Did the quad beam mod, now i don't want any DRL's..

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

04revx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did the quad beam mod, now i don't want any DRL's..

Post by 04revx »

I have a 2000 Blazer and I did the quad beam headlight mod according to the diagram on the Modifications page. Prior to doing that I had disabled the DRL's and AHL's. I folded over one of the pins on the DRL relay in the fuse box, and to disable the AHL's I put in a resistor in the sensor (in the right front speaker).

Now I have DRL's again after I did this mod??? :?: I like the look of the parking lights prior to dark, thats why I disabled the DRL's in the first place. Is there any way to disable the DRL's when you do the quad beam mod?
2000 4-Door Blazer 4X4-Stock for now, but have plans.
2004 Ski-Doo MXZX 600 H.O.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do you have low beam DRL?

There is a thread going on ZR2.com- Update on DRL mod combined with Quadbeam Mod

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Did the quad beam mod, now i don't want any DRL's..

Post by barch97 »

04revx wrote:I like the look of the parking lights prior to dark
You realize that it's illegal in most states to "drive" with your "parking" lights on? I wonder why they call 'em "parking" lights.
04revx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by 04revx »

Are you kidding me? I have never heard of this before. Why would they be illegal and who are your sources?
04revx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by 04revx »

HenryJ wrote:Do you have low beam DRL?

There is a thread going on ZR2.com- Update on DRL mod combined with Quadbeam Mod
Before I did the quad-beam mod I had high beam DRL's, but after I did that I had low beam DRL's. Just for haha's I straightened the pin back out and now my DRL's are back at the high beams. I'll check out that link to see if it helps, thanks.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

04revx wrote:Are you kidding me? I have never heard of this before. Why would they be illegal and who are your sources?
I'm assuming by your reaction of astonishment, that you're not completely understanding my previous statement and maybe I can clarify by saying parking lights "alone". In every vehicle I have ever driven, when the driving lights are on the parking lights are on also. The law in NJ (and most other states) forbids driving a vehicle with parking lights "only" displayed.

Most states require that vehicles "parked" within the limits of the roadway display "parking lights" to ensure the visibility/safety of these "parked" vehicles. Parking lights imply that the vehicle is "parked" and not moving. So, in the event that you are "driving" with only your "parking lights" on, other drivers may perceive your vehicle as parked.

I don't know anyone that has ever been ticketed or fined or prosecuted in any way for such a violation. I have however been warned by law enforcement officials in New Jersey, Maryland, and Georgia that these laws do in fact exist. As I am unable to find online documentation of every state's entire motor vehicle code, you might check with your state's motor vehicle agency for the existence of such laws.
04revx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I now have disabled the DRL's and have Quad Beam Headlights!

Post by 04revx »

OK, I have now successfully disabled the DRL's and have Quad Beam Headlights. The only thing I had to do different was what Jacob from ZR2.com did:

"The quadbeam mod calls for grounding the low beam yellow wire either directly or via a relay.

I used the relay approach, where the relay (85)is triggered by the high beam positive (green/white wire). The relay supply (87) goes to ground. The relay load (30) goes to the low beam yellow wire. The other relay trigger contact (86) must go to the high beam negative (purple wire) and NOT to ground.

On a 2003 ZR2, the high beam positive wire is hot even when the high beams are off. This causes the quadbeam relay, if wired as described in the above link, to supply ground to the low beam at all times, defeating the DRL mod. The high beam switch passes ground to the high beam negative wire. For this reason, you want your quadbeam relay switched the same way i.e. both highbeam wires are used to trigger the relay.

Now both the DRL mod and Quadbeam mod work correctly."

Here is a link on How to Disable DRL's and AHL's if you guys don't know already.