Power Tailgate Lock

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Eric H
Crew
Crew

Power Tailgate Lock

Post by Eric H »

Has anyone here installed a power tailgate lock? I bought this one and plan on installing it sometime soon. I'm wondering if any one has any experience with them and could give any tips/advice?

Thanks!
-Eric H
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I have seen them advertized before and was interested. After the install can you post the results?
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

It looks like I'm going to be on my own for this one. I hope it installs with out too much hassle. :)

I will post the results after I get it installed. It will be nice to have since I have a cover over the bed too. Then I'll have an extra large secure truck.

-Eric H
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

After four months of having the lock sit on my tool box, I finally installed it. In case anyone is wondering, the install was pretty straight forward. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. It was midnight when I started working on it and I ran out of propane for my heater. I was trying to get back into the warm house as quickly as possible!!

Now for the problems/annoyances:
  • The top bolt that holds on the factory tail gate latch is not long enough to reach the latch once the lock is installed. I decided the other two bolts were enough support for the handle and decided to leave it off.
  • The driver's side bolt that holds on the factory tail gate latch is too long. If it is tightened all the way it interferes with the operation of the lock. I plan to space it out a bit with a couple hidden washers between my bed-liner and the tailgate. Until then the latch handle is a bit crooked.
  • The directions state that you should find a tan and a grey wire under the driver's side kick-panel that leads into the rubber boot into the door. I was unable to find these wires under the kick-panel. Instead I spliced into them inside the boot and ran the new wires into the cab, through the firewall, and then to the tailgate. Be aware that there are two grey wires in the boot. One is for the speaker in the door and the other is for the lock (I found this out the hard way!)
  • The directions state that you MUST lower the tailgate and leave it down while installing the lock. I found it much easier to remove the tailgate and lay it upright on a couple sawhorses than try to work upside down laying on the ground!

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Does your tailgate lock & unlock with the doors now?

Steve
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

Yes, it is opererated with the factory power locks. So whenever I unlock/lock the cab the tailgate does the same.

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

sounds like a sweet little hook-up can you get us some pics good bad or ugly?
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

I could get pictures, but all your going to see is the stock tailgate and driver's side kick panel. :) The only evidence of the lock being installed is the wire loom that runs on top of the frame rails and through the firewall on the driver's side.

-Eric H