issue maybe the door handle and the door switch, or you could (less likely) have a bad wire going to the BCM.... Like I said I am still working on tracking mine down too, so hopefully I can figure it out and give you some advice...
huminajumina

Post by huminajumina »

For the record, I have a passenger side door switch that is wired, the harness comes from the top, kinda where the passenger side vent is, and has the 3-wires just like the drivers side... I have an '03 crew cab ZR5 with most of your option codes...I'm going to replace it today and see, that is wierd that you guys just have a switch with no wires....
stonoma

Post by stonoma »

Having same issues. 2003 zr5, locks go off while driving alarm sounds when sitting. The airbag light stayed on fit 30 min while driving. Did any of you guys find the problem? Does anyone have any ideas!?
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

My switch is not wired if someone wants it ill gladly remove it and give it to them!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ