Pioneer Shallow Subwoofer

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

browe

Pioneer Shallow Subwoofer

Post by browe »

Has anyone tried the new 12" shallow sub from pioneer. It says the mounting depth is only 4" and the box they make for it looks like it would fit behind our rear seat. I am considering ordering but would like to know if anyone has heard anything about them.
browe 2003 Crew Cab Black, ARE Hard Cover and Spoiler, AEM Intake, Hypertech PPIII, SS Grill Inserts, Dual Exhaust
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Welcome! :D

It's easy to guestimate on space and dimensions, but if you do some real measuring, you'll probably find that it won't fit. There's not much room at all behind the rear seat of a crew. My two 8"s fit behind the seat, but I had to put kicker grills over the subs to keep the woofer suspensions from hitting the back of the seat. Also, unless something has changed in the last year or so, Pioneer has yet to make any decent subs in my opinion. They used to be top dog in car audio, but in recent years they seem to have fizzled out a bit. You'd be better off getting a single 10" or a pair of 8"s. I prefer Kicker subs for lack of mounting depth. To be specific I mean the CompVR series.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
browe

Post by browe »

Thanks for the response. I'm hesitant about ordering anything I can't hear first. I've found the sub and box online pretty cheap but I may explore some other options.
browe 2003 Crew Cab Black, ARE Hard Cover and Spoiler, AEM Intake, Hypertech PPIII, SS Grill Inserts, Dual Exhaust
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Another tip on car audio shopping, find someone who has the sub/amp/head unit installed in their vehicle. Listen to it in the vehicle, instead of going into a showroom at a Car Audio Shop. There is a big difference in the sound :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...