Tracking radio and HAM radio install in my '03

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Tracking radio and HAM radio install in my '03

Post by kf6kmx »

Ok. Heres a little rundown on the install of the radio gear and GPS system in my truck.

I'll start at the business end of the radios. The green wire is the ignition-on signal wire coming from the front. It will be routed into the wire loom with the other wires when the time-delay box is mounted in a permanant box. The Data radio is powered up, but the camera flash washed the display completely out. It runs on 144.390mhz (national APRS frequency).

The voice radio feeds both bands (2m and 440) to one antenna. I use the radio as a 'remote extender' when in remote areas (I talk into the truck on my handheld at one frequency, the truck then repeats the signal out stronger on a second frequency) so I wanted the antennas split. That is done with the small square antenna splitter. It cuts 300mhz and below to one antenna, 400mhz and up to the other antenna.

The radio control head is mounted to the dash below the Pioneer XM radio. I custom made a bracket that is 3m taped inside the little open tray in the radio adapter, and mounted the head unit to that.

On top of the dash is the Garmin StreetPilot III Deluxe. It handles normal mapping, and if needed has voice navigation.

The laptop is on a JottoDesk mount. The mount comes off the front passenger seat bolts, no holes to drill. I leave the upright pole in all the time, and pull off the tray and swing arm to carry passengers. The pole is over against the center console and not noticeable to the passenger when they are sitting in the truck.

The Jottodesk

The speakers for the voice radio and the Streetpilot's voice navigation are in the center console.

The antenna farm on the roof

The data GPS and gps antenna

The XM radio antenna

I think that covers it, any questions , please ask :)
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok I am primarily interested in the Ham and APRS, what kind of costs are we talking about?

I assume this requires a license? What does that involve?

What would I need for the basics?

I do frequent areas without any cell coverage and it is also unlikely to have communication to a CB. We frequently use the FRS for vehicle to vehicle and hiking.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:Ok I am primarily interested in the Ham and APRS, what kind of costs are we talking about?

I assume this requires a license? What does that involve?

What would I need for the basics?

I do frequent areas without any cell coverage and it is also unlikely to have communication to a CB. We frequently use the FRS for vehicle to vehicle and hiking.
The APRS is using the HAM frequency of 144.39, so it is covered by the same ham license as the voice radio. (So, yeah, theres a license, but it isnt hard to get). You dont have to do any morse code for the Technician level license which gives you access to everything like I have running in my truck (and more).

A good basic setup for going out in fringe areas would be a radio (handheld or mobile mounted), and an good antenna (Mag mount works fine).
Ham radio goes much farther than a cell phone (without even taking into account the frequency which travels farther, a cell has what, 500mw (I dont remember) and a typical handheld ham radio is doing 5watts. Mobile mounted units average about 35 to 50 watts.
I can hit repeaters on 2m (144 to 148mhz) easily that are 50 miles away using my truck, without going to high power.
You can expand that range with high gain antennas, etc, also.
The setup I have (Yaesu FT8800 truck radio, and Yaesu VX-7R handheld)
ImageImage
can setup to do the extending.. I can park the truck somewhere, set the radio up and the truck will repeat anything it heards from my handheld.. I have used it up in the hills [park the truck near the top and hike down into a ravine and get the signal out just fine] and have done it at Cayucus, CA [parked the truck in the parking lot, walk out to the end of the pier, and talk through the truck to one repeater and reach all the way back home, about 180miles].

You can pick up good used 2m gear for $100 or less a lot of times.. I would usually suggest starting with 2m, or a dual band radio, since in most places there are more 2m repeaters and users. Although you might check out your area, 440mhz (70cm) is becoming more and more popular.

There is a relatively new setup going now called IRLP (Internet Radio Linking Project).. The repeaters are connected to the internet through a broadband connection, an you can 'dial up' a repeater from another.. For instance I can go outside, punch in "8838" and talk to Palmer Station, Antartica.. Or punch in "4267" to talk to Dayton, OH stations. There are about 1,529 nodes connected to the IRLP system now. Its been going about 2 years I think.

Its pretty easy to get the license, you just study the qwuestions and take a test :)
I think the license is around $10 or so, and it good for 10 years at a time (only have to take the test the first time, not when you renew).

Check out http://www.remote.arrl.org/hamradio.html it has a lot of good links for test info, how to find a local test site, study materials, etc.

I'd be happy to answer questions and help out.. One of the best things offroad in my opinion is the ham radio.. I havent had to use it stuck yet, but I have been on the recieving end of a distress call..
A friend was in the mountains behind Springville, CA (still on the highway, but back where there is little traffic and no cell phone, and their company radio didnt work either) driving for Home Depot.. (he had a 2m radio mounted in the truck also).. On a climb out of a little valley the truck blew the fan clutch and stuffed the gan THROUGH the radiator (there was a blade sticking out the grill! :shock: ) He was able to reach me on the radio and I called in to his store and got a tow heading that way.. To give you an idea, he was about 95 miles from me, in the hills.. The repeater was on a higher hill between us.. That repeater reaches from beyond Los Banos, all the way to the Grapevine, well over a 100+ miles. Otherwise he said it would have been about a 7 or 8 miles hike out to get a cell signal.
I already had my license, but after that I decided not to go anyplace way out of the beaten path without the radio in my truck! (I dont like forced hikes :wink: )
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Heres another good site.. You can take free sample tests and see the actual questions

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:Heres another good site.. You can take free sample tests and see the actual questions

Guess I'd better do some studying :D 60% with no prior knowlege :(

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:
kf6kmx wrote:Heres another good site.. You can take free sample tests and see the actual questions

Guess I'd better do some studying :D 60% with no prior knowlege :(
For no prior knowdge thats pretty good! :thumb:
I'm trying to remember is its 70% to pass.. its been a while since I took mine (97/98 time frame).
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...You can pick up good used 2m gear for $100 or less a lot of times.. I would usually suggest starting with 2m, or a dual band radio, since in most places there are more 2m repeaters and users. Although you might check out your area, 440mhz (70cm) is becoming more and more popular...
It is very likely that I could be up to 80 miles from the nearest civilization in a couple of my favorite spots.
I do like the idea of the handheld for it's portability, but 90% of the time we take my truck, and usually don't get more than half a days hike from it.

What would you suggest? Handheld? Mobile?

This can be something to build upon, so maybe one first and then the other?

Which would be the cheapest way to get started? I assume all the accessories start adding to the costs too. What would be needed? Antenna, charger, power converter, etc.?

Is one brand preferable to another , or are they just components and all do the same job?

I see quite a few on ebay, but really don't have a clue as to what I am seeing right now.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:lol: Me thinks HJ, is getting a "bug" :lol:

Not that I am immune but, I have my hands full with the laptop GPS and geocaching (SP) bug. My BL kit is in and was double checking the parts today. Plan on a spring install but, I am very intriqued with this technology.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:It is very likely that I could be up to 80 miles from the nearest civilization in a couple of my favorite spots.
I do like the idea of the handheld for it's portability, but 90% of the time we take my truck, and usually don't get more than half a days hike from it.

What would you suggest? Handheld? Mobile?

This can be something to build upon, so maybe one first and then the other?

Which would be the cheapest way to get started? I assume all the accessories start adding to the costs too. What would be needed? Antenna, charger, power converter, etc.?

Is one brand preferable to another , or are they just components and all do the same job?

I see quite a few on ebay, but really don't have a clue as to what I am seeing right now.
You could start out either way and build up from there.. Best thing would be to check to see if there are good repeaters that cover where you go, if so, go handheld.
There is something called 'wilderness protocol' where people that have radios is outlying areas monitor the 'call' freq (146.520) on the hour every hour for 15 minutes where the arent any repeaters, to help be sure someone in trouble can always reach help.
What area are you in and I can see what i can locate in repeater listings for the area, and maybe locate a local club and I can find out how the coverage is where you go.
Here is this part of Calif, there is almost no where you can go that you are more than 1/2 mile from coverage (like in a canyon or something that you have to hike out of).

If you start out with a handheld, you can always connect it to an antenna on the truck and make it a stronger mobile (I picked up a mag-mount at Radio Shack a while back that covers both 2m and 440, and is a scanner antenna, with the BNC connector for a handheld already on the coax for about $30.
Most handhelds also wire directly to 12v power from the truck (a few run through a transformer is they run on lower than 12v, but most are direct 12v powered) and at least 95% of the handhelds have a connection for an external microphone. You could go handheld, then upgrade to a mobile later. Where if you start with a mobile, you are tied to the truck all the time :)

As far as brands, most are comparable any more.. Myself I have Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Cherokee, and Alinco brand radios. I tend to like the Yaesu mobiles the best (have 2 Yaesu mobiles, and one Kenwood mobile).. The Kenwood has some advanced features for use as a remote extender (Kenwood TM-V7A model) and a nice blue screen.. Also remote head mountable just like the Yaesu in my truck. (I used to have it mounted in my 1-ton, its mounted in my dad's ex-cab '03 S-10 for him, he's also a ham operator).

Tell you what, if you get a license I might even have a handheld (maybe even a mobile if I can locate it) that I can help you get started with the radio gear :idea: They are both 2m (144mhz) radios.. I am 99% sure where the handheld is, and I think I know where the mobile is (I used to have it mounted to the bottom on my SSB-CB radio when I pulled the RV with my 1-ton.. its probably still mounted to the radio stored in the box).

Basic to get started witha good setup, would be:
Hand held
mag mount antenna (figure $35 at radio shack?)
power cord (if radio runs 12v, you just need a lighter-to-radio cord, cheap at radio shack)
maybe an antenna adapter for the radio (depends on the radio and the antenna.. some radios use an 'SMA' plug, some use 'BNC'.. Some of the antennas will come with 'BNC', or 'PL259'. The adapter is between $3 and $9 and can be at Radio shack, or in some cases you may have to get it from a ham or actual electronic supply (rare.. in all my handhelds, I have ONE that needed a $6 adapter from an electronic house in Fresno, CA, everything else is using the BNC from radio shack for $3.
Maybe a handheld speaker/mic for the radio, between $6 and up depending on how fancy you want the mic (headset, handheld, voice activated, they even make one that wires into the vehicle with a button on the wheel to trigger the mic that is mounted up on the sun visor.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Brule, if you need better Cell coverage, get a Handsfree Kit for your vehicle, and a 3 watt booster :D excellent coverage in most places.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...Best thing would be to check to see if there are good repeaters that cover where you go...What area are you in and I can see what i can locate in repeater listings for the area, and maybe locate a local club and I can find out how the coverage is where you go....

Tell you what, if you get a license I might even have a handheld (maybe even a mobile if I can locate it) that I can help you get started with the radio gear :idea: They are both 2m (144mhz) radios.. I am 99% sure where the handheld is, and I think I know where the mobile is (I used to have it mounted to the bottom on my SSB-CB radio when I pulled the RV with my 1-ton.. its probably still mounted to the radio stored in the box).
My Zipcode is 97914 and spend quite a bit of time south of here in the Owyhees
This a a favorite spot - N 43° 30.656 W 117° 42.643

I quickly checked for clubs and it showed none within 100 miles. Looks like I would have to travel to the Oregon coast for testing.

I have seen one guy that has a Ham on his trike for years and years. He might be one of whom I should ask some questions, if I run into him this spring.

I would be interested in the radios that you have if they turn up. In the meantime I'll do a little studying and perhaps check a little further. I can't believe Boise or Nampa doesn't have a club. Maybe the tech at Ramar electronics/Radio Shack might have some ideas on who to contact.
wamason wrote:...if you need better Cell coverage, get a Handsfree Kit for your vehicle, and a 3 watt booster ...
I haven't looked into the booster, but T-Mobile doesn't offer analog for my phone, and rarely has much coverage on this half of the state. It is pretty good on the coast, and from Boise to the Wyoming border though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:My Zipcode is 97914 and spend quite a bit of time south of here in the Owyhees
This a a favorite spot - N 43° 30.656 W 117° 42.643

I quickly checked for clubs and it showed none within 100 miles. Looks like I would have to travel to the Oregon coast for testing.

I have seen one guy that has a Ham on his trike for years and years. He might be one of whom I should ask some questions, if I run into him this spring.

I would be interested in the radios that you have if they turn up. In the meantime I'll do a little studying and perhaps check a little further. I can't believe Boise or Nampa doesn't have a club. Maybe the tech at Ramar electronics/Radio Shack might have some ideas on who to contact.
I did a quick search for the IRLP stations (repeaters hooked to internet) in your area and got 5 within 50 miles, so there is a lot of activity. When I get home tonight I can lookup local clubs/tests.. I can almost (90% :) ) guarantee something closer..

I show IRLP's in:
Fruitland, ID
Emmett, ID
Caldwell, ID
Nampa, ID
and 2 in Boise, ID (almost bet there is a test site near there).

I have a listing at home where I can get the coverage for that GPS area too.
HenryJ wrote:
I haven't looked into the booster, but T-Mobile doesn't offer analog for my phone, and rarely has much coverage on this half of the state. It is pretty good on the coast, and from Boise to the Wyoming border though.
oh.. tmobile.. I'm so sorry... :wink: Thats who I have and get HORRIBLE coverage even out here by the air base.. On base it works, between the base and Lemoore (the town) there is a 6 mile stretch of garbage.. its weird, INCOMING calls work, but I cant call out there.. so if I broke down without the radio in that stretch, I'd have to hope somebody called me :shock:

I'll get you the info on close locations tonight after work.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...I'll get you the info on close locations tonight after work.
Thanks! I'll get busy and round up some study material :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What would be the best for a study guide?

RadioShack - The Beginner's Handbook of Amateur Radio, 4th Edition $34.95
RadioShack - Technician Class Book, 5th Edition

AARL.org - Now You're Talking! All You Need For Your First Amateur Radio License
5th edition

There are also a host of others on Amazon.com books, as well as Barnesandnoble.com

Any recomendations?

EDIT: Hopefully this will give me enough information to pass the test: Now You're Talking! All You Need For Your First Amateur Radio License
3rd edition

The local Radio Shack had a copy, and I needed some reading material for a shift with the ambulance service tomorrow :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Brule, what brand and model phone do you have? If there is a handsfree kit made for it, the 3 watt booster will work with it. It boosts 800 MHz Digital and Analog (Different models are required for GSM, TDMA, and CDMA), and it offers a pass through for 1900 MHz. They can be a bit pricey though.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote: what brand and model phone do you have?

Samsung N105

I'm thinking that the hand held and repeater mobile in the truck would be a really good way to have communications in some of the deep canyons. That long and lat is at the base of a cliff in a deep canyon.
I think it would be pretty awesome to have that kind of communications capability.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:What would be the best for a study guide?

RadioShack - The Beginner's Handbook of Amateur Radio, 4th Edition $34.95
RadioShack - Technician Class Book, 5th Edition

AARL.org - Now You're Talking! All You Need For Your First Amateur Radio License
5th edition

There are also a host of others on Amazon.com books, as well as Barnesandnoble.com

Any recomendations?

EDIT: Hopefully this will give me enough information to pass the test: Now You're Talking! All You Need For Your First Amateur Radio License
3rd edition

The local Radio Shack had a copy, and I needed some reading material for a shift with the ambulance service tomorrow :D
That should be a good one. Thatsthe one (older edition) I used when I got my license.
I had had surgery and was off work for about 8 weeks and had a lot of time to kill :wink:

I never have gotten into the morse code part that much.. Took a one day course on it about 5 years ago.. but ended up forgeting everything I learned in about 3 days I think :roll:
I know a lot of people who got their kids interested young (8 to 10 or younger even) and they picked the morse code up like it wasnt anything at all to learn.. I think I'm just getting to be too much of an 'old dog' for new (morse) tricks.. :)
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:I'm thinking that the hand held and repeater mobile in the truck would be a really good way to have communications in some of the deep canyons. That long and lat is at the base of a cliff in a deep canyon.
I think it would be pretty awesome to have that kind of communications capability.
I love it.. even not stuck someplace, its kinda cool to be off in some remote spot and call someone on it and say "hey, guess where I am and you're not" :poke:

Checked a little and found some info in somewhat close areas (it shows about 50 miles or less from your zipcode):
This person's home page lists them as right in Ontario, Or., I bet they would know a local club that can get you details on the local repeater coverages.

And there is this one, Treasure Valley Amateur Radio Club, they are listed as "serving ham radio operators in Southwestern Idaho and Eastern Oregon".
And I think we have a winner for testing. They list on their testing page as holding tests for people in the Fruitland, Payette, Ontario area. Looks like they do the testing in Fruitland, ID.

And I found the handheld radio, am looking for the handheld mic I have for it also.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:... Treasure Valley Amateur Radio Club, they are listed as "serving ham radio operators in Southwestern Idaho and Eastern Oregon".
And I think we have a winner for testing. They list on their testing page as holding tests for people in the Fruitland, Payette, Ontario area. Looks like they do the testing in Fruitland, ID.

And I found the handheld radio, am looking for the handheld mic I have for it also.
That was all very helpful!

Looks like they test 3rd Saturday of every month , through June.

I'll get some studying done and see what I can do about getting ready in the next few weeks :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:
kf6kmx wrote:... Treasure Valley Amateur Radio Club, they are listed as "serving ham radio operators in Southwestern Idaho and Eastern Oregon".

That was all very helpful!

Looks like they test 3rd Saturday of every month , through June.

I'll get some studying done and see what I can do about getting ready in the next few weeks :D
Glad that helped!
Let me know how its going, and if you have questions just ask!

I'm still looking for the program Ihave that shows repeaters in the area of map coord's.. I havent used it iin a while so its on a cd around here someplace :?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...I have (Yaesu FT8800 truck radio, and Yaesu VX-7R handheld)
ImageImage
Would you do the same system / combination again?

Would it be worth the extra $75 to get the FT-8900 with WIRES , 10m, and 6m bands? Or would it be better to buy the FT-8800 and spend the $75 elsewhere?

What is the "splitter" that you have for your voice antennas, and what are the antennas?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Good Luck on the test tomorrow :thumb:

top_sgt and I will be doing his lift tomorrow,

Thanks! Good luck with the lift..."the count down starts..." :D -HJ
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Tracking radio and HAM radio install in my '03

Post by HenryJ »

How is this for a resurrection. Five and one half years later.
I finally ordered what I need to get APRS running in my truck. I settled on a stand alone RTG by http://www.byonics.com/
AF6OF Posted Fri Feb 12, 2010 wrote:We are also introducing a new tracker that is designed to be as "plug and play"
as possible. The tracker, tentatively called the MT-RTG (ready to go) is smaller
than a pack of cigarettes, has mounting flanges for vehicle installation, and
about 10 Watts output. There are no controls or adjustments, just a bicolor LED
to let you know what the unit is up to. The MT-RTG will include a cigarette
lighter cable with a serial dongle, a GPS 2, and a magnet mount antenna. Like
the MT-AIO we will provide these pre-programmed, or you can download the free
programming software ( it uses regular old TT3 config) from Byonics. This unit
was designed with cars, boats, motorcycles, airplanes, etc in mind, and can be
used as a throw and go unit for temporary events where permanent installs are
infeasible. The unit is only available on 144.390.

Allen
VHS
AF6OF
The Micro-Trak RTG (Ready To Go) should be all that I need. My hope is this will be the poor-man's SPOT. Well a tracker at least.

I did use my Ipod Touch set up with OpenAPRS That works pretty well for reporting when I am able to get WiFi.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

craig wrote:It sounds like you went in a different direction, but I'll comment anyway since others might care. I've found 3 common ways to setup APRS.

1. Kenwood D700 (or new flavor) with APRS all built in. Just plug your high-end GPS into it and it will both beacon your position out the radio, and display received APRS data on the GPS.

2. A TNC. GPS plugs into TNC, TNC plugs into radio. The micro-usb can be setup to work this way. The GPS sends the position (NMEA0183) to the TNC, which then sends it out via the radio. The radio receives APRS data, sends them to the TNC, which then translates them into NMEA0183 sentences and sends them to the GPS.

Beacon: GPS->TNC->Radio->airwaves
Receive: Airwaves(APRS)->Radio->TNC->GPS

Again, the GPS must be a high end unit as it needs to support NMEA0183 Input as well as NMEA0183 output. The Garmin 60 and 76 series do this for example. I"m not sure about the unit you have.

3. The original way to do APRS was with a laptop added to the mix. This gets harder to setup, but there are some pretty cool things you can do with a laptop in there. For example, you can plot positions of other APRS beacons in OziExplorer with the OziAPRS software package (I'll be adding this to Overland Navigator next year too).

If everyone in your Expedition Team / Convoy has at least an APRS Beacon on board you can keep track of all of them (no repeater required). This is valuable both as a leader and as a follower. The leader can keep track of stragglers, or if you are following and the leader is beaconing then you can see where he is.

The basic setup here is:

- GPS plugged into the laptop (Any GPS that has a real or virtual COM port and that talks NMEA0183 Output. NMEA0183 Input is not required since you will not be using the GPS to display others locations. You'll use the laptop for that.

- APRS Software such as OziAPRS, xastir, UIView, or one of the many other APRS programs out there.

- Most people also use AGWPE or Packet Engine Pro as a sort of "driver layer" between the software and the TNC. One thing cool about this software is that you can setup AGWPE to be a "Sound Card Packet Engine" which removes the requirement for a TNC to be purchased. AGWPE is free, PE Pro is trial-ware.

- TNC, or use your sound card. I use an Elcom Micro USB TNC+ and don't really know much about using the sound card setup other than that you can do it.

So, at this point, start at the bottom and work your way up:

- Tune your radio to the APRS frequency (2m) 144.390. It is at this point that you wish you bought a dual band radio so you can have one side for talking and one for APRS. :)

- Set the radio up for digital packet use. You'll have to dig around your manual for this one. I *think* that you can skip this step if you use the Soundcard packet as it does this in software. I'm probably wrong on that though. I really only know my setup. I have an ICOM 2720H (New one w/o the problems commonly attributed to this radio).

- Make the cable you need that goes from the TNC to the radio. If you are making a soundcard packet cable you'll need to get directions on how to do this from their website.

- Plug one end of the cable into the digital out of the radio and the other end into the Elcom TNC.

- Plug the USB cable from the TNC into the laptop.

- Install Packet Engine Pro. Tell it about the TNC you just connected.

- Test that the PE Pro, the TNC, and the radio all work by using a simple program to see if you are *hearing* APRS packets. APRS looks kinda like NMEA0183 does. It is plain ASCII text and even kinda makes sense when you see it scrolling by. I forget which program I used to do this.

- Install one of the APRS programs. OziAPRS is fairly quirky. UIView seems to be one of the easier programs to setup, but to be honest I haven't found one that I like using yet. Simply put, they are all too complicated... kinda geeky with so many features crammed into a single small program that you can't figure out how to use it. This is why I'm going to write a plugin for Overland Navigator to do APRS.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Gathering information and resources: VansAirForce.com
Sam Buchanan - 05-19-2008 wrote:Since our APRS beacons are ported to the internet via receiving stations known as iGates, some APRS'ers have asked about the hardware and software requirements of setting up their own iGate. It is kinda cool to see where the packets from your own tracker have ported through your own iGate and out to the internet. An iGate is a great option for an aviator that routinely flies in a local area with a sparse iGate population. But even if your local area has lots of repeaters, the addition of an iGate only enhances the quality of APRS coverage.

Here is my iGate station:

A Yaesu FT-1802M 2-meter mobile radio feeds audio into the sound card of my desktop. The mobile radio is powered by one of the old batteries out of the RV-6 which is keep charged by a wall wart Battery Tender. Since the radio only receives as an iGate, there is practically no current draw or heat produced. The sound card (actually the computer's onboard sound card) serves as the packet modem for decoding the incoming beacons. However, any receiver that will pick up 144.39 will work (shortwave radio, scanner, handheld, etc). You just need a patch cable from the "speaker out" of the radio to "line in" on your sound card.

But wait! Even the smallest receivers will work fine for an iGate. Here is another version of my station with a Yaesu VX-2R handheld transceiver:

Software is UIView32, AGWPE, and Street Atlas. Here are some links to the software and related info:

http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/uiview_software.htm

http://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/default.htm

http://www.kc2rlm.info/soundcardpacket/

http://www.kc2rlm.info/soundcardpacket/7uiview.htm

http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ui-view/

http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/APRS_symbols.htm

Street Atlas is used for mapping in UIView. Mapping isn't necessary just for feeding packets into the iGate but it does display the location of received stations. All this will start making sense as you work your way through the links.

An inexpensive Diamond antenna is on the roof of the house:

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/f22a.html

The iGate works very nicely and ports a lot of traffic to aprs.fi. The addition of another cable or two between sound card and radio and a little software tweaking would give the station full digipeater capability. But we have several digis in the area and I don't see a need to add another one. I don't run the iGAte 24/7, just when I go flying and any other time the mood strikes, mostly weekends so the local airborne trackers can use the iGate. But supplying round-the-clock APRS support is just a matter of leaving the radio and computer running all the time.

The iGate would probably serve most of my APRS needs by itself within 100-150 miles of my home for enroute beacons. Not sure how far out it would receive my packets transmitted close to the ground, however. There are a couple of non-iGate digipeaters close by and my station ports a bunch of their transmissions to the net.

The iGate is just my way of contributing to the local APRS network and was an interesting software exercise. There are quite a few hoops to jump through to get everything configured but if someone wants to pursue their own iGate, don't hesitate to post questions and we'll get you up to speed.

Screen shots of several config tables in UI-View: Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

An iGate doesn't require a lot of expense, just some sort of receiver, your computer with a broadband connection and soundcard, some free software, and an antenna. Put everything together and get the software sorted out, and not only will you be able to see your aircraft tracker on the internet, but also your home-based iGate!
UIView worked with Street Atlas. That was a while ago, but I wonder if it can work with Topo?

Setting up an igate may be a good idea. The area around me needs more coverage. I may even have most of the resources needed. I guess I need to gather up those power supplies , old BLM radios and a few old computers. I may have everything that I need sitting in the warehouse :headscratch:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Literally less than five minutes to assemble and have it going!

Google APRS KE7CSK

The MicroTrak -RTG is awesome! I had it plugged into a power pak. I'll get a proper power port wired in this weekend.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This is the Micro-Trak-RTG

It is just dropped in behind the back seat. Flop the seat forward, unplug the power supply cord and it comes right out. The scale is hard to judge from that , but it is about the size of a cigarette pack.

I wired in a power port off of the fused side of my Yaesu FT8800.

You can see it mounted. The antenna splitter beside it. The antenna for the FRS sits beside the Bazooka tube sub. TP and matches too, All the "essentials" ;)

The switch conveniently mounted to the drivers seat. Easy to reach in case I need to seek "invisibility mode" :lol:

The antenna base is about 1" in diameter with an impressive magnet. The serial GPS receiver is weather proof and also magnetic.

I ran the cables through the door jamb. Not a permanent installation, but then this needs to be easy to swap.

The small wire if the antenna disappears nicely and the GPS is hidden by the roof rack. Other than the cables exiting the top of the door it is a pretty clean install. I thought about running them through the rear window, but that is not as easy with the topper on and this offers better weather resistance.

This is a one way solution. Send position only. Others can see me. I do not yet have a full grasp of what exactly is needed to receive and plot points to my mapping software in the vehicle. I do know that this is not part of that. Some day vehicle to vehicle tracking may be a part of my system. That will require other hardware and software.
I take baby steps to fully understand a system. This is step one.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Off topic but, what happened to your trickle charger?

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:Off topic but, what happened to your trickle charger?
Do you mean the onboard Battery charger mounted behind my grille, or the charging cradle mounted beside my seat just to the rear of that switch?
In either case they are both still there and in service.
I don't think the 1.5 amp marine charger is quite enough for keeping the system fully charged , only being plugged in over night. Longer term it may do ok, but if I were to do it again, I think I would go with the Deltran Battery Tender 5 amp charger

I have not had problems, but the YellowTop still seems to lose ground. My best guess that while it is harder to discharge (deep cycle trait) , it also does not receive a charge as readily either. It does fine when it has plenty of time to charge, but during short trips it loses ground. I find that monthly I really need to fully charge the battery to get back to fully charged.
The Diehard Platinum seemed to work better in this regard.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OK, I was talking about the MagLite but, I think I see a part of it now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:OK, I was talking about the MagLite but, I think I see a part of it now.
Yup, it is still there, just a little farther back.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Okay, I just came across this thread and I seen theres photos at the top of installing the radio in the truck. I have a Kenwood TK-790 radio id like to mount in my truck. I am having trouble finding a mounting location where it wont interfear with the movment of seats, my legs or being away from where im actually sitting. I would be curious to see the install photos, if they are still around so maybe I can get some ideas.

For now I have taken the ashtray dash section out under my HVAC controls. The radio looks like it might fit in there, but its a tight squeeze.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ApproachMedium wrote:Okay, I just came across this thread and I seen theres photos at the top of installing the radio in the truck... I would be curious to see the install photos, if they are still around so maybe I can get some ideas.
kf6kmx is long gone.
Mine is here: Dual band ham radio

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Thanks. So it looks like your using a remote radio head? I believe I can get one for my Kenwood, but from where I dont know. It would be nice to mount the radio unit back where the sub is like you have, I also have a bazooka tube behind the seat. And then have just the head and mic up by my center console.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The head removes from the radio and I mounted it up front. For the Yaesu all that is needed is a six conductor phone cable and coupler.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Nice. The unit I have is a Kenwood that I got for nothing and was already programmed to send and recieve on all 99 AAR railroad channels. Otherwise I would have gotten one with a removable head. I guess Ill have to keep looking around for the remote head for mine.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What model do you have? Pictures?

I have an old CB radio mounted in place of my ashtray. That might work. I have seem some mount their radio inside the lower center console. A side hinged lid works better there.
If you don't mind blocking the center cup holders I suppose you could mount it to the face where the cassette storage compartment is located.

There are lots of options.

You could just use the "free" radio as your APRS and mount it behind the back seat. Then get another radio for voice. Maybe sell that radio to finance the one you want?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I dont have any pictures right now can take some after work. Its a Kenwood TK-790. It doesnt work in the cassette thing, too big. I put my power inverter in there instead heh. I got the ashtray and holder out of the dash and it seems like it will fit there, I just need to devise a way to mount it.

Unfortunatly this radio cant be sold, so cant go with that option heh. Is there a good resourse for buying accessories for this stuff online? I also need an antenna and wire for it too but I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

oPPS almost forgot I was going to add this to the thread...

Top photo shows where Id like to try and mount it, and bottom photo is the radio sitting by itself.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ