need help with amp

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

duce
Crew
Crew

need help with amp

Post by duce »

today i found out that my amp is not working :x so i checked all the usual stuff fuse,s and connections found the power cord was not connected at the point were i had to splice to pieces of wire together.so i reconnected them but still nothing i than had a friend of mine try playing with the wire at the battery and it came alive but after i put my stuff back together it was not working again :x so i am thinking is their another place to power my amp other than the battery....
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You could try the positive lead to the relay box under the hood. Not sure what the amp draw of your amplifier is, but that should work OK.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

is it your remote turn on wire?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Jay-Bird
Crew
Crew

Post by Jay-Bird »

yeah the fuse box under the hood... put the + on the fuse box from you amp and i put my ground to the bottom pass. seat bolt that holds it to the floor.. it worked for me...
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

thanks guys i will try the fuse box i am not sure if this will help but when i put the power cord into the amp it will spark and the amp will come alive then go off agene almost at the same time... :?:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Is there a fuse in the amp? Check that too. Also make sure your remote turn on lead is connected to a switched 12V source (like the radio fuse)and not a constant hot 12V source.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Use a voltmeter, and test the Main power cable at the am, and the remote turn on at the amp--both should read 12volts or so. If you have a volt meter with a continuance tester, test your ground at your amp as well.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

ok i don't get it.i went out to pick up a few things and just for the hell of it i looked behind my seat to see if the amp was still not working and it was on... :?: i have done nothing to it since i put everything back yesterday...
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Check and make sure your power wire isn't freyed and contacting the body. If the amp gets power through the ground it might react like you're saying.

Make sure that turn-on lead is on a switched 12V and not a constant hot too.
[size=75]Mark
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

Check the ground, too. It sounds like the power isn't constant. Make sure you have a good chassis contact. I'd find an existing ground to test. The battery is the best place to hook up high drawing accessories, well... it's the safest. The wire leading the fuse box is rather small, IMO.
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

ok a friend of mine told me that all it was is. that we have a 20 min delay when we turn of our truck you can still lisin to the radio until you open the door or the 20 mins is up.so if you take the + of the battery and putt it back on you will not get power to the amp rate off. that is y after i left it alone for a little bit it was now on...dose this make cents :?:
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I have my amp running off the + terminal on the battery. It then runs through a fuse, through the FM antenna grommet, and into the amp in the rear, which also has an internal fuse. My Kenwood deck also has a 12v remote turn on lead that tells the amp to come on when the deck does and to turn off accordingly. I would check that if you're still having problems.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

No, this does not make sense. The only wires that are 'disconnected' after 20 minutes are those within the accessory panel within the underhood and sidedash fuse box... which include the radio among other things. Nothing can turn off the battery. If your head unit is lit, your amps should be working if your tapped into the battery.

Check the amp + and the amp - wire. Check the deck's remote + wire (the ground is the amp's - wire). Since it comes on and off, it maybe the amp. What kind of amp is it? My Alpine V12 had a fuse AND a circuit breaker. The breaker would trip if the ground was not consistent, the fuse went if the positive over-amperaged. That's why I think that ground should be checked. I couldn't find a decent ground point under the seats, but I wear very thick glasses :lol: