Rock Lights

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rock Lights

Post by coffeedrnkr »

So one night as we were blazing a trail through the forest to go rescue one of my friends, I told myself I was going to get some rock lights so the next time I have to go rescue somebody at night or just feel like wheeling, I can see the rocks and stuff before I hear them thud against my new skidplates that I should be getting here in a couple days.

There are 3 sets of cheapo fog lights that I got for 10 bucks a pair at harbor freight. 2 in the back on the places where the spare tire used to fit, 2 up above the sliders mounted on the underside of the floorboard, and 2 in the front behind my valance on the bumper brace.

Here are the pics: (dont yell at me for trying to be a ricer either b/c these lights have a purpose)

And here is a small quicktime movie of the lights being turned on and off
http://www.crazyblaze.com/rock%20lights/100_2721.mov

I will get some better pics when it isn't 5:00 in the morning and 20 degrees outside.

Nooooooo dont link my pictures henryj I tried to keep them small, only about 1.5mb total :lol: :roll:
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Why would anyone yell at you for being a ricer? Seems like a darned good idea to me. I think about the few times I've gone 4wheeling at night and wonder why I didn't think about this. Sure would have made seeing around things easier. What I would use though are small 12v flood lights like what my tractor uses for headlights. I don't have a picture of them handy but they are small enough that mounting them should be fairly easy and I don't think they would cost much more then the $10 a pair you paid. They put out a lot of light too.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:...What I would use though are small 12v flood lights like what my tractor uses for headlights....
Something like this-

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:x ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! I should have reviewed that pic of HJ's light yesterday! I pre drilled my trailer hitch brackets in preparation of the BL this spring (kit arrived yesterday) but, I didn't drill the extra hole for the hooks. I just put them on yesterday :(

The rock/stump lights are a good idea :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty wrote:...What I would use though are small 12v flood lights like what my tractor uses for headlights....
Something like this-
Perfect. Those look even smaller than my Cub's lights which makes them even better. Where did you get them?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Image :lol:

Trust me... no one in their right mind could ever mistake your blazer for a ricer.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I want a light like HJ's. It would be cool for hooking up to the trailer when it's dark out. I just have to figure out where to put the switch. I've already used the rear wiper blank in the dash for my cheapo driving lights. I wonder if I can use the small rear defroster button on the hvac controls.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:... Those look even smaller than my Cub's lights which makes them even better. Where did you get them?
'70's John Deere 300 series? garden tractor rear light. I had to rotate the lense 90 degrees.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Pauleo wrote:I want a light like HJ's. It would be cool for hooking up to the trailer when it's dark out. I just have to figure out where to put the switch. I've already used the rear wiper blank in the dash for my cheapo driving lights. I wonder if I can use the small rear defroster button on the hvac controls.
Good option for heavy duty weatherproof lights, with a flood pattern.. Look in the phone book under 'truck parts' (not pickup, but BIG truck parts , semi's etc.)
I have a good one about 15 miles from me.. They have several sizes and styles.. I havent gotten around to even getting close to mounting anything (no time recently) but I opted for one that was designed for a flatbed 'low boy'.. it has a lens designed to give a flood about 12 to 15ft wide, and about 30ft out from the top of a trucks 'headache bar'.. So I figure under the rear bumper it'll get about 6 to 8 ft wide and maybe 10 to 15ft back.. And its definetly heavy duty housing, designed to be hit by overhead branches and such on a truck. Depending on teh shop, they can be a lot cheaper than an off-road light, and same or cheaper than a forklift light (and seem heavier duty than the forklift light).
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rock Lights

Post by HenryJ »

After seeing Reed's Jeep , I was inspired to add some rock lights to my truck.

I used the same LED lights that I added to my tent for lighting. I bought them on ebay from RRS Enterprises - 96 LED Flex Light 12 Volt White $27 shipped.
They have a very bright white light. Water proof, and very flexible.

I used the included clips and some 3M foam trim adhesive tape to mount them under the truck near the rocker panel. One hole drilled underneath brings the wire up under the doors sill plate. A small grommet and silicone seal that hole.
I ran the wires up to the light in the knee bolster and soldered them in. The whole process probably took about 30 minutes.

Now when I hit my remote to unlock they light up. Open the door and they light the way for access and egress. I can roll the dome light on and they will light up when the door is closed. My overhead console has a three setting switch so I can cancel the upper dome lamps. That way I can run with the rock lights on if I need to.
The delay after the door closes will be nice.

This should be a great way to have them wired in. The load is micro minimal, so no worries about over loading the circuit. I have my KITT "Scanner light" wired in this way and it has worked really well.

You can read a newspaper under this truck now!

I mounted only one to the drivers side. I guess the same thing could be done for the passenger side too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Rock Lights

Post by F9K9 »

Looks great, Brule! Need to get some in front of the front wheels to help a spotter out. My LEDs total to 8 which I purchased from Josh at Skinny Pedal! He included his cell ph number and was able to help me on a Saturday afternoon with several issues on the LED and "in cab" winch control install. Totally awesome vendor!

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]