Disabling the DRL

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Disabling the DRL

Post by 2bunik »

Split this topic to make it easier to search for and keep both topics in line-HJ

:( sorry guys I have been so busy with packing I havent had time to mess with the truck for the quad mod. I really wish I had time to help you guys work on this since alot of brains are better than one. I am gonna disable my system by unpluging my fuse while I am gonne . so the wife dont have any problems with it. I was however looking to disable the DRls by removing the #C5 prong on the relay. I looked at the schematics and I felt this would do the trick. :?

HERE IS SOMETHING SOMEONE MAY LOOK INTO>>(ideas from my brain for u to ponder.)
http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/mayhem/DRL.jpg
schematics above

Ok if you look at the schematics. prong #C5 going to the drl relay in the fuse box. That also goes to the BCM. (i dont know what the BCM is ) The way I see it. that line is negative and the one one the other side of the DRL relay is posative at all times (schematics say so).so the BCM would send a negative signal to the relay causing the relay to actuate and cause the drls to turn on. If the relay stays open like it always is your headlights work normal (without DRLS) .. what I was thinking was ..(I dont want to break the relay).is solder 2 inch wires to all the prongs. except the C5 or negative prong. then stuff the other end of the wires into their respective sockets. all you are really doing is adding extensions to the relay for testing purposes. so now all the wires are back in the slots and the relay is chilling on the fusebox. still attached by the wires. EXCEPT the one prong C5 .. the relay will still be able to stay open this way but not click over because there is no ground. if it works . you should not have DRLs and your AHLs should still work. your lights should still work normaly. THEN BINGO you can cut off the prong and call it a day. if it dont work.. you can unsolder the wires and install the relay and come up with some other form of trying it out.... I was goning to try it but I dont have time. I know it sounds hard but it really isnt . just think of what I said... what might be a good idea is to wire up the c5 prong and put it in its respective place just to be sure all the connections are working. then remove it to test it. SOMEONE TELL ME IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND OR YOU THINK IM GOING OVER BOARD.....I WILL READ YOU REPLY IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS :) J/K BEST I COULD DO. :cry:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:...(i dont know what the BCM is ) ....solder 2 inch wires to all the prongs.....
The BCM is the Body Control Module . It controls the functions for the body components just like the ECM (Engine Control Module) does for engine functions.
Instead of soldiering the wires terminal connectors (male and female spade connectors w/2" of wire each) could be used, making it "plug-n-play".

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:( why do I always go off topic ?

For the same reasons I do, it is human nature to keep the conversation going no matter which direction it leads ;) Feel free to start new topics-HJ
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

Before you leave.. make sure you check everything if you pull that fuse. I remember it shuts off something else too, can't remember if it's the whole left headlight or the fog lights. :)
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

When I installed the relay I also installed a fuse on the ground wire. in case I ever wanted to go back to stock with the simple pulling of a fuse.. I meant that that is the fuse I am gonna remove. :?