switch and realy question?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

code3crew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

switch and realy question?

Post by code3crew »

hey I was on a 12 volt forum asking this question with no repsonse so I was sure I would get one here. I want a push button switch panel that would take up less room and be easier to push than my rocker switches. The problem is that I can only find 3 amp switches for push button and I am kinda bumed! I was thinking that instead of using fuses like I usually do to use realys instead. nd if I did than could I use a 3 amp switch powered through a 30 amp realy? i think it is ok? I mean if you switch the realy not the power to the object (light bar) than it should be ok? What does everyone think?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Exactly right, and the only way to provide a power source for high drain accessories, only don't eliminate the fusing.
Continue to use a fuse to protect the powered device.

Not only does this method provide a better source of power for the device, it is safer since you can activate it via the ground, which eliminates another "hot" wire through the firewall, under the dash, to the switch.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
code3crew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by code3crew »

I thought so. I just needed someone elses opinion on what I was doing. It all sounds good in your head till you absorb alota volts and you get that tingly feeling! :) I am gonna buy a cheap 3 amp switch and cheap 30 amp relay tonight and use my multimeter to see how much of a charge I am getting from that hot terminal? Now I should trace this thing from switch to relay to fuse to hot wire right? I mean I do not want the fuse between the relay and the switch right? Thanks for all your help alot better than the 12 volt forum I was on. Unless you word it I was installing my mobile navigation system and need a push button switch they will not respond to you!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Fuse between relay and load, yes.

You can also fuse, or add a fuseable link in the relay supply, but that would probably be overkill.

There should be no need for a fuse in the wire to the relay from the switch, especially if you use the ground for relay activation. Even using a "hot" to activate the relay I would not think fusing it would be needed.

Remember, most Hotrods burn up rather than get wrecked, watch that wiring job.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK