Remote Starter

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

anvil
Crew
Crew

Remote Starter

Post by anvil »

I did do a search, however, found nothing yet I know I spoke about it here before.

I once had an Omega remote starter installed from the dealer when I bought my 99. It never worked right.

I stated that I get up in the middle of the night for my full time job, and I also volunteer as an EMT. I grew to the point that I could not trust the remote starter.

I see that there are some new remote starters on the market, the two way type. I like the concept of starting my Crew as I'm getting dressed so early in the am.

I have friends that have never experianced a single problem, and others have the same as I have experianced.

If the GMCs don't start by the remote, the electronics go into the "Security" mode. You must wait ten minutes before you can manually restart.

Ten Minutes is an eternity when you are in a hurry.
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

I install remote start units every day, just did an 02 s10 today. If installed correctly they work flawlessly. I sell and install both dei (viper/python) and code alarm units and have little of no problems. Let me know if you have more questions.

Kent
Thanks

Kent
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Hello Kent,

Thanks for the info.

I want to start to look for a remote starter in the near future.

Unless you and I live near each other :)

The Viper sounds good.

What manufacturer makes the two way remotes, do you know?

These units tell you if the vehicle is running or not.
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

I live in Lafayette Indiana(47905), if you are willing to come here i can get you the hook up. Here is a link for the dei 2 way stuff...

http://www.viper.com/security/python/pyth_responder.asp

Let me know where you live and what you think
Thanks

Kent
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Hey Kent,

That'd be great , but I live in Connecticut. Oops.

I did spend some time at that site. It sure looks like the two way remote I was talking about.

I tried to link up with a dealer in my area, didn't happen.

I'll try later.

Thanks again
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

mine works flawless :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

anvil wrote:Hey Kent,

I did spend some time at that site. It sure looks like the two way remote I was talking about.

I'll try later.

Thanks again

CT! Nice! We have to meet up sometime then since I live in NY.

I just got a two-way Prestige remote start for my 01 Trooper. It's sweet. It tells me the Temp. in the truck and some other useless features(like a parking meter timer). I got the Prestige(audiovox) cause my crew has a pursuit(audiovox) remote start so I can have one remote for both trucks.

I like CodeAlarm as I had one before. Install is harder with CodeAlarm but it's a really nice system. DEI is nice too and everyone installs them so it's not hard to find a DEI dealer. My Trooper has Powerwindow roll-up modules and Battery backup module from DEI.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

mi2kga wrote:I install remote start units every day, just did an 02 s10 today. If installed correctly they work flawlessly. I sell and install both dei (viper/python) and code alarm units and have little of no problems. Let me know if you have more questions.

Kent

Got a question for you. Does anyone make a Sunroof roll-up module that can handle the stutter-stop in the new sunroofs? DEI says to use an extra relay, but if I'm not mistaken, the relay will always be power on, which I'm not fond of. I want to add it to my Trooper.

Thanks,

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Hey Con, I bought my Miata at Eagle Auto, I think it was in Riverside. I took the ferry over. Is that near you?

You probably read all the problems I had with my Omega Remote Start. It didn't always start the Jimmy. In fact if I mention buying another one to the girlfriend, she probably would get upset about it. We've been stuck with the Omega in the Jimmy more than once.

The new 2-ways sound good, and I really like the conveneiance the remote starters offer.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

anvil wrote:Hey Con, I bought my Miata at Eagle Auto, I think it was in Riverside. I took the ferry over. Is that near you?

You probably read all the problems I had with my Omega Remote Start. It didn't always start the Jimmy. In fact if I mention buying another one to the girlfriend, she probably would get upset about it. We've been stuck with the Omega in the Jimmy more than once.

The new 2-ways sound good, and I really like the conveneiance the remote starters offer.

Riverhead? I'm over 1hour away from there. I've got a friend in southeast CT and he runs an performance/Audio shop I can hook you up with him if you are interested. He's in Killingworth area.

The Two-way is really cool, but it's pricey. But it was a "gift" for my wife since she drives the Trooper and she was complaining that the Crew only had it. Depending on the new Colorado, I might swap mine out for the two-way also cause it's soo cool. I found the unit online for about 160bucks, but I would not recommend installing it yourself. I paid 400bucks to install it which was cheaper than the dealer installed unit but they overprice them anyway. 250 installed for a normal remote start FYI.

Cheers,

Con
SlickDaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hey kent

Post by SlickDaddy »

I have a dei viper that i ripped out of my 99 s10 before turning it back in. i think it has the remote start option with it, but my 99 was a manual so they didnt hook it up last time. anyway whats the going rate if i drove up to you?
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Hi Conman,

Yeah, you can send me an e-mail on your friends business, but he's over an hour from were I am.

However, if the price is right, it would sure be worth it.

Thanks
EDWRDM
Regular
Regular

Post by EDWRDM »

anvil wrote:Hey Kent,

I'll try later.

Thanks again

Hey Neighbor! I'm over here in the Meriden/Middlefield area, Have only seen 3 yellow ZR-5's to date in CT. I have an Omega Remote Start RS-3 add on for factory remote and I love it, can start the truck by pressing the lock-unlock-lock buttons on my GM remote or the power lock button twice when inside the truck which is convenient at times. I got it on ebay from a guy who gues by mypushcart out of Glastonbury for about $37 and I also needed to get a module to keep the passlock system happy. Did you get anything yet?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am thinking about a remote starter again.
Right now this is the unit I am considering- Alert 550R
I like the fact that there is a T-harness available
I do not have the Passlock system, but there is still a Security system of sorts.
I am thinking that I will need this EZ-BUS

Any experts out there know for sure? Any suggestions?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I am thinking about a remote starter again........................................................Any experts out there know for sure? Any suggestions?
If, an expert appears, I need some help in undoing a friggin' aftermarket alarm/keyless entry on my XJ. It arms no matter what in 50 seconds. It is working the locks for now. I have cut the speaker wires but, the flashing lights will wear down a battery in time. I never lock the thing and am use to keeping the key in the thing and just jumping in and going.

I have thought about calling the company but, can imagine a techs response when I ask how to stop the alarm on a vehicle I bought that had it installed on it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

I am looking at this one for the wifes TB.

I am only looking at remote starters right now, but hopefully I can run across a wiring harness that will allow plug-and-play, at the very least I want something that will allow installation by myself, or a shop, without breaking any of the casing on the factory wires.

That t-harness might be the ticket, but that site had very little infomation on the harness.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That site has the installation manuals in .PDF format. I do like that. Their other site JBS technologies has a little more. I found them for sale at Summit Racing. The best price on the system was ebay. The T-harness would likely be bought through Summit.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Just be carefull that that Alert is not a "Bulldog" product. Bulldog products are Crap IMO, and there are a couple people over a S-Series that will agree with me.

It seems that at the TB forum I visit the Autopage and DEI (Viper, and a couple others) are the ticket.

Opps, just looked at that JBS Tech link and yes, it's the same company that makes Bulldog. I recomend that you stay away from Alert.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hmm... think I could use the T-harness with another remote starter?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

HenryJ wrote:Hmm... think I could use the T-harness with another remote starter?
Yes, as a matter of fact. Many of the remote start threads on www.trailvoy.com (the TB forum) recommend the Bulldog T-harness when installing any remote starter. From my understanding the T-Harness only provides leads to connect your remote starter without cutting your stock wiring, not a Plug-and-play function.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am tempted to just add a remote starter that uses the stock keyless entry for activation.
How important do you think the 2-way communication would be?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

HenryJ wrote:I am tempted to just add a remote starter that uses the stock keyless entry for activation.
How important do you think the 2-way communication would be?
One of the Vipers does that. I just looked it up but for the life of me I can't remember the number on it. It's $99 and comes with remotes, but if wanted you can use your stock remote, you just have to do a funky key sequence (lock-unlock-lock), or something like that. Here though you are limited to the stock remotes range, personlly the 1 mile range of something like the Autopage RS-1000 would be nice. With interference and all that it would probably work anywhere at home, where as with the stock remote you will probably have to stand close to the front door, and with the stock remote forget about starting the truck when your exiting Walmart and the truck is at the far end of the parking lot.

I guess it's all up to you. Personally I think it would be nice, but yet I seriously doubt somebody is going to steal my stock radio, so really whats the point. Then again, it can do all kinds of crazy thing, like tell you the inside temp, parking meter count down timer, bla bla bla. Of course thats all on the high end two way LCD/OLED two-way RS systems, some will just give you notification through a blinking LED on the remote, one blink truck running, two blinks doors unlocked, etc etc.