System install

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

browe

System install

Post by browe »

I finally broke down and am in the process of replacing the entire factory system. Headunit went in no problem. My component speakers just arrived and I am trying to decide if I should install the amps and speakers myself or have someone do it. Is it fairly straight forward or is running all the wires for the amp and speakers a major pain? Any input would be great.
browe 2003 Crew Cab Black, ARE Hard Cover and Spoiler, AEM Intake, Hypertech PPIII, SS Grill Inserts, Dual Exhaust
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

shouldnt be to bad . you can have it all installed in an afternoon
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

There are some things about our trucks that can make a full system install a pain. If you are unsure in any way, I would let a professional installer handle it.

If you want to do it yourself, just plan everything out ahead. And if you haven't done alot of this before, plan to do it over a weekend, because a full-blown install can be time consuming and tricky.

If you're going to amp your components it would be wise to go ahead and replace the factory wiring, which will take a bit more time. You can do things differently, but I'll tell you what I did on my truck to get things exactly the way I wanted them:

I took both front seats out, took the bottom and back of the rear seat out. Removed the jack and mounts from behind the back seat. Took out the center console, glovebox, and dash trim, as well as B-pillar panels and seat belts. Finally took out the very back panels on the back pillars.

This allowed me to run and secure my wiring exactly how I wanted it done, where I wanted it. No having to struggle to get 4 Guage wire to squeeze under a panel or anything.

This is just one of many ways to do things, and if you have the time, it's a great way to insure that you don't cut any corners.

I've recently changed out some of my components...here's what I have now:

Alpine CDA-9833 CD/MP3/WMA HU
Kicker Resolution 6.5" Components (2 Sets in doors)
Kicker Resolution 5.25" Components (in dash)
Alpine MRV-F345 Amp (2)
Kicker Solobaric L7 8" 2 Ohm DVC Subs (2)
Alpine MRD-m501 Sub Amp (2)
Alpine IPod Adapter
Apple IPod 40GB (mounted in center console)

Just my 2 cents :D Good luck!
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
cronkm

Post by cronkm »

I just replaced my sound system 2 weeks ago. I did it over 2 weekends because I bought most everything off ebay and the shipping dates were all over the place. It could be done in a weekend.

Pretty much the same as wamason except I didn't remove my front seats. I ran the speaker wires down each side under the door sill trim. The RCA's, turn on lead to the amp, and remote 10 disk player cable under the console and rear carpet. I ran the amp power wire under the truck along the frame in split loom, then up thru a firewall grommet next to the jack.

I put 6 1/2 speakers in the back doors and 6 1/2 component's in the front. The door speakers were the hardest part. Quite a bit of trimming and adapting but what a difference.

Kenwood headunit - to control kenwood 10 disk player I already had
Alpine MRV-F340 amp
Cerwin-Vega speakers
8 ga amp wire
18 ga speaker wire

Good luck!
browe

Post by browe »

Well I have mixed feelings about how my project turned out. After looking at everything I realized that I would not have enough time to rip out everything to replace the factory speaker wire and amp the components. Just installing the components took more time than I thought it would but I am very happy with the sound quality just from the new head and components. I think I may just have the amps and wiring done by someone to save some time and aggravation. I managed to only brake one clip on the drivers door.

The install as it stands now is:

Pioneer deh-p8mp head unit
Pioneer rev 6.5 components
Pioneer rev 6.5 coaxial
40g Nomad mp3 player

Still have to find a better way to mount the mp3 but at least it is wired through the head unit instead of the fm modulator. Hopefully amping the components will make everything sound as I hoped.
browe 2003 Crew Cab Black, ARE Hard Cover and Spoiler, AEM Intake, Hypertech PPIII, SS Grill Inserts, Dual Exhaust