Temp read out

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Temp read out

Post by Don »

Hey guys, anyone had trouble with the overhead console thermometer?

I was wondering where the sensor is located for it. It seems to be reading alot hotter than the actual outside temp. :?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

On hot days mine tends to read about 5-6 degrees high, in the evenings it is about 3-4 degrees --- I generally take 4 degrees of mentally and deal with it.

I took it to the dealer when my blazer was still under warranty, and as usual, they said that they werent able to find anything worng with it.

I swear I think a dealership is the worst place to take a vehicle --- don't even get me started on the time I had to have my crankshaft replaced in the LD9 motor in my Z24.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

About the same readings

Post by Don »

Yeah, thats about like mine...I guess we can only guesstimate what the real temp is huh?? :P

I know what ya mean bout those one star dealerships... :wink:
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

they pick up heat off of the a/c condensor and the rad when it is really warm out. mine usually reads 2 deg warmer than it actually is but is bang on when on the freeway.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Temp read out

Post by HenryJ »

Don wrote:Hey guys, anyone had trouble with the overhead console thermometer?

I was wondering where the sensor is located for it. It seems to be reading alot hotter than the actual outside temp. :?
Mine seems to read pretty close once a little air is moving.

The sensor is behind the grille on the hood latch support.

I know there is a way to recalibrate the compass , but I am not aware of a way to calibrate the temp.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

the factory service manual does not say that you can recalibrate the temperature reading other than replacing the sensor which probably won't help, although different sensors for different years read differently as I found out when I replaced mine. Each years sensor has a different part number and some years have two part numbers each of which is defferent but they look the same, but beware they don't read the same.

They changed the signal each year that goes from the oh console to the sensor by a few mV and it changes the way the sensor reads.

that spellcheck is great :thumb:

Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I knew HenryJ would know where its at...

Post by Don »

Well, when I posted, I knew ole HenryJ would know where that sucker was....and yer right Dragonmaster...each year will vary in Temp...guess we're just stuck with an average Temp of sorts... :lol:

Ya think this day and age though they could come up with something a little more precise.. :roll:

While I'm at it...anybody ever have any of the red stuff apear on yer intake manifold right under the thermostat housing??

I was doing a little house keeping and noticed a small amount there, and wondered if it had eaten through already....hahaha...

Anyone know if you drain the red and put in the green if it will void the warranty???

Thanks men...
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

it shouldn't as there is a service bulletin stating to do exactly that if there are problems with the dex-cool.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: I knew HenryJ would know where its at...

Post by HenryJ »

Don wrote:While I'm at it...anybody ever have any of the red stuff apear on yer intake manifold right under the thermostat housing??

I was doing a little house keeping and noticed a small amount there, and wondered if it had eaten through already....hahaha...
I've had some there several times :D a couple times it was the gasket, the other times were my fault.

First check the thermostat housing bolts to make sure they are snug (don't over torque! they are threaded into aluminum!). Our thermostat uses a channel o-ring to seal, if it is seaping replace the seal. It will cost about $5 at your GM dealer, or $2 at the local auto parts.

Do the repairs with the engine cold. Relieve the pressure by opening the cap, then close it. Lift the heater hose from the plastic bracket on the front bolt and pull the bracket off the stud. Remove the top of the TB intake and using a 10mm socket or wrench take the throttle cable bracket loose. You will need it removed for clearance to raise the housing. Then using a 13mm deep socket (I use a 1/4" drive set) take out the two bolts/studs lift up the housing and remove the thermostat. replace the gasket that fits around the edge of the stat.

Now when you are re-installing the stat pay close attention to make sure that it is centered. The pressure relief bypass (that spring loaded washer "thingy") tends to lift a little and can cause it to go off center sometimes.

Push the housing down while you start and tighten the bolts.

Reassemble everything, then make sure that the coolant recovery tank is full to the hot mark and fill what you can in the radiator.

You should have lost only about a quart of coolant in the swap so, squeeze the upper radiator hose with both hands to purge the air back to the tank, do this several times until you hear only coolant be pushed to the tank . Make sure to refill the recovery tank to the hot mark. You're done!
Anyone know if you drain the red and put in the green if it will void the warranty???
I suppose that depends on your dealership.

If you had a problem ,and the failure was directly related to the change in coolant, then they could deny the claim. I'm betting that if you are on good terms with them , there would be no problems.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Men...

Post by Don »

Again my compliments to the crew here, its great to have those that have "Been there,done that", nice to know when ya have a question or problem there's a site like this...Thanks HenryJ for the detailed walk through on the stat change.

Keep up the good work... :D