Radio Mod ( aux inputs )

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Radio Mod ( aux inputs )

Post by melloyellow »

Does anyone know if the radio on the 2003 S-10 has external inputs on the back? I am looking for a way to directly connect my iPod to the radio amplifier. I currently use a tape cartridge that does it but way to much hum.

Thanks
Bennie
[size=75]2003 Yellow S10 Crew Cab ZR5: SuperLiner, PA192 Lift, 3 Leaf Kit, Bilsten Shocks, Yokohama GeoLander A/T + II, ARE IIsi Tonneau Cover with Wing[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I didn't see any on mine when I removed me factory unit. It has RDS.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Nope...no external inputs. The best thing you can do with the stock head unit is replace it. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I could have sworn there was a thread discussing this, but I couldn't find it.

I use the Irock FM transmitter for my input.

What about NEO from this thread : Found a use for the AUX feature on the OEM Radio
I'm not an "audio-phile" so this may be a totally different application :roll:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

I think I am going to order this unit next week for my truck. I don't think it will help with what you are wanting to do tho...

Product detail
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK, I removed my cassette player, now why can't I use the connection to play my DVD player through it's inputs?

Here is what is available - Battery positive voltage, Entertainment and comfort serial data, ground, remote playback device audio common signal, remote playback device left audio signal, remote playback device right audio signal, instrument panel lamp fuse signal voltage , radio on signal.

Why can't I wire a head phone jack to the audio signal wires and play it through the stock stereo?

I could wire up a switch for the radio on signal too.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i always look at things this way,if logic says it can be done ill do it, if i do and something isnt working there is a logical reason for it not to work,and then there has to be a way to make it work, or it will never ever work, the laws of physics are against it.sooooooooo what do i mean by all this nonsense, if you think it "should" work, give a whirl. :idea: and tell us how it went.
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Great, as usual I am on my own here :roll:

It can be done.

The audio inputs do indeed play the DVD player (I used a portable CD player for testing purposes) Now I just need to figure out how to simulate the cassette player having a tape in the deck to turn the input on.

So far four wires must be attached to the cassette player-
Battery positive voltage, Entertainment and comfort serial data, ground, radio on signal.

voltage and ground are easy they power the deck. serial data has 12 volts. radio on signal has 12 volts.

Disconnecting radio on signal while playing ejects the cassette and stops audio.

Disconnecting the serial data while playing disables the eject button, but audio continues.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make a switch to turn on the inputs?

I ran out of time tonight, but I'll give it a shot again soon , maybe.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Check the link on my post:
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1041

they had the aux in kit. They do list blazer 98-02 so maybe it will work on your truck. there are a few other makers(PIE and another that starts with a P) that make similar converters.

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Isn't it something that I can wire up myself, without spending $80 or more on a box?

Sure seems like $10 worth of parts at radio shack and I should be able to do anything :evil:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

http://store.myradiostore.com/auinad.html
http://store.myradiostore.com/gm12pcpiox.html

See if they have converters there too for your radio.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

ok as you can tell by my wiring I am not to shabby electrical things.. ok let me get this right you want to wire your (lets say cd player for now) cd player to play cds and you be able to hear it on your stock system ..correct? ok if I am wrong on what your intent is correct me.. but here I go.. one way which is the easiest is with the tape deck.. you can use the car kit I am using for my dvd player which in my opinion sounds great except for a slight hummmmmmm...

ok another way which is cheesy .. is to hook up an small amlipfier and run that to all four door speakers.. now you have rca inputs on the amp .. so you plug in your cd player to your amp using a headphone jack to rca converter.. or you can make one.. I might even have one lying around but im not sure.. ok so you set up your reomte wire to the amp on a switch if you want.. the amplifier is only used as a convertor and to amplify the sound from your cdplayer.. I do have an extra amp lying around.. .. so now all you do is hit the switch and push play on the cdplayer to hear sound.. I had a set up like this on my way back to vegas for my dvd player.. I suggest the cassette deck thing...

ok since you had the remote located casette deck you might be able to use those inputs ...if I read correctly.. you have a right and left channel. coming from your old tap deck to you radio.. I looked at the wiring schematic and it seems like if you put a headphone jcak it might work.. question though how many wires are in each channel.. in the rhchannel you should have a + and - for one side and then another+ and - for the other side.. try copying the link below into your browser..
http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/RetrieveTif?pic=564214
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The inputs are no problem and work, it is the activation of them that poses a problem.

Right now I can intercept the inputs from the cassette , attach my acecssory and play it through the stock head unit, but only when there is a tape in the deck and playing.

I need the correct voltage , lack thereof or signal for the remaining wires so that I can eliminate the cassette deck and use a simple switch to turn it on instead.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

oh.. well heck if you get it working then I might scoop up a wirng harness if its a plug and play action and work that into my dvd player.. .. that is really weird.. but definatly fixable.. maybe we can tinkle with it saturday..
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:oh.. well heck if you get it working then I might scoop up a wirng harness if its a plug and play action and work that into my dvd player.. .. that is really weird.. but definatly fixable.. maybe we can tinkle with it saturday..
:thumb:
Oh and tinkle'ing is done on the toilet...tinkering is done on a vehicle ;) :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:shock: :lol:
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

TTT
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Busy with enjoying the summer, and have had other "fires to put out".

I'd still like to delve further into this , but just haven't made the time.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

I was bored this AM so I did some looking. It appear that nothing is available for my 04 at this time. GM changed somethinbg and the PAC site states that the 04 s-10 etc... are excluded from their lists. Hopefully soon.

Thanx!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

shrubs2000 wrote:Accoridng to autotoys.com this is what is required:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product. ... t=0&page=1

However, I wimped out and bought a Belkin TunCast II last night. I wired it into the cigarette lights and it fits neatly in the ashtray. It was 39.99 so it will work OK for now....
This looks pretty good. It is the first one that I have seen listing the vehicles application, not just "GM pin count". It does refer to the cassette input and states that it plugs into the rear of the head unit.

I LIKE CLEAR INFORMATION! and lots of it!

This is the one for my 2001- GM9 AUX ADAPTER

This one gets my vote. It is spendy , but I'm going to reward the efforts with my $ and order one.

UPDATE: Order processed and received a tracking number. This outfit works pretty fast so far! I'll let you all know how things go :D So far "two thumbs up" for Autotoys.com

- ThunderII KE7CSK
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

HenryJ wrote:UPDATE: Order processed and received a tracking number. This outfit works pretty fast so far! I'll let you all know how things go :D So far "two thumbs up" for Autotoys.com

I have yet to hear anything bad about them.
Let me know if the harness works. I may go this route but it will have to be a little later. I've got some mods I have to buy for my Grand Prix first :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well, I can't say that I am pleased with them requiring a signature for delivery :mad: It took three trys to connect with UPS. I wish they (Autotoys) had not done that to me.

The unit works great the install took close to an hour, since you have to tear the dash apart and remove the head unit to gain access to the cable and connector.
I suppose you could plug it right into the cable that connected to the remote cassette player. Both male and female connectors are available for this reason.

I plugged right into the back of the head unit and barely had enough cable to extend down for mounting on the side of the center console. Another 6" of cable would have been nice.

It is really nice to just push the aux button and what ever is plugged into the RCA jacks plays through the stock stereo :D also no more batteries for the Irock and trying to find a clear station while traveling :D

Just the way I have been wanting it!

My thanks to all those who directed me to the right part :bow:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

HenryJ wrote:It is really nice to just push the aux button and what ever is plugged into the RCA jacks plays through the stock stereo :D also no more batteries for the Irock and trying to find a clear station while traveling
Excellent! I may go this route soon. I wired my RF Modulator into the cigarette lighter and so far so good in the local area. However like you mention, somtimes the RF is interfered with in from local stations.

Forrest
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, I read all of this correctly my stock 2002 rds/am/fm/6 CD changer head unit does not have an AUX audio input in the back of it? I purchased an XM radio with modulator (requiring a jack to plug into the existing FM radio to work).

There goes another perfectly good duck :bonk:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'd contact these guys , if you haven't already- Autotoys.com
Autotoys FAQ wrote: I have a 2002 Cadillac Escalade, with OnStar and a six disc CD changer. I would like to hook up my PLAYSTATION but don't like the noise from the FM modulator. Do you have an adapter that will plug right into the factory connectors
Solution If you have an EXTERNAL cd changer, see this

If you have an INTERNAL changer

Autotoys FAQ wrote: I have a 03 GMC Envoy with in dash 6 disc cd player and want to hook up a Sirius pnp unit. I 'm not sure which adapter will work. I don't have an xm radio or dvd entertainment.
Solution See link below

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I will HJ, thanks!!!!!!!!!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have it figured out now. It was my bad. I already have the adapters. I just wanted to make sure with my luck!