XM Satelite

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Hinch068
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

XM Satelite

Post by Hinch068 »

looking into getting XM but cannot settle on a good spot to install it, any ideas?
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: XM Satelite

Post by kf6kmx »

Hinch068 wrote:looking into getting XM but cannot settle on a good spot to install it, any ideas?
Check out the photos in my other article
Tracker radio
I have the Pioneer in dash with the remote XM tuner behind the seat (its in the photos).

I tried the 'Roadie' setup but around my ara the options for the fm broadcast to the stock radio were all taken by rather strong (and not english) radio stations that would actually interfere with the XM, even though the satelite was much closer to the radio! So I went with the Pioneer.. plus it gets me MP3 ability.. I took all the (store bought) cd's in my 96cd case, made MP3 out of them, and burned them to one disc.. much easier to carry now :)
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

consider the number of people who have cancelled thier XM before you "pay" for radio, i had it in my 03 sunfire, most of the time i was listening to regular radio, every now and then i would listen to nascar updates when i was on the road and not in front of a TV, the weather channel is one of the best things about it but that is about the same as the weather channel on cable or satelite TV, you wait forever for them to come anywhere near where you live, the regular radio from your area will keep you much more up to date, at one time my parents and i had three cars that were XM ready, they both cancelled thier subcritions, i was the only one who did not, simply because it would have cost me more to terminate early rather than waiting on my subscriptsion to expire, just choose wisely before you install, it cost a good bit of money to install all of the eguipment, just make sure that two months down the road you aren't gonna want to cancell.

Just my 1 cents, can't afford the other 1 cent! hahaha
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
Hinch068
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hinch068 »

Thank you both...I will have to look into the programming a bit further. Want to keep the inside pretty much stock.
2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

This is my setup......Image 8)

Contrary to Max' comments, I like my Sirius system very much. It's what I listen to most of the time. There is no contract! It is month to month (so is XM) unless you want a slightly lower price then you can buy a one or two year subscription. As far as my setup goes, I bought a bracket from Best buy ($25) that bolts into the right side of the a/c control panel beneath the trim panel. I also ordered an input plug for my head unit so that I can feed the audio (and my IPOD)directly into the radio($19) from crutchfield. My JVC tuner also has a built in FM transmitter so the direct audio feed is not really necessary.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Hinch068
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hinch068 »

Set up looks great and thanks for the input...more to think about! I live in NY and the radio up here is nothing but non stop commercials and very little music...
2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I have the Sirius also and absolutely love it. I don't listen to terestrial (FM) radio anymore at all and hardly ever but a CD in. I have a Kenwood Deck that is Sirius ready and I mounted the tuner behind the back seat (above the amp for my subs). I couldn't recommend it more...when I got it my wife thought that it was really a stupid thing to pay for something that you can get free...now she wants Sirius in her car!!
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Satellite radio is the 2nd greatest thing ever!

Post by n0m4d »

I have been using Sirius for about 2 months and can’t say enough good things about it. Satellite radio is the 2nd greatest thing ever! In fact I’m listening to it right now on my pc (for no extra charge). I just finished ripping out all of the stock audio and replacing it mostly with Alpine. With Alpine you can use either XM or Sirius but I found that you get more for the $$ with Sirius. I also have the iPod adapter which treats the iPod like a CD changer and so you can control and display info right on the head unit’s screen. Here are some pics of the install:

[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
Hinch068
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hinch068 »

Ok here's a tip when you take a picture next time do not have the Go Go's on there, our lips are sealed.......LOL...Looks great though.
2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5
Hinch068
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Satellite radio is the 2nd greatest thing ever!

Post by Hinch068 »

n0m4d wrote:I have been using Sirius for about 2 months and can’t say enough good things about it. Satellite radio is the 2nd greatest thing ever! In fact I’m listening to it right now on my pc (for no extra charge). I just finished ripping out all of the stock audio and replacing it mostly with Alpine. With Alpine you can use either XM or Sirius but I found that you get more for the $$ with Sirius. I also have the iPod adapter which treats the iPod like a CD changer and so you can control and display info right on the head unit’s screen. Here are some pics of the install:

images

Where did you install the antenna and how did you route it?
2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

Ok here's a tip when you take a picture next time do not have the Go Go's on there, our lips are sealed.......LOL...Looks great though.
Hey! What's wrong with the Go Gos. Actually I skimmed through the channels looking for something really cheesy on purpose (yea thats it). Thanks for the compliment, I spent 8 weekends on it starting on Halloween. In the spring I plan to dress up the cables in some loom and flush mount my door tweeters.
Where did you install the antenna and how did you route it?
I mounted the antenna just in front of the 3rd brake light. I removed the lens and drilled a hole in the light's base and fed the wire through to the interior. The wire runs under the headliner, then down the rear/side and then across the back to the tuner mounted behind the seat. Then I notched out a small area (barely the width of the wire) where the seal is made under the lens and reinstalled the lens. The antenna itself is magnetic. I was concerned about heat in the light so I also replaced the bulbs with LED's just to be safe. Probally not necessary (they were only $8 each).

It's almost harder to describe than to do. Its all stayed in place with no leaks yet so I happy.

I'll try to take a pic when its not snowing.
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I've got XM factory in the Bonneville and I added it to the Jimmy. I've got steering wheel radio controls and Bose so I didn't want to change out the head unit. I added the SkyPhi kit. There really isn't any great place to mount the SkyPhi unit. I bought a flexable mount that bolts to the floor on the right side of the console and holds the unit up kinda to the right of the radio. I'm waiting for a better mount to come along and then I'll scrap the flexable arm for something better.

On mind I ran the antenna out under the 3rd brake light using holes already in the roof. It worked perfectly.
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
jmb222
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jmb222 »

I have a Roady2 in mine. I made a bracket that attaches to the heater controls and is front of the ashtray. You can still get into the ashtray. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it for you, if you want to see it.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I ordered a Roady2 today actually -- Xmas present from the wife :-)

I was planning on either making the bracket to go in front of the ashtray like you mentioned, or hanging it in the space between my rearview mirror and my compas in the overhead console (Dunno if you crewcab guys have the overhead.)

Can youpost a pic of the mount and setup you made?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:... (Dunno if you crewcab guys have the overhead.)...
We do :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jmb222
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jmb222 »

I think it might also fit into the ashtray. I was thinking of trying that also. I also thought about putting it above the rear view mirror also. There isn't a good spot to mount a bracket though. There is 1 screw holding the front of the overhead console on, but I was worried it would spin.

I am going to make a something to put into my wife's Jetta to hold it when I drive her car. I have access to a CNC router at work, and I use Pro/E (3D modeling software) at work, so designing one shouldn't be hard for me. I started to think about doing the same for the S10.

Biter
Hinch068
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hinch068 »

Finally bought an XM radio. Alpine with built in XM tuner. I will post a pic. How do I do it?
2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I swear that I saw a pic of someone who had mounted thiers under the heater controls - maybe that person emailed the pis to me , or they are in the gallery - I figured I would add a pic of my install here. I just took a cardboard template to make a hardmount that attached where the ashtray bolts to the dash, and then some thin gauge galvanized steel and
routed it all out through the dash piece, and used the swivel mount that came with the Roady 2.

I plan on adding a aux 12volt hookup in the near future -- I want one that is switched instead of constant like my cig. lighter is.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I'm wondering why somone would replace the receiver and still have the stand alone XM receiver? I did the add on XM because I didn't want to lose the function of my steering wheel controls by replacing the stock radio otherwise I would have just installed a XM ready receiver.
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

In my case it was simple math:

My headunit was a fairly upper line Kenwood Excelon PS709 when I bought it for about $450 new. I also have a 10 disc changer in my center console that works with it, and both units have been in my last 3 vehicles. Unfortunately, the age of the 709 means that is isn't an XM ready tuner. I like my headunit and have no reason to sell it, and since I had no prior XM experience, I wasn't about to spend a considerable amount more on a new tuner. My $95 Roady2 does well, and I have the home dock for it so that I can take it inside when I want to.

Steeringwheel controls would be nice -- but I don't think that too many S-10's or blazers came with them -- I'm thinking that might be more common on the Jimmy/Envoy line.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

adrenalnjunky wrote:In my case it was simple math:

My headunit was a fairly upper line Kenwood Excelon PS709 when I bought it for about $450 new. I also have a 10 disc changer in my center console that works with it, and both units have been in my last 3 vehicles. Unfortunately, the age of the 709 means that is isn't an XM ready tuner. I like my headunit and have no reason to sell it, and since I had no prior XM experience, I wasn't about to spend a considerable amount more on a new tuner. My $95 Roady2 does well, and I have the home dock for it so that I can take it inside when I want to.

Steeringwheel controls would be nice -- but I don't think that too many S-10's or blazers came with them -- I'm thinking that might be more common on the Jimmy/Envoy line.
If you've had the head unit for awhile then that makes sense. I would have rather just replaced the head unit with a XM ready model and been done with it. I still might!

I know you couldn't get steering wheel controls on the S-10/Sonoma but you could on the Blazer/Jimmy/Envoy. My 2001 Blazer had them too.

Steve
jmb222
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jmb222 »

I'm wondering why somone would replace the receiver and still have the stand alone XM receiver?

I bought a Roady2 because I wanted XM in the truck, the car and in my office. I can with it and only pay one subscription. I also bought a Sony MP3 head unit with an Audio In in the back. So I ran a RCA-to-Headphone cord for a direct input. I will eventually post images, but it's like 1 degree here today. Maybe this weekend it will be warmer.
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

For me I like it simple. I've got the factory XM in the car which is nice and simple. It's all done in the head unit. In my Jimmy having the seperate Skyphi is a pain in the ass. In my case, the Skyphi never leaves the truck but it would be handy if I used it in the house etc but I don't. Maybe I should? :idea:
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I remounted my Skyphi the other night and wanted to share some pictures. I had it on a mount that was a flexable arm that mounted to the floor. It wasn't terrible but I wanted something more stable. I bought one of the Pro-Fit vehicle specific mounts. I really like it alot better than the arm

Steve
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

hey, n0m4d, how are you liking the Alpine controlling the iPod? I just droppped about $500 on an Alpine CDA-9831 with the iPod adapter and I can't say enough about how good it sounds. The cd player it self is light years better sounding than the old Sony I had. (I hate to admit this since I am a diehard Sony fan)
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sony Syndrome

Post by n0m4d »

Swbari00, that’s funny because I have Sony addiction too.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-12-13

For car audio though, Alpine is hard to beat. My CDA-9835 sounds amazing as well (I hear things in songs that I never noticed before).

I really, really like the iPod controller. It’s so great having a zillion songs available in the car at any time without fumbling with adapters or having the iPod visible. I have the iPod stashed in the center console in the lower bin. I figure only an S-10 owner would find it there. The sound is perfect as well.

If I had to pick at it, the way the head unit controls the iPod is a tad awkward at first. I would have preferred it to be controlled the same as a CD loaded with MP3s is controlled. But I quickly got used to it and don’t even notice it anymore.

Have you played with any of the online ipersonalize features? I havn’t been confident that I have the eq, crossover and bass focus setting done right. It was a little confusing to me. What happened to plain old bass and treble?
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

I have tried playing with them, and I think they will be VERY cool and good sounding once I figure out how they work. I haven't had much time to do much to it yet. :( I work way too much :?

btw...funny stuff that ol' comic there :)
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

My XM mounting point

[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

jeff024 wrote:My XM mounting point

Doesn't that block your switches? If I mounted mine there it would block my foglight switch and my dome light button.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

not really as you can see in the pic all the buttons are not hidden by the XM the only 1 I need to reach behind the XM for is the dome light but I dont think I have used that button more then 10 times
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]