Audio Systems

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

SlverBulet08

Audio Systems

Post by SlverBulet08 »

I have had my Crew Cab for about a year and a half and haven't really done much to it except for the ever popular VentVisors, Westin Safari Bar, and some lights to go on it. My dad is ridiculous when it comes to changing a truck from stock but since he does pay half I guess I can't say too much. Anyways, I wanna do something for the stereo, add a new head unit, new speakers, possible subs, or maybe even a fold out DVD player head unit. Anybody got any suggestions for the Audio system or any other mods that aren't too drastic??
[size=75]2003 S-10 Crew Cab[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

When you go to buy door speakers the only thing I can say is you get what you pay for. Go ahead and save up and spend the extra buck for a product that gets a lot of good user reviews. And dont neglect to replace the tweeters on your dash, I put memphis 1" dome tweeters in it and it made a HUGE difference.

Cardomain typically has user reviews with the speakers they sell, http://www.cardomain.com/shop

This site doesn't have user reviews but usually offers really cheap prices, http://www.ikesound.com/

Ok, I don't want to start a brand war but the speaker brands that I personally would buy is:
rockford fosgate
memphis (which I have all around in my car besides subs and they ROCK)
kicker
clarion
infinity
mb quart if you want sound quality

And thats all I can think of right now.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

crutchfield man you gotta check out crutchfield you can compare specs prices are great and they throw in all the goodies for head units and i just highly recomend them
SlverBulet08

Post by SlverBulet08 »

OK I have looked at Crutchfield before cause there is a retail store about an hour and a half from where I live so I have checked that out. Now the questions is, is it just better to replace the head unit and get different speakers for the doors and dash, or what about a component system?
[size=75]2003 S-10 Crew Cab[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

If you had the money and didnt mind spending it. I woud invest in a good head unit. Good componet speakers for the front and a sub and amps. Ive always liked oz speakers but there are so many out there now its hard to choose.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OK, time to ask all you audio fanatics a question. :)

I have an '02 ZR5 with what I guess was top of the line "stock" AM/FM, 6 CD changer for GM. I keep running across references to "AUX" functions in my owner's manual.
Is there an additional input jack on my unit (somewhere) for stuff like a DVD player's sound or something else?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

im guessin the aux feature that your seeing has something to do with the trucks power saving mode that you still have power for 20 minutes once the trucks off and you dont open the doors.i didnt look at my manual but i will when i find it :D
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The aux function is for an external cd or cassette player. The 2001's had a cassette player in the center console.

There is not an "input" perse, but the cable/interface does exist and can be connected to an adapter that will give you inputs.

Check out this thread: Radio Mod

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

someday i will know my CC upside down and inside out as does HJ and hes always quick to reply ...........what a great site
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

Polk Audio, top of the line as far as door speakers go,
Kicker, MTX, Fostgate, Orion, all top of the line subs
Pioneer, top of the line head units
Autotek, Orion, top of the line amps

if you are looking to save money where possible then I would personally stick to pioneer across the board with a AutoTek amp pushing all, and little do many people know that our stock AC Delco speakers when hooked to an Amp and crossover to cut out any bass, really kick ass in highs and mids, just don't crank that amp up too high, I speak from expeirance on this subject, my 97 4dr blazer had two 12in Orion Cobalts being pushed by a 600wx4 amp and stock door speakers being pushed by a 400wx4 (both AutoTek) and a Pioneer head unit, that set up sounded beautiful, it actually stretched my front windshield when the bass hit a hard note, nothing big but sounded excellant, so my two cents, and what I will be doing when i get the time and money is putting two 10in's behind the rear seat, and hooking a small amp w/biult in crossover to my stock speakers, I am actually thinking of keeping the factory head unit, no real reason to get rid of it, i am only looking for improved sound not show sounds, the thing i will stress the most to you guys that know nothing or little about car stereos but want to do it your self, go ahead, its not hard to do, but its not hard to ruin either, get a crossover, get rid of distortion, and spend the extra money to get a breaker instead of a fuse to go under youe hood, it will save you alot of money if you ever develop a problem in your lines, i have seen someone go through $35 dollars in gold fuses in about an hour because they couldnt find the problem in there lines, at $5 dollars a pop, it is alot better to just get the breaker that you can just flip back over

Car Stereo is like many things dealing with cars, there are a million ways to do something, but no right ways to do anything, this is my opinoin and what has worked for me

Thank You
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:The aux function is for an external cd or cassette player. The 2001's had a cassette player in the center console.

There is not an "input" perse, but the cable/interface does exist and can be connected to an adapter that will give you inputs.

Check out this thread: Radio Mod
Sigh :lol:

You came through once again, HJ :thumb:

Thank you :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]