QuickFist Mounting hardware / Maglite install

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

QuickFist Mounting hardware / Maglite install

Post by HenryJ »

End of the Road Products
I came across these mounts and decided to give them a try. I have been packing the 6 cell Maglite in my tool box. After seeing these mounts used, I may add it to the interior.

The mounts look really good, and are in two sizes for use to mount virtually anything from jacks to air bottles.

I ordered the QuickFist ($9.95 pair and free shipping) mounts. We will see how well they perform :D Might be overkill for a Maglite? Nah! :lol:

Here are some examples of their uses: QuickFist in use
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I looked at them on the other post about them from today and am highly interested in what you decide about them.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For a maglight mount or even a light shovel mount I think these would work fine.

I would question the longevity of the retention straps after being subjected to UV for a long period though.
They show being used to mount a Highlift jack, but I'd feel more comfortable with steel mounts for something of that weight. I just don't think that these would hold up on rough roads with only one 1/4" bolt holding them each on. The mount would survive, but I'd worry about it pulling off of the bolt. It would have to be mounted horizontally, since these do not grip that well for verticle mounting.

They are a nice quality piece, and for this application , I do not know of a better solution at this time.
The company has a "small buisness feel", shipping was prompt and the communication was very good. Good people to buisness with directly.

Time will tell if this is a good investment :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I was gonna post a link to those the other day and forgot about it -- I came across a review of them HERE and decided to put them on the short list of planned upgrades.

I want to mount a flashlight where you have yours HJ, and a fire extinguisher somewhere - maybe in the cargo area.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:...and a fire extinguisher somewhere - maybe in the cargo area.
I'm thinking about mounting my extinguisher to the inside base of the B post.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I just mounted my maglite to my toolbox in the back. I have the toolbox bolted to the floor, I also mounted my fire extenguisher to the top and my hi-lift to the side. I LOVE it, now all of my stuff doesn't fly around the back of my cab :D

here is a pic of the maglite

[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I like the Hi Lift jack mount but, am like HJ :)

If I did not have a rechargeable "Mag" I would use this type of mount Image
readily accessable inside the cab.

These serve both

They hold tight mounted horizontally, vertically and any point in between :D

I can vouch for both in durability :)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I would have used some actual mag-lite mounts but I COULD NOT find any.
Actually I think I like the quick fist mounts better b/c there is NO possible way that thing is coming out of there.

My friend made me the hi-lift mounts in his shop class, they are pretty beefy.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

We are all diffrent and like diffrent things. :lol:

Anyone can buy from a police or emergency services supplier. Just cant order the agency named stuff without an ID of letterhead. :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like I will be removing my Quickfist mounted Maglite.

I can use the mounts for my shovel , or something else now. Today I won a drawing at NAPA and received a rechargeable AC/DC Maglite. I didn't even know that I had been entered in the drawing :shock: The outside salesman stopped by and said that they put all the regular customers in a hat and I won :mg: It is a NAPA promotional item so it is etched with the NAPA logo.
Very nice!
It came with two quick release brackets, so I can mount one in the garage for charging from AC if I want to. The other will obviously be mounted in my truck.

It will replace the one I pictured above :thumb:

Reed, do you have a picture of yours mounted?
Time for me to steal some ideas if you don't mind :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Maglite Mounting Woes

Congrats on the win!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thank you!

I forgot about that thread. Thanks for linking it.

Would you change the location at all?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Would you change the location at all?
Brule, You are more than "welcome" and I am more than glad to help out for a change. I used that location in several of my "G" rides and like it. It truly can be mounted in any position (I never tried a roof mount) and will remain in the charger.

You are already used to your light being there and have already developed muscle and mental memory for it's present location :D Sorry, that was a little of the firearm stuff bleeding over here but, you are used to where it is at. You may need that light quickly and since yours was always there, I'd go for that location. I can't think of a better location now. You;ll need to remove the light to clean there and check the contacts because we all have a little water come in now and then. Definitely no need to worry about battery drain there unless you have several things wired hot. Wire it constant on is my recommendation.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Wire it constant on is my recommendation.
My thought as well.

Did you use self tapping screws through the floorboard?

Any loosening?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:........Did you use self tapping screws through the floorboard? Any loosening?
That metal there may be close enough to the seat bolts to have more than what I call "pot"(very soft) metal but, not loosening. The carpeting may act as a spring type washer. When you separate the charger's mounting plate from the plastic portion of the charger just look out for angles for it to be reassembled. Just snug the screws up for the charger's mounting plate. If, you warp it, relax. It is pretty forgiving on reassembly :D

Self tapping are fine. That is all I ever used.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Brule, you may need to mount the light in the exact same place as you have it now. By looking at the picures, f9k9 has more room on the floor panel than we do. He has the electric seat controls, and it looks like the seat control panel sits higher than our side panel. I'm not sure, but I thought I had tried to position my Maglite, using the actual Maglite mounts that were supplied and f9k9 posted above, exactly where f9k9 has his but it was going to hit and completely rub the door. I could be completely wrong, (wouldn't be the first time), but seeing that you already have the holes in the seat side skirt-Might as well use them and no more drilling. I'm sure you'll check, double check, and then triple check, just an observation.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, you look at Brule's current mount and mine.....I don't see much difference. Mine is mounted several more inches towards the rear (look at my end cap hidden by my the seatbelt). This was a result of learning from a couple of earlier locations when my boot heel caught the mag on a rapid dismount. I may be wrong but, our seats do not look all that dissimilar.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I will have to check things out. Those power seats may make things a little different.
Thanks for the observations. I will look into mounting where mine is currently located. Sounds like they are secure in any position.
I may follow Reed's lead. I have hooked my heel on my 6 cell maglite. That is why I now carry the 5 cell maglite.
This one is four so should leave plenty of room.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

You are probably correct f9k9 :wink: , but I'm completely unfamiliar with any of the newer CC seat configurations. :oops: Thinking of my truck with the seat all the way back and the side cover that goes all the way to the floor, it just seems like you have a little more room. Just figuring he already had the holes-might as well use them. Although with mine, I have noticed that occasionally when I pull the flashlight out from the holder, the side panel comes away from the seat while "YANKING" the light out in a fast manner, so I've been thinking of putting a cotter key or pin though the side cover seat mount pins/slides. There's never too manyoptions.... :wink:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WVHogRider wrote:...I've been thinking of putting a cotter key or pin though the side cover seat mount pins/slides.
Not a bad idea. Maybe a good place for zipties? Maybe even back that panel with a piece of aluminum? Maybe just eliminate one of the Quickfist mounts?
You are right , "lots of options" :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:You are probably correct f9k9 :wink: , but I'm completely unfamiliar with any of the newer CC seat configurations.
Mine is an '02 so, we need to stop worrying about a few holes drilled :wink: It is not like we are going to see one of our rigs with matching serial numbers on TV, going for 6 digits any time soon :lol: . Holes in the carpet will never be noticed. If, leaks are a worry, then, seal them off :D I know from where you are coming from though. I hated drilling on a publicly owned rig for antennas and emergency lighting. I don't even know what point I was trying to make other than "don't worry, be happy" :lol:
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

After seeing HJ's setup I got the rechargeable one last christmas. I tried mounting it in the same location but it looked like it would rub the door. I'll try it again and get some pictures. BTW...I don't have the power seats
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, anything the power seats appear to have less room between the seat and door. You're going to have just one mounting location (the charger) and the end cab can can be angled to suit your needs. I don't recall grabbing the light with the door closed so, I don't know if you can. I just had many years of opening the door and my left hand grabbing the mag lite all in one move. One "heads up" on the mag lites is that if, the thing is completely dead and you don't know if, it is switched "on" or "off" that they will not charge in the "off" position.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I decided to reuse one of the holes already drilled in the cover where I had the previous light mounted. It did not look like there was a spot big enough to mount it to the floor board. It looks like the power seats do have more room there.

I ran the wires to the sill plate and up the kick panel to the in dash fuse block. The "AMPF" fuse was unused in my truck, so that is where I connected the positive wire. I drilled a hole and screwed the ground wire to the floor under the sill plate.

The whole install took a couple hours including a trip to the salvage yard for a fuseblock with wires to salvage for adding to mine.

It does touch the door pocket on the carpeted area. Not too hard but just compresses the carpet/fuzz. The hilt rests against the seat belt lower mount. I think it will be a good place to have it. It is secure and supported.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:thumb: Nice to see that it's done. By the way, where do you find all the time to do these mods? :!: I can't seem to find any time to do this stuff. I'm still trying to get my Christmas decor/lights up.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WVHogRider wrote:where do you find all the time to do these mods?... I'm still trying to get my Christmas decor/lights up.
I don't put up xmas lights. You gotta get your priorities straight :lol:
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You probably will not have a problem with the ground under the sill plate but, if you start having ground problems it will be due to moisture there. I've several rigs develope problems due to moisture when grounding in the cab's floorboard.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good point. Due to the desert climate moisture is not as much of an issue as in your climate. Just in case though I covered it in silicone on the topside and filled a little vacuum line cap with silicone and pushed it over the exposed screw underneath. It is sealed on both sides :thumb:

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I used a stainless steel screw too.

Details, details :roll:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds like a plan :wink:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I recently installed a streamlight stinger. I put it on the passenger floor right next to the center console but far enough forward so the seat can still move ahead. I now carry that and a maglight.

Will leaving the flashlight on the charger overnight run my battery dead? I'm going to try it tonight seeing as it will be a little warmer to reduce the risk of ruining my battery. I don't see how it would run the battery dead but just a precautionary question.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I leave my rechargeable Maglite in the charger all the time. I do plug the truck into the onboard battery charger though.
I do not know the drain your charger puts on the system, but eventually, it will draw it down. It might be a couple days, week, or month.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I thought our crews would shut down power drains like lights and chargers after the engine was shut down?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think you are referring to the battery saver feature. That works for the stock systems as measured by the BCM. It is possible that an accessory installed in such a way that it would be properly isolated by the BCM , might be shut off to preserve the starting power needed.
I have not found this to be the case for the accessory ports, or the accessories that I have added.

Suffice it to say , I HAVE killed my battery a few times. Leaving the inverter and laptop on for the day will run the battery down beyond where it will start. My inverter is connected to the power port.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

OK. Guess I never figured they would not include stuff plugged into the power ports as a monitored drain.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I leave my rechargeable Maglite in the charger all the time. I do plug the truck into the onboard battery charger though.
I do not know the drain your charger puts on the system, but eventually, it will draw it down. It might be a couple days, week, or month.
I do the same thing but, believe it would be weeks before you had a concern. Once it is charged all, you are actually powering is a small led
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Makes sense, I'll give it a shot and see if the battery drains. I do know the accessorie power ports do not shut off and will drain your battery.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page