installation of the reel hood light , and random adventures

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

installation of the reel hood light , and random adventures

Post by 2bunik »

ok I got the hood light with a reel and all off a new gmc pickup.. I however have consumed to many alcholic beverages to install at this point.. I will ensure I take pictures tomorrow so we can have a nice write up if it even works... just thought I'd drop a line tell every one I got off the couch and scooped one up.. it costs 5 bucks at the local salvage yard.. (dillions in boise) I also ran into a few s-10 trucks with hooks.. I am thinking of getting some for the raer of my crew . I don't know if they are a hard to find item .. but I ran into like five sets... no skid plates though.. ( i think brule took them all) I found one blazer with leather seats and all the dash goodies still in it... I'll be back up there friday so drop a line if you want something..also how much you expect to pay to include shipping and Ill try to barder a deal with them guys... I sleepy now.
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I need a set of tow hooks, my truck came with an ugly brush guard and they had been removed by the dealer.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: installation of the reel hood light , and random advent

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:... ran into a few s-10 trucks with hooks.. I am thinking of getting some for the raer of my crew . ...
I've been paying $5 a pair for the stock hooks.
You might consider using the fullsize 3/4 ton hooks ( pre-98 ). They are substantially stronger and of the same design as our stock hooks.

Also remember that if you have a body lift the first gen S-10 hooks that hook downward work really well. That is what I'm using.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

sorry no update but I will get it done tomorrow.. I really have to stop drinking.. the wife is getting upset.. I have a feeling it will get done tomorrow.. I'll run out to the crew an snap a pic right quick.. for now..
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I can't beleive the amount of cord it has in this thing.. it has ten feet if not 11 feet of cord that comes out..
I found two down sides to it .. it has to be manually turned on.. no mercury switch here.. I could hook it up to a switch though.. another is that there isn't much room in the crew for such a large item. and a third which is for pansies.. it dowsnt wind back up on its own.. . However on another note.. this thing lights up with wicked candle power ( no contest to a mag light. this thing has it beat buy 1000 candles..) .. its like a flood light under the hood... crazyness.. I think I'll enjoy this nifty feature.. lets see how the install goes...

you probably wondering where it will fit.. well for now it will have to be bolted to the hood.. hopefully I don't drill throught the darn thing.. :shock: it will be going on the litle spot just behind the radiator on the hood.. so it don't catch heat from the engine.. too much

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

first step is to remove the rubber seal on the front end of the hood ( it pulls right odd.. no clips or nothing.. just give it a smooth tug)
ok then remove all the little round disks that hold the hood liner on..

after the disks are removed the liner should fall right out.. if it doesn't it has to be pulled towards the rear of the hood then off. the reason for this is cause the front of the liner ( near the the rubber strip you removed earlier) is slotted onto the hood.. it should now lok like the bottom pic

ok now I fed the wires through the fram of the hood with the female connecter dangling out where I wanted the light to be mounted.. I then drilled two holes for the light ON THE FRAME NOT THE ACTUAL HOOD. at this time I test fitted the light an ensured it would not hit anything when I closed the hood. I removed the light assembly and installed the screws in the holes. I put the liner up to the hood and found where the screws would come out throught the liner and punched holes on the liner by pressing the liner against te screws.. I also slit a hole for the connector to come out through on the line.. it should now look like the below

ENSURE A THE FOLLOWING BEFORE THE NEXT STEP.
1 YOU HAVE CHECKED TO ENSURE THE LIGHT ASSEMBLY DOES NOT HIT ANYTHING WHEN THE HOOD IS CLOSED.
2 TEMP CONNECT THE ASSEMBLY AND ENSURE IT WORKS PROPERLY.
3 ENSURE YOU HAVE THE POS AND NEG WIRES COMING OUT THE BACK SIDE OF THE HOOD .. (unless you already connected the pos and neg permantly)
Leaving the screws in place I put the liner on and fed the connector through.. THEN i put the little disks in place. like it used to be.. then finally installed the rubber seal back in place.. now you can remove the screws and install the light in place and tighten her down.. It should now look like the below..

this picture is a close up of how clean it looks... ( looks stock)
finally make all your pos and neg connections permanent unless you have done so already.. PLEASE INSTALL A FUSE great cheap insurance..

I recomend it already but ill test it for the long run...

BRULE HERE IS ANOTHER WRITE UP ....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:...HERE IS ANOTHER WRITE UP ....
Thanks- Underhood mounted reel light

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

thanx :thumb: hopefully someone else chooses to go this route... I am very happy with it..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I added one of these in my cargo box. I have only used it once. It does work really well. They are readily available at the salvage yard that I frequent.
I have noticed that many had really scratched lenses, the retention stud was broken on a couple of them and the rubber hasp that holds the light in place on the reel unit was broken or gone from a couple of them.
Finding a good one may take a little searching, or at least combining the good parts to one unit.
They are a nice package and I could see plenty of applications. I might install one in the bed for a bed light too.

If any of you are out scrounging parts at a salvage yard , add one or two of these to your list. They are a good thing to have on the shelf for many applications.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

HJ,

Where did you mount the light in the cargo box?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I opted for a side mount.
When loading cargo I can see it and avoid conflicts. Mounted to the top would be nice for lighting, but could run into interference when closing. Not to mention all the exposed screws for mounting. Not a good thing. I wanted to limit the exposures for the mounting screws.

This way two of the screws are concealed under the sealing lip and only one is visible, or exposed.

The light has a long cord and can be reeled out for lighting. I assemble my privacy enclosure on this side of the truck and it will come in handy to light the shower/potty, as well as other camp lighting.

- ThunderII KE7CSK