Ham Radio Install

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Ham Radio Install

Post by HenryJ »

This is going to take a while since I'm fighting a nasty flu bug...

Here are a couple progress shots-

After lots of debating I decided to go for the Yaesu FT-8800. Some of the deciding factors were , easily modifiable, phone cord remote cable, available software. And mostly the assistance and experience of kf6kmx :thumb:

I decided the console was the place to mount it. Removing the CD holder offered a nice place to mount the remote speaker , as well as a place to install the aux. inputs for my laptop. I traded my cassette console for a storage tray console. Externally it looks better than the one in my truck. Too bad the bottom is broken out of the front mount :( I'll make it work though :D

I plan to mount the radio behind the back seat since it should be a cool place to mount, good airflow. By now you must think that I am copying kf6kmx's install. I will admit his system seems to work and all that I have researched has headed me this direction.

The antennas are black Larsen whips. Yes , two run through a duplexer (sounds familiar ;) ). They will be mounted using NMO mounts drilled through the front roof rack feet. This will allow me to install the cargo box without removing them.

More as the install continues....
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Ham Radio Install

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:This is going to take a while since I'm fighting a nasty flu bug...

Here are a couple progress shots-

After lots of debating I decided to go for the Yaesu FT-8800. Some of the deciding factors were , easily modifiable, phone cord remote cable, available software. And mostly the assistance and experience of kf6kmx :thumb:

Nice choice 8)
HenryJ wrote: I decided the console was the place to mount it. Removing the CD holder offered a nice place to mount the remote speaker , as well as a place to install the aux. inputs for my laptop. I traded my cassette console for a storage tray console. Externally it looks better than the one in my truck. Too bad the bottom is broken out of the front mount :( I'll make it work though :D
I can honsestly say that location for the head never occurred to me! How well does it work there? Good visibility? The only drawback I have found so far to mine being by the factory radio, is the laptop mount will comepltely cover it if I swing the laptop over the console for a passenger,
HenryJ wrote:
I plan to mount the radio behind the back seat since it should be a cool place to mount, good airflow. By now you must think that I am copying kf6kmx's install. I will admit his system seems to work and all that I have researched has headed me this direction.
I tried the 'under the passenger seat' install first, only had it there about a week, wasnt satisfied with the airflow.. Behind the back seat it has never had any temp issues, and it gives it plenty of room for the duplexer / etc.
HenryJ wrote: The antennas are black Larsen whips. Yes , two run through a duplexer (sounds familiar ;) ). They will be mounted using NMO mounts drilled through the front roof rack feet. This will allow me to install the cargo box without removing them.

More as the install continues....

Thats a good idea.. I didnt have a rack on, or have any plans for one, when I did my antennas so didnt really consider that.. What I have considered is a roof mounted light bar, mounted just back of the first antenna.. I liked the setup I've seen before with a 5-light bar.. They had the outside two facing their respecgive side at 90deg to the truck path, next two in from that facing forward, and center facing rear.. Each direction on its own switch, giving a '90 deg step floordlight pattern'. With two forward, one each side, and one back. To keep the wiring nightmware down I have a setup of my own design that I've used before wth a primary power feed, and a 'singnal cable' going up to the bar, with a control 'pack' mounted on the lightbar to control which lights are on with which switch.
I'll have to post a diagram and parts list.. Its a lot easier than running multiple arge power feeds :) Bascially uses CAT5 network cable for the control feed.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well , I think the antibiotics have been working and I have felt a little better so I completed the install-

The antennas were mounted in the front feet of my roof rack. This has them set wide enough to allow for installing the cargo box. Mounting them like this you can hardly tell they are there until you get fairly close :D

The Yaesu FT-8800R radio is installed behind the rear seat-

I mounted the bracket and then cut slots (a little too high :roll: ) in the plastic cover, so it could be snapped back in place. I should have taken a better measurement so that the duplexer could be mounted directly to the radio :roll: . I added a short coax and placed it beside for now.
You can see the RadioShack FRS radio/antenna sitting there as well as the Bazooka tube.

All that was needed for remote mounting the control head was 6 conductor phone cable (low cost mod :D ) -

I built the mounting bracket out of 1/4" ABS. Mounted the remote speaker where the CD holder had been. The back of the remote speaker housing holds the assembly.
There was room to install a couple RCA inputs , so I wired in the aux. input adapter. This way the box can be hidden underneath the console. Much cleaner :D.
The control head uses a quick attachment to the radio body. I carefully cut it apart. I left a small portion attached to the radio to fill a gap at the case cover and the surround for the cable connection. This left me with a nice flat mounted bracket that leaves the control head quickly detachable. That is what I mounted to the ABS bracket on the console. (no cost mod :D )

I haven't had a chance to try things much yet, but the location does seem pretty good. I can steady my arm by resting it on the console, making it easier for my fat fingers to hit those tiny buttons ;)
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

dont mean to sound slow but what is a ham...? what does it do... and why would you need it in the rig just another toy?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

camelott112 wrote:dont mean to sound slow but what is a ham...? what does it do... and why would you need it in the rig just another toy?
Allows for communication that would otherwise be unavailable.

Greater range and transmission power. Through the use of repeaters and or the internet nodes world wide communication is available.

This radio receives frequencies from 108-999.995mhz and transmits on 144-148mhz , as well as 430-450mhz.

Think of it as a "big boys CB on steroids". It has 10x the output power, available repeaters, and autopatch. I will be able to set this up as a repeater and hike in the canyons with a handheld. I can then "hit" the truck and get out. Normally there is no communication available. Cell towers are no where near having coverage in the Owyhees, and a CB won't reach even some of the people that are traveling with us.

I can also listen to and scan emergency frequencies, weather reports, air traffic, etc.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

holy wowzers thats quite a little box there hmmm maybe i can convince the air force that i need one because it is so hazardous here in alaska i mean not having one would be like refusing to potentially save damage to government property
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are going to have to study and get your license first :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hey Brule, I see you're back from your trip. Hope it went well. I was looking over this thread and have a question. How did you get the CD holder out of the console without busting it to pieces, or did you break it? I have my 2m and a cheapie CB stack mounted on a modified slide mount that I want to put over the top of the CD holder. I was thinking that instead of drilling holes, if I could get the CD holder out, I would use something like molly bolts that would hook under the edge of the hole where the CD holder was. I measured and test fit everything and I can still use the cup holders and also they clear the console lid. Thankfully, they are both small radios!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Never mind. Figured it out.