Auto fade/dim dome lights: HOW TO ADD

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Auto fade/dim dome lights: HOW TO ADD

Post by twodoorblazer »

ever notice how all the newer gm vehicles have the dome light slowly fade out to off when you close the door? Anybody every want to add this to there S10? Anybody know how?

I found a website that sells a add on for all cars, any thoughts thoughts how to made the dome lights fade out rather than just go off?

What is behind that little black cover?
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

My dad's new ram does that.

I never use mine, I have the dome light turned off from the dashboard.

Sounds like too much work for a worthless moment of dimmage :D I have stuff to fix before I start on stuff like that (ya I usually spend the following week after an offroad trip with nothing but nights of cleaning out mud and fixing what I broke from using the loud pedal too much :roll: )
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I think if we get our brains together we might be able to figure it out.. and it would be a great addition to this WEBSITE .. since we already cater to all differant types of folks
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Auto fade/dim dome lights: HOW TO ADD

Post by kf6kmx »

twodoorblazer wrote:
What is behind that little black cover?
Could be a simple capacitor.. as it discharges, the lights get dimmer and go off (cap = short life battery :) )

Actually looking at the diagram, you could probably get away using a cap and a couple transisters..
use the trans. to sense/switch when the igntn is cycled and then the door closed to put the cap in line and drain out through the dome light.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

Ok, well we know that s10's have negative door triggers, so we can't just resist a ground as that would not work

I think the diagram I posted above probably is a type of timed relay with a resisitor or something. Just going by the fact is has 4 wires.

Anybody have any other ideas? HenryJ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It does appear to be a capacitor.
I would think that it could be installed inside the upper console easy enough.

I don't fully understand how it works right now. I do think you guys have the idea of how though. When the light comes on it charges the cap, then when you disconnect the light it discharges giving a dimming effect.

I'm sure one of the electronics "gurus" can explain more clearly how it works and where to get the parts for cheap :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

But wouldn't you need a cap for each light then? Plus caps are big, the thing in the photo is small... It just seams like a relay or something because it uses two grounds, ignition 12v, and constant 12v and you only need one of them...... Any guru out there who can shed some light?
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

I found a couple schematics that do what your asking for... The first doesn't look fun at all and is much bigger than the picture you posted:

Automatic Dome Light Dimmer

Also, on the website I found that link on there is a guy who explains why a capacitor will not work: More dimmer info

Then I found another schematic that uses a relay, resistor, and capacitor. I think the relay could be removed and the circuit would still work as intended.

So in my conclusion... there's one site that says a capacitor won't work and another that says it will. I hope this helps some, and good luck!! :)

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

Eric, wow, thanks for the extended searching... Those are things I could not find (besides the 12 volt).

Anyway, the site where I got the photo and digram were from
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

click on dome light dimmer on left hand side and then I think outs since negative switched is the DLD 1 I originally posted.

There also are install instructions for it ton on the main menu, check it out to see if it brings any other ideas.
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

I wish I could add this somehow....... anybody else like the auto fade dome ligt dimmers when the doors close?
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

I would buy the add on that you found in your first post. It seems like the easiest way to get the effect you are looking for. Yes....you could probably build your own homegrown version, but $40 for an off the shelf version is the way to go in my book.

As far as hooking it up, I would bet that someone on here has a wiring diagram for the S-10 laying around somewhere.
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

yeah, buying the unit would be easy, but it's a small device with 4 wires coming out of it, it's a relay and some sort of cap or resistor I imagine. I just wonder if any of the electronic gurus might know??