Sonoma CLEAR HEADLIGHT MOD INFO.

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Sonoma CLEAR HEADLIGHT MOD INFO.

Post by 2bunik »

I emailed ten people on a dakota forum... and I got one response..

You set the oven to 350 degrees. for ten minutes. once its hot you stick it on there with the lens side up.. for 5 minutes. then you remove the light from the oven and try to seperate the lens from the assembly. If you cant. you let it cool and then try again for ten minutes this time. It should work then..
once open. you can yank out the plastic orange reflector.
to reassemble you put the seperate pieces back in the oven for the same time as before. then pRess it back together. he said if the glue wont soften up to put it back together. you can get some double epoxy.(you know the two tubes that look like syrings and you have to squirt and mix the hardener and the base.)he said that will seall it back up..

HOWEVER I DONT HAVE THE B*LLS TO TRY IT..... SOME ONE WANT TO GIVE IT A SHOT? Image
iKNOW THIS ISNT A DAKOTA. BUT THEY DO IT ..
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I have mentioned this a LONG time ago.. Someone who has a sonoma zq8 has done this and it worked real well. I wouldn't mind doing this mod. Even if it doesn't reseal, nothing alot of silicone can't handle :lol:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

:shock: I wouldn't put these things in the oven, most guys just use a hair dryer.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I have mentioned this a LONG time ago.. Someone who has a sonoma zq8 has done this and it worked real well. I wouldn't mind doing this mod. Even if it doesn't reseal, nothing alot of silicone can't handle
what is a sonoma zq8? :P do you know they guys email adress who did it. or some pics...
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

It's the Sonoma qith the 2 inch lower suspension and 16 inch rims (RPO code ZQ8)-- The same code applies to Chevy and GMC models. (I think it does at least -- just like the Z71 off road package applies -- aren't the GMC Highriders still a ZR2 RPO code for the package?)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

very interesting.......might think of doing it....but like Dragon master said...i'm not to fond of putting them in the oven ... :?:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I have a bad habit of putting things in the oven and forgetting them. Just ask my wife about dinner the other night! I'd rather burn up a Stouffer's family dinner than one of my lights from my truck!
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I have a bad habit of putting things in the oven and forgetting them. Just ask my wife about dinner the other night! I'd rather burn up a Stouffer's family dinner than one of my lights from my truck!
EVER HEARD OF A TIMER ? :lol:
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

CAN SOMEONE steal some pics and post them on this site.
sound domain is not work friendly... :!:
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

2bunik wrote:
EVER HEARD OF A TIMER ? :lol:
Yep, got one. Just can't hear the darned thing when I'm in the garage messing with my truck! :lol:
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

Yeah well i tried the mod and if i have any advice to others...stay away from this mod.....the damn oven cooked my lenses....mostly the bracket holding the fog lights :x :x :x ... So i had to run to canadian tire and buy some clear corner lenses for a 98 and up but without the factory fogs...still looks good but i would've prefered to have my factory fogs :twisted: I have no idea what went wrong. And even worse the damn lense wouldn't come off of the assembly :!: Forget this mod unless you have some money to through outthe window

Chris
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:!: :!: :( sorry to hear about that. but please provide us with some details. what temp did u have on the oven how long were they on ther and what not. please.. thank you ..
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

well I tried this as well. I put the oven at 350 and let it warm up for about 5 min than put the light in lens facing up for about 2 min. than took them out and tried to separate no luck put it back in for another 3 min and tried it again still could not separate them :x at this point i gave up I didn't want them to blister or worse. I may try it agene.... :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

christian wrote:Yeah well i tried the mod and if i have any advice to others...stay away from this mod.....the damn oven cooked my lenses....mostly the bracket holding the fog lights ...
:?: I thought yours was a S-10? This is for the GMC guys to try.
Though I would think that a heat gun-
would be much safer.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sonoma Headlight Reflector Removal
Blackhighrider wrote: OK, I've seen a few Sonoma's on here with the reflector removed, and read a few places of people doing it but I finally got the guts to do it. It was actually pretty easy!

1. Of Course, remove the headlight pulling up the plastic tabs that hold in the headlight and remove the bulb, careful not to touch it with unclean hands.

2. Now remove the small metal clips on each headlight assembly being careful not to tear off the rubber gasget.

3. Preheat the oven to 350dg. I placed my headlights one at a time on a cookie sheet on top of a paper towel (lense down) and placed them in the oven, setting the timer for 6 minutes.

4. Once the 6 minutes is up, I removed the headlight and immediately took a couple of screwdrivers and start prying the edges of the clear lens away from the black housing. Once I got it far enough up on one end to fit my fingers in, I start pulling it apart with one hand while gently prying around the edges until the entire lense comes off. Remove the lense slowly, being sure not to put too much pressure on and weak points causing them to break. The reflector should fall right out. Be careful when prying not to stick the screwdriver too far in scratching the chrome inside the housing.

5. Now comes the time consuming part... Scrape all of the old silicone off of the edge of the clear lense and out of the channel of the black housing. After that, clean out the housing and the lense of any debri.

6. To seal these back up, I used a small tube of clear silicone. I ran a thick bead in the channel of the housing and gently placed the clear lense back in place, being sure that the edge of it fit snugly into the channel of the housing.

7. After the headlight is re-assembled, replace the metal clips in their original location. This will also help hold the light together while drying

--------------------
Chris

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Well it looks like this works.

The method I have heard of from the guys ripping headlights apart over at hidplanet is a little different.

They recomend 250 degrees. Let oven warm up completly, then turn oven off, place headlight in oven for 8 miinutes and it should just fall apart when removed.

But from what I have heard over there the domestic sometimes is a little different.

I do know that on my Bravada I was able to remove the lens without any heat at all, just a little time and patience.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I used a heat gun, plastic wedges and some patience. It took a while, but the result was good. Image

This mod is not legal in my state, but the police dont care. So I must use the FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY disclaimer!!! :lol:
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
shift220

Post by shift220 »

I've also done this to my Sonoma headlights. I forget what temperature I set the oven at (probably around 250). First I let the oven heat up fully, then I took a baking pan and placed the headlight lens down on it (don't worry, it will not scratch it or melt it). I left it in there for about 2 minutes then tried to pry it apart. If it wouldn't budge I would leave it in longer each time until it did.

You have to be very careful when prying the black plastic away from the lense as it chips off very easily. After I resealed it with some clear silicon and put in some yellow bulbs.
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

shift220 wrote: After I resealed it with some clear silicon and put in some yellow bulbs.
What exactly is the idea of yellow bulbs? Are you turning them into fog lights. I think that sorta beats the purpose of making clear lights would'nt it? IMO Fill me in.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The turn signal and marker lamps are required to be amber in color.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
shift220

Post by shift220 »

I only replaced the turn signal bulbs with yellow colored ones to keep it sort of legal. And they only appear yellow when your looking at them from straight on. As you walk to the side the yellow starts to fade off. It still looks 150% better then it was (especially with my billet grille)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rumor has it that there are amber LED bulbs out there. I have not yet seen them, and they may require a different flasher unit, or load enhancer to work properly.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I have seen bulbs at the local Advanced Auto Parts or Auto Zone that are chrome im color but light up amber. Supposed to be for that "true" clear corner look. Just replacement bulbs. No need for LED. I have not tried them though. Anyone else heard of these?
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Pauleo wrote:I have seen bulbs at the local Advanced Auto Parts or Auto Zone that are chrome im color but light up amber. Supposed to be for that "true" clear corner look. Just replacement bulbs. No need for LED. I have not tried them though. Anyone else heard of these?
I have them there made buy silverstar
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]