Red lamps for map lights?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Red lamps for map lights?

Post by kf6kmx »

Ok.. seen the posts about changing the dash light colors.. BUT, does anyone know the lamp number for the bulbs in our overhead map lights?

I'm thinking about changing one of my overheads to be red to preserver night vision..
It would be perfect for the fire patrol I do for the CDF.. we run in teams, usually until after 1am.. and it would be nicer since the person riding 'shotgun' could leave the light on to make notes/whatever without affecting the night vision or lighting up the whole cab..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

I'm not sure what number the bulb is. However, if you can't find one you can always use some a sheat of theatrical gel. It's the stuff that is used on stages to change the color of lights.

-Eric H
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Along Eric H's line of thought we used red evidence tape to line the plastic cover with until police suppliers came out with auxiliary dome lights that produced red or white light. They're reasonable and a very simple install
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

f9k9 wrote:Along Eric H's line of thought we used red evidence tape to line the plastic cover with until police suppliers came out with auxiliary dome lights that produced red or white light. They're reasonable and a very simple install
might try that.. I did concert sound systems back in the early 90's.. wonder if I have any light gels left around here... hmm..

I havent looked, how do you get the lens off the swivel maplightsin the '03? Or does the whole swivel part pop out??

What I'd like is LED replacements for the bulbs, in red.. I've seen a few different interior lamp changeovers to LED, but not sure if they make one for that lamp.. Anyone know the number off hand? If not I may pull one out this weekend and get the lamp number off it.
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:... how do you get the lens off the swivel maplights in the '03?
Gently pry the lens from the bulb housing. Release the locking tabs in order to remove the bulb and socket from the lens. Pull the bulb straight out of the socket.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I think the bulb is a #168 (check that out first). www.cardomain.com has a red LED bulb (along with every other color) listed there: http://www.cardomain.com/item/VARALWPRE

I just happen to be looking for LED third brake light bulbs since I am running my satellite radio antenna wire through the lens to the interior. I was a little concerned that the heat from the std bulbs could cause problems with the wire.
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

Autozone used to have colored bulbs in all the popular sizes. Red blue grean etc.. The small ones lasted fine, the bigger ones had the red burn off on the middle part of the bulb, but that was my fault leaving the door open for hours on end with NO dome override (it was a buick regal, not a s10)
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

twodoorblazer wrote:Autozone used to have colored bulbs in all the popular sizes. Red blue grean etc.. The small ones lasted fine, the bigger ones had the red burn off on the middle part of the bulb, but that was my fault leaving the door open for hours on end with NO dome override (it was a buick regal, not a s10)
thanks.. i'll check them out later this weekend (dont even want to get near town with the shopping traffic today!
although its awfully quiet out here at the air base, most people are gone today, only one squadron (and only part of that squadron) is doing training today.