Amp Turn-On lead

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

df_CrewCab

Amp Turn-On lead

Post by df_CrewCab »

Does anyone know of the best way to wire an amp turn-on lead. I know you should probably go to the fuse block, but with these mini fuses, how do you connect a jumper to them. I have the stock headunit (6-disc indash) and I'm assuming that there is no amp turn-on (power antenna) lead from it. I bought a Kenwood WooX sub that I am trying to hook up. Any help would be very much appreciated.
2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab ZR5
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The best way to get juice from a fuse box (in my opinion) is to get a mini block. It's basically a small block that replaces the original fuse, and has slots for two fuses on top of it, as well as a wire pigtail.

http://www.tessco.com/products/getProdu ... ?sku=13827
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
df_CrewCab

Post by df_CrewCab »

Do they make those for the mini fuses? The fuse panel in my truck uses the mini blade fuses and I haven't seen any adapters like that for those fuses.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You will probably need some sort of Line Output Converter. Usually you need one of these to hook up an amp to a factory reciever with no RCA cables, but maybe the WOOX hooks up diferently. :?
Crutchfield sells them, but I think you can find them several places like Radio Shack, Walmart, etc.

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yea, I'm using the mini ATC version in my fusebox. Someone should have them. Just please don't wrap wire around the blad of a fuse!!!! :D
--Walt
df_CrewCab

Post by df_CrewCab »

Does anyone know where I can get 1 of these. I have been unable to find them anywhere. It looks as if www.tessco.com is for corporate buyers only.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

dunno about the tessco thing -- your link didn't take me to a particular product.

On the remote turn on - when you take your factory headunit out to wire in your RCA converter - just crimp a piggyback splice connector to the Yellow wire in the stock harness - that's the 12V switched power wire.

that would turn the amp on anytime the Key is in the ACC or Run positions.

Now - if that isn't good enough, then you might be able to get trick with it if you have a Pink wire in the wiring harness - that is usually the standard GM color for the Power antenna trigger wire. Sometimes you can use a relay in conjunction with that wire to switch the amp on only when the radio is on. I don't believe that you can wire your remote turn on directly to the pink - I think it is a very low amperage output on that circuit, and a amp turn on may not work properly.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yea, Tessco is for corporate buyers only, but it's the only place with a pic of that item :D

Other than that, I agree, taping in to an existing acc wire is the best way to go.
--Walt
aa21830

Post by aa21830 »

wamason wrote:Other than that, I agree, taping in to an existing acc wire is the best way to go.
You'll also want to include a small inline fuse with the turn-on lead. Maybe a 1-amp fuse, something like this:

Inline Fuse
[size=75]John S.
2004 BlaZeR2
1996 Sonoma 4x4[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I got my remote power for my amp from the original fuse block. I stripped the remote wire going to the amp end and shoved it in at the same time the fuse was pushed in to the fuse box and it is now wedged in there. FREE.. My amp turns on when i turn the truck on.. I sat and thought about it and come to think of it I never turn my radio off so why would the amp need to go off.. that is why I didnt care the the power is always on .. i hope u understand me .. I think the fuse was the blower motor
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]