Bed Liner Power Outlet

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

mvannie

Bed Liner Power Outlet

Post by mvannie »

I have purchased an outlet to put in the bed, but being a little of a newb when it comes to trucks, and mods, I thought I had better get some advice before cutting anything, so here goes.

This is the unit I bought: Image

I want to put it in the bed liner of my 2003 ZR5, but I am not quite sure how to get the liner out to put a hole in it.

Second, it cone with 2 leads. The package says the the black lead (1 foot long) should go to ground, and the red lead (17 feet long) to the battery or the fuse box. I think that the lead may reach the frame of the truck, or my hitch wiring, and if not, I guess I will just extend it to reach one of those, but the other lead, should I take it to the battery, or is there somewhere else you can suggest at the back of the truck somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'd run it all the way to the battery or the positive terminal on the underhood fuse box...depending on which side you mount it on.

As for the bed liner, just pull it out...it's just slipped under the bed rails and not attached to anything.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

To remove the bed liner lift from the bottom center. This will draw the sides inward and out from under the bed sides.

As for a power source. I'd go to the under hood fuse box, add a maxi fuse for one of the un-used stud terminals.
Another option is to add a circuit breaker and attach it to a battery post much like how I mounted the power source for my winch-
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mvannie

Post by mvannie »

Thanks for the advice!
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

mvinnie,

I've been thinking of doing the same mod. where did you locate you outlet? The one I found requires quite a bit of room behind the face plate. Your experience will be helpful!

Craig
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

mvannie
welcome to the site
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
mvannie

Post by mvannie »

I found the outlet at Canadian Tire.

I am guessing you can't find one of those in the US.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
shift220

Post by shift220 »

Not sure if you did it yet but here are some more tips. You can run the ground to the frame and it'll be fine. Just take some sandpaper or steel wool and clear a spot on the frame, then put a bolt through it. As for the positive wire, you can do what the others said and run it to the fuse box. What I would do is buy one of the those fuse holders at Canadian tire and run that inline close to the battery.

Depending on where you install it, i'm thinking 17 feet won't be long enough to reach the battery if you run it underneath the truck along the frame. If not just get some wire thats the same gauge or larger.
S10CREW01
Crew
Crew

Post by S10CREW01 »

[size=75]<<~~o00o~~~~~~~~~~~~"°º©[b] S10CREW01 - Proud to serve US NAVY[/b]©º°"~~~~~~~~~~~~o00o~~>>
[b][u]MOD LIST:[/b][/u]
2001 S10 Crew Cab; 2" body lift; K&N drop in filter and the Airbox mod; Hot foot MOD; Autodim mirrior; Clear Bumper Lights; Westin Safari Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights; Westin Nerf Bars; Low Profile 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover; Quad Light MOD; Backup Lights * * *[/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

thanks for the input. my original question was regarding finding a void between the plastic bed liner and the steel truck bed large enough to accommodate the depth of the socket and wiring. i may just install the outlet on the right side of the license plate in the bumper, but it would be nice to have it located out of the public eye.

Craig
mvannie

Post by mvannie »

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

I placed the outlet in the bed liner near the tailgate close to the hole that is there for the tie down. I was able to find sufficient clearance back there for the outlet.

I will try to get a photo for you (if I can get the tailgate open cause it may be frozen shut right now)