Wiring Relays for Off-road lights

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wiring Relays for Off-road lights

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I have a ? about it--I know how to wore relay bacnks and such, I've been in the 12V electronics industry for years, but is there enough current drawn by a single 100-130 watt light to need a separate relay for each light, or would I be ok running one relay to both lights?

I'm looking at a pair of 6 inchers for off-road, and a pair of rectangular running/fog lights for everyday use, oh, and a pair of lights on the rear of the truck for backing up.

while talking about it--i know for the full sizes there is a mod that can be done to make the highbeams and low beams all run together when you are running your headlamps in higbeam mode, instead of the lowbeams turning off -- anyone know if it's possible on the S-10's?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes brule knows how to get your headlights to be on with hi's and low's...

and i have 2 6" 100watt pro comp lights. and they are ran off a single switch.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Did you wire those with the stock fog light wiring or run your own wiring and switch?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

my won stuff...but dont kid your self...its a gheto setup
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Wiring Relays for Off-road lights

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:I have a ? about it--I know how to wore relay bacnks and such, I've been in the 12V electronics industry for years, but is there enough current drawn by a single 100-130 watt light to need a separate relay for each light, or would I be ok running one relay to both lights?
I would think you'd be just fine.
Somewhere there is a formula for converting watts to amp draw. You might try asking Seapahn, seems like it was a post of his that I saw it.
while talking about it--i know for the full sizes there is a mod that can be done to make the highbeams and low beams all run together when you are running your headlamps in higbeam mode, instead of the lowbeams turning off -- anyone know if it's possible on the S-10's?
Quadbeam Headlight Mod

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Doogy
Regular
Regular

Post by Doogy »

Power (watts)=Current (Amps) X Volts OR Current = Watts divided by Voltage. Thats about all I remember from a $10,000 college education. :lol: :lol:
Doogy
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

so in otherwords,

a 130watt light, on a 12 volt system has a current draw of about 10.8 Amp draw. double that for both lights,a nd I'm well under the 30 amp relay, so I should be good running both lights off of one relay.

Since I'm running the 100 watt lights, and an alternator really puts out closer to 14 volts, I should be plenty safe.

Thanks again guys.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Time to resurrect this topic...

So from what I've read in this and other posts, I could use the stock fog light wiring (even if my truck isn't equipped with them) to power off-road lights, but they'll only work when the low beams are on, right? What are the wires for the stock fog lights and their function (color, +, -, etc.)
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
code3crew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

off road lights

Post by code3crew »

off road lights are cool but if they are a halogen light they are going to draw current like crazy! but other bulbs are not that bad. what would work great is a pair of custom L.E.D. (light emitting diodes) floods as they draw comparitivly little current to a standard bulb. You could even mount them behind the grill to be hidden.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: off road lights

Post by AZS10Crew »

code3crew wrote:off road lights are cool but if they are a halogen light they are going to draw current like crazy! but other bulbs are not that bad. what would work great is a pair of custom L.E.D. (light emitting diodes) floods as they draw comparitivly little current to a standard bulb. You could even mount them behind the grill to be hidden.
Behind the grill? Bah! I'll have none of that! :mrgreen:

(see my other post about the light bar I just ordered)
[size=75]Mark
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I decided to forget the factory wiring and i installed a pair of 30 amp relays for a pair of driving lights and a pair of 100watt pro-comps. i did all of my wiring a week or 2 back , and tied in a pair of slim 55 watt beams under the rear bumper to help with backing up in the dark.

I mounted all of my relays under the battery tray- down with the 4wd actuator.

so all my switches and wiring are done, I'm just waiting on that fat guy with the beard and red suit to bring me some lights to bolt up.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS