Wiring a glove box light

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wiring a glove box light

Post by _STUCKY »

I read on here that GM deleted the glove box light on some models. So, while pillaging interior parts from a 98 Oldsmobile Bravada, I pulled the glove box light. One would think that GM would have left this seemingly pointless little detail alone.

Whilst wiring a glove box light into one of these trucks, You may think, "Hey, these wires are right here. Certainly, they do something. Certainly, there is power to these."

Well as far as I can tell, they do nothing. It appears that the switch they are plugged into only fills the hole. I could not get a test light to light up off of these. No dice. Which was disappointing since the wires are so close to each other.

So I went off of the light directly under the glove box. The orange wire is a constant hot. Power, check.

I made the mistake of splicing the ground to the white wire coming away from the light. This was wrong. With the glove box light hooked up this way, it would only work with the interior lights on. No deal, try again. Looking around in there, and touching the ground wire to different things, revealed a good candidate for a ground.

And now I have a glove box light.
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Wiring a glove box light

Post by mars2878 »

nice.
i didnt even noctice if i have 1 or not, now i feel the need to check.
:)
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

I finally checked today, my truck does have one.
one less thing to mod. :lol:
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

My 03 doesnt have one, I noticed before I even bought it and thought it was very odd since every other truck I saw had one. Ive since found one in an Hombre that I plan on splicing in.

Stucky, those wires that appear to do nothing are the pass door trigger for the interior lights, they are a ground trigger so ya, no power there.