Anyone using Dash Command or other wifi/bluetooth obd2 scan

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone using Dash Command or other wifi/bluetooth obd2 scan

Post by OrlandoSonomazr5 »

Like in a previous post I stated I recently replaced my stock headunit with a Pioneer AVH-X3600bhs - Which I got from Crutchfield on a great deal including all installation parts and adapters. I also purchased the Iphone Video adapter which works with this headunit via A app called "App-radio" you can use certain apps from your phone right on the headunits nearly 7" display. When I first read about it I was skeptical how well it would work but it works like a dream. My now non navigational heanunit has been turned into a GPS by Iphone and apps like "Waze". But the one app that really sealed the deal for me is called Dash Command.

You use it in conjunction with a wifi or Bluetooth(depending on Android vs ios) OBD2 scanner which you can get the ELM327 off ebay for under $20. I opted to go with a slightly more expensive scanner form Vgate which cost $30 for the better reputation, actual facts about the product, and software it used. Then I downloaded Dash Command for $9 and the PIDs for GM for another $9. So all in all $50 for the scanner and software but like i said could be done cheaper using cheaper components and software. This was just my choice.

I can now read live data from my OBD2 port right to my radios headunit (while still streaming bluetooth from the iphone to the headunit) Its an awesome tool and resource to have and the Fuel Mileage Calculations are priceless and so is the data logging. Here is a video I did not make it just using it as a example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DIh4u0bAgY
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Anyone using Dash Command or other wifi/bluetooth obd2 s

Post by HenryJ »

Looks pretty cool. I have been using an ELM37 and Torque (free app). Works well :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do you like Torque? Does it it show you Oil Pressure? Thats the only PID I can't seem to display and the the trucks dash as a oil pressure gauge which I would hardly believe could be mechanical so the ECU has to be providing that info. Just can't seem to tap into it. still trying though.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No oil pressure on it that I see. Haven't been using it much since my Bully Dog does most of the same stuff. I keep it around in case I need to diagnose stuff the bullydog will not do :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

What year truck did you put that Pioneer in? I've got a 2002 which I'm pretty sure is just 1.5 DIN and I really don't want to change the dash out to put a radio like that in it. Does the Dash command app has trans temp as one of the PIDs? Looks like I could keep my steering wheel controls with that radio as well by adding an additional harness as well. I have a ScanGaugeII which I like, but doesn't really have a good place to sit, and it would be nice to have everything integrated.

Well kinda bites you have to have the phone always connected to the radio for that. Would be nice if they made a touchscreen radio that you could purchase an app and just have it downloaded to the radio so even if you didn't have your phone connected it would still show you all the information.
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a 2002/2003 with the cd player and tape player so I believe it was a double din. Either way the Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS fit Perfectly clean install with parts from crutchfield.

Yes it sucks that you need to have your phone connected to use it it. But I've found once I connect my phone I don't need it anymore. I'm able to talk and text through Blue tooth, Use Waze, and other apps, and still listen to music. Its a lil difficult to learn navigation at first, but once you figure it out its easy to get around to what you need. Only thing that sucks is you need to use wifi with Iphone and sometimes the phone has a issues figuring out where to pull data from anbd you loose LTE data.