DOES ANY ONES HIGH BEAMS LIGHT UP WITH DRL's?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

DOES ANY ONES HIGH BEAMS LIGHT UP WITH DRL's?

Post by 2bunik »

does anyones high beams light up with DRL's . reason I ask is cause markcc is trying to wire the quad mod but he says his high beams light up 50% with DRLs.. does anyone else have this problem. ? :!: I know mine dont do this. I thought only canada had this problem? someone please shed some light on this topic.
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: DOES ANY ONES HIGH BEAMS LIGHT UP WITH DRL's?

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:does anyones high beams light up with DRL's ....
My high beams are the DRL, that is why I had to use a relay for quads.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

This Quad High beam topic got really big!

my 02 highbeams are used for the DRL and I'm pretty sure mine are at 50% strength or so similar to other GM trucks(newer GMs appear to use Foglights for the DRL now).

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

am i not understanding your question?

thats what drl's are 50% of high beams...you can turn them on and off by pushing the over ride button 4 times
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

markcc is trying to install quad mod on his truck but the 50% highbeams are ruining everything for his install. i guess it clicks over the relay and lights up the lows too. I dont have highbeam drls. so mine worked out good. I was hoping someone who does have the same DRLs could shed some light on the subject
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:... I dont have highbeam drls. so mine worked out good....
If your DRL are not the high beam lamps, but instead use the low beam lamps, you do not need a relay... just ground the yellow wire.
Just splicing and grounding the solid yellow wire to the bolt in the radiator support behind the turn signal assy. will turn on the low beams anytime the highbeams are on.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

Ok, I know this thread is a little old, but hopefully somebody will reply since I'm new.... :D

Anyway, from what I have read on this wonderfull site, basically for the QUAD light mod, and if HAVE HIGH beam DRL, you must use a relay correct? I have high beam drl, and I noticed on the low beam harness,
there are two yellow wires........ Others have said that gruonding the yellow wire will made the QUAD lights work, but disable the DRL all together which is fine by me...... :?: I'm confused, I'm going off :

http://www.geocities.com/mrweller21/s10headlightmod
http://www.fmtc.com/~brule/quad.html

Can anybody clarify who has done this?

thanks, this is my first post
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

twodoorblazer wrote:Ok, I know this thread is a little old, but hopefully somebody will reply since I'm new.... :D

Anyway, from what I have read on this wonderfull site, basically for the QUAD light mod, and if HAVE HIGH beam DRL, you must use a relay correct? I have high beam drl, and I noticed on the low beam harness,
there are two yellow wires........ Others have said that gruonding the yellow wire will made the QUAD lights work, but disable the DRL all together which is fine by me...... :?: I'm confused, I'm going off :

http://www.geocities.com/mrweller21/s10headlightmod
http://www.fmtc.com/~brule/quad.html

Can anybody clarify who has done this?

thanks, this is my first post
First , welcome!

The sites refer to my page, and Mr.Weller needs to update his information. That was the first try and proved to be incorrect.

We have been through many changes to arrive at the combination that does work. It is the second link you listed.

This mod affects the DRL in no way.

Just grounding the yellow wire will give you both quad beams and quad DRL.

I don't think anyone here has disabled the DRL. We can just push the dome light switch four times and disable them. Of course you have to do that each time that you restart the truck.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

I have the high beam DRL, I took the driver's side head light out, and where is this yellow wire? I see two yellow wires going to the low beam harness bulb socket (none on the high beam side).........what one is it?

Is it one main yellow wire farther back, or just one of the smaller yelloewones?

Basically, from what I understand, just grounding the yellow wire (when I figure out what one that is) will produce quad drl, to maintain the normal HIGH only DRL, you need the relay correct?
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:( http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=725

Check out the drl topic which took forever to figure out.. if you look at the very end it has the working up to date wiring of the relay.. I havent messed with the relay since I got back from my deployment.. I will look into it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. But if I remember correctly the yellow wire does come from the bulb.. see . when your high beams come on ! the low beams need power (in this case ground) too.. so all you are doing is grounding the low beams out. so when high beams come on.. low beams get ground an lstay lit up too.. Henry J will hook you up better than I can.. but read the other topic completly first and make sure you remove you healight so you can get a good picture in your head.. then try it.. I say hook up a relay like everyone else... sorry . I couldnt help much more.. (bad memory) :!:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

twodoorblazer wrote: Is it one main yellow wire farther back, or just one of the smaller yelloewones?
Does this picture help? It is a smaller wire. Ignore the tapped purple wire, we have since changed the way this is set up.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

I understand the topic and idea behind it all, I'm just hung up on all the different stories I've heard......

My goal is to not have DRL< but have QUAD lights at night........

I have HIGH beam DRL, I took the head light out, on the high beam socket there are purple and green wires....no yellow

On the low beam side there are two yellow wires going to the bulb (and a couple other colors).....

I've studied the picture, I just can't tell what yellow wire.... How close is the yellow wire you are splicing to the socket? DO I have to add a relay if I don't want DRL? I just want quad lights, and again, I have high beam DRL (1999 s10)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Are you sure there are two yellow wires?
Not one yellow and one yellow w/black stripe?

Disabling the DRL is a whole different operation. I've heard rumors of cutting a wire under the driverside carpet, or bending the ear over on the DRL relay.
I haven't done that though.

If you do get your DRL disabled you probably won't need the relay, just ground the yellow wire.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

HenryJ wrote: Disabling the DRL is a whole different operation..
this is very true.. Disabling Drls is very different.. I suggest first trying to disable DRLs then working on the quad beam mod.. It will be easier to do the Quad mod last.. Then (once the DRLS are disabled) you wont need the relay..
OK so to diasble the DRLS.. According to what I have HEARD..
You can do this by bending the DRL relay pin number "5" I came up with a better solution if you want to try it.
it has not been tested remember, but if you have time this might work.. I

Was going to make some jumper wires. 2 inches long with an speaker connector (female) and skinny (male) connectors on the other.

then I was going to remove the DRL Relay.

connect all my jumper wires to it and then stuff the male ends in the holes where the relay goes..

Break down.. all I am doing is kind remote locating the relay.. It will still be hooked up cause of the jumper wires and therfore DRL's Should still work.. However now you can remove one jumper wire at a time to see which wire disables them. Why jumper all these prongs. because if you bend it there is a possability it will break when you try to bend it back. and since this hasnt been tested you really dont want to end up bending all the pins back and forth. I dont think a realy is cheap for our trucks. but i could be wrong..
If it were my guess.. when you look at the relay there are three prongs on top and two on the bottom. If you are looking at the prongs it will be the bottom left prong that need to be disconnected.

Once you figure out which prong it is then you can tell us all :D .. Honestly I dont think it would take but an hour to make and test this setup.. oooh . You can use the jumper wires for testing purposes only, break the prong and have no drls. OR keep the jumpers remove the wire that need to be removed secure the humg relayy, the have no DRLs but if you want to go back any day you just then remove the wires... I really have no time to try this right now but If no one does it I might have to..
8) I hope I helped..
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

somthing to try...

Post by KCustom »

When I conected my high 4 relay I had a problem with the high beam indicator coming on low beam only...I switched the wires on 87 and 30 on the relay and the problem went away.....My high 4 works great. When I want to disable the Day time running lights I just use the dome light switch ...
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

HenryJ wrote:Are you sure there are two yellow wires?
Not one yellow and one yellow w/black stripe?

Disabling the DRL is a whole different operation. I've heard rumors of cutting a wire under the driverside carpet, or bending the ear over on the DRL relay.
I haven't done that though.

If you do get your DRL disabled you probably won't need the relay, just ground the yellow wire.
Ok Ok, at a closer inspectin, there are two wires, you are correct, one yellow, one yellow with black stripe. SO, what if my DRL are not disabled, will just grounding the yellow wire on the low beam socket do the job giving me QUAD lights at night? or will this cause all 4 to be on in the daytime too?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

twodoorblazer wrote:... SO, what if my DRL are not disabled, will just grounding the yellow wire on the low beam socket do the job giving me QUAD lights at night? or will this cause all 4 to be on in the daytime too?
Yes on both accounts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

Ok, then by adding the relay as shown in the pic you posted before, that will give QUAD lights, but only the DRL high beams will be on normally in the day time and not all 4 lights as DRL correct?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

Sounds good..... I will be doing this on this weekend....

Also, about the DRL disabling, I found this for adding a swtich, I noticed you mentioned hearing about the relay under the dash, again a yellow wire. As this guy did, I'm looking to put in a little switch to intertupt this wire and choose when I want DRL. I also put in the AHL switch this guy shows as well...... That works great, but I'm trying to go completely dark at night not to drive around with no lights or something stupid)
, I just want manual control of my lights for when I want to, then the majority of the time let the auto systems function as normal

http://www.higherpowered.net/zr2/docs/drl2.html

Anybody see this relay ever
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

Anyone ever see that relay or know what I'm saying?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OMG, I am so tatally confused. I did the quad mod descibed on this great site and all worked as explained. I have a 2002 crew, apparently w/o Canadian relays. I then went after disabling the the DRLs. My 97 ZR2 only required a simple fuse removal. I checked here and all the other S series site for ideas. I bent over #86 pin (now my DRLs are the low beams and possibly all four but, I ain't leaving it out of park to get out and check and if I ask wife, then my honey do list will expand greatly). I jumpered #30 and 87A and left the relay out (suggested elsewhere). I refuse to push something 4x to get rid of something I don't want. If anyone else has had successful disabling of DRLs, and the quad mod on a '02, please take the time to explain. The AHLs don't bother me because at 53 I am likely to forget my name, let alone to turn stuff on and off. But if someone knows that you must disable AHL to have the DRLs hit the deep six and have the quad mod please help. Otherwise, you guys have a super site (I know, I looked at alot) and I feel at home here.

Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Bending down pin 86 worked fine for me to disable the DRL's. I don't have the quad beam thing done on mine though. I checked mine by pulling into the garage and looking ahead to see if the DRL's were still on. Maybe try pulling close to a wall or something like that or drive around until you're behind a big milk tanker that's all chrome or something to see your reflection. 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mark,
Thanks alot, I knew I had several options other, than to ask my wife to assist.
I just knew that my DRLs went from my reduced high beams to full intensity low beams (and put unwanted hours on my new low beam silver stars) and I wasn't sure if all four were lit up as some have experienced. I'll reread everything and keep looking. Lawd, I miss the days of my '69 Z28 when I could work on things and such do such radical things like take the belt off the newly introduced "smog" pump and pick up a couple of hp.

Thanks Again!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Like Mark, I bent pin 86 to disable the DRL. After seeing that it worked, I just cut the d@mn pin off. I have not done the quad light mod.
Perhaps it's the combination of both that have caused your problem.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Retep wrote:...Perhaps it's the combination of both that have caused your problem...
The Quadbeam Headlight Mod linked should not be part of the problem here since it does nothing until the highbeam headlamps are activated.

Is it possible that the AHL are activated by the deactivated terminal in the DRL relay?

If you press the dome light button four times do the "now DRL lows" go out?

Are we working on "apples and apples", what year models are we all talking about here?

Are they all highbeam reduced intensity DRL?

All have AHL?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

2002 crew with DRLs and AHLs. Mine was reduced intensity high beam for the DHLs. Now, it's low beam for DRLs. Rain is prdected all weekend so I am gonna undo the quad mod, and see if I can knock out the DRL situation. I may have done things backsward.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... I am gonna undo the quad mod, and see if I can knock out the DRL situation. I may have done things backsward.
That wouild explain alot ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, as I stated earlier , maybe I should have hung on to that 69 Z and I see that they are now going for around 39k with numbers matching. Will start from scatch, thankyou one and all
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... thankyou one and all
Better save the thank you's for when the problems are solved ;) :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I quite agree! I just wanted to express my appreciation for any and all help. Have had to walk away from my crew and take a break before I entirely lose my cool. I started rereading threads and working on it at 6AM and it is now close to 1PM. If it wasn't raining like h_ll I'd be on the deck getting a little sun and having a couple cold ones. Have already decided that the brush guard is in a temp. isolation in the corner of the garage with all the nuts and bolts in a ziplock taped to it.

Reed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... the brush guard is in a temp. isolation in the corner of the garage with all the nuts and bolts in a ziplock taped to it.
Oh no :!:
I hope it won't be another "Conman install"
His stuff sat in the garage, never got installed, sold the truck, and now sits in the garage waiting to be sold.
Do youself a favor...."get'r dun" , afterall "You're not sugar, You won't melt" ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Oh no, i't not an install problem with thw brush guard, I am tired of taking it on and off every time I remove the %*^$$@@*** headlights. If anyone needs a pit crewman who specializes in brushguards, look me up!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Oh no, i't not an install problem...
Wheew, :oops: I was worried for a little bit ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK