To chime or not to chime.

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

To chime or not to chime.

Post by ace »

I went to Best Buy to purchase the harness adaptor for a 2003 RDS radio for an aftermarket radio I have and they asked me if I want the chimes still. I said I didn't care but now I'm wondering if I should of said yes. I think the adaptor with the chimes is pricey. Will I lose anything besides the chimes without going with the adaptor with the chimes? Anyone have any input either way is appreciated?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

You don't need any special adapter on a 2003...just get a plain old harness for that year (I think I remember it being a 24 pin but I could be wrong). Unlike some GM vehicles of that year the S-10's computer is completely seperate from the radio.

The issue arises on certain vehicles in which some functions (like the chimes) are actually handled within the radio. In those instances if you don't want to lose the chimes, etc. you have to relocate the radio to the trunk with a t harness (yes that's right you have to leave the factory radio in the car and then add the new one with a t harness).

For some reason most installation places (Best Buy is a habitual offender) can't seem to realize that the S-10's with the RDS do not require this. Just remove the factory radio, get a standard harness, plug in the new deck and there ya go. The chimes will still work just fine...and I know because I changed out the RDS radio in my 2003 and I've had no problems at all. If I were you I would make sure I know exactly what part number I need before I ever go into Best Buy (when I was changing my radio out it took me three trips before I finally took my factory radio in and got the right harness). They just don't have a clue at all (except the one that I worked at...when I worked there...damn I need to open my own shop). Hope this helps!!
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

coreylubahn wrote:You don't need any special adapter on a 2003...just get a plain old harness for that year (I think I remember it being a 24 pin but I could be wrong). Unlike some GM vehicles of that year the S-10's computer is completely seperate from the radio.

The issue arises on certain vehicles in which some functions (like the chimes) are actually handled within the radio. In those instances if you don't want to lose the chimes, etc. you have to relocate the radio to the trunk with a t harness (yes that's right you have to leave the factory radio in the car and then add the new one with a t harness).

For some reason most installation places (Best Buy is a habitual offender) can't seem to realize that the S-10's with the RDS do not require this. Just remove the factory radio, get a standard harness, plug in the new deck and there ya go. The chimes will still work just fine...and I know because I changed out the RDS radio in my 2003 and I've had no problems at all. If I were you I would make sure I know exactly what part number I need before I ever go into Best Buy (when I was changing my radio out it took me three trips before I finally took my factory radio in and got the right harness). They just don't have a clue at all (except the one that I worked at...when I worked there...damn I need to open my own shop). Hope this helps!!
Thanks a lot for the info. I bought the regular harness but I'll be sure to check it now that you said that. I could just see myself getting it all soldered up and then going to install it and it's the wrong one. This issue was the same on my Grand Am and it was the same way you had to put the head unit in the trunk etc. I laughed at that one. Thanks again.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]