Sufficient Inverter?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

j0ker v1.25

Sufficient Inverter?

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

Greetings all,
Long time, no post. Just picked up the Delorme GPS unit for the laptop, and am wondering what size inverter would be sufficient for me to keep the PC charged on long trips. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

j0ker
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

check out radio shack.......got one there for a trip!!! worked great!!
they have different types for different needs!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My laptop requires 75w. I picked up a 150w power inverter from Staples to run mine. NAPA has a similar unit now.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'll sell ya' a 300w for $15 but, I went with a OEM DC to DC and it saves a lot of clutter. Don't know if would run my CD-rom drive but I just carry the notebook undocked in my CC :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
j0ker v1.25

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

f9k9 wrote:I'll sell ya' a 300w for $15 but, I went with a OEM DC to DC and it saves a lot of clutter. Don't know if would run my CD-rom drive but I just carry the notebook undocked in my CC :D
How big (dimensions?) is the inverter? I'll probably take it off your hands regardless, but I'm curious nonetheless.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

j0ker v1.25 wrote: How big (dimensions?) is the inverter? I'll probably take it off your hands regardless, but I'm curious nonetheless.
will measure it when I get home. you might wanna look for an OEM DC-DC on ebay. I put mine under the console and stuff the power cord under under it when I am not using my laptop. Did you install the data disk to a hard drive?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
j0ker v1.25

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

f9k9 wrote:will measure it when I get home. you might wanna look for an OEM DC-DC on ebay. I put mine under the console and stuff the power cord under under it when I am not using my laptop. Did you install the data disk to a hard drive?
do you mean a DC adapter for my laptop? I don't think Dell makes one for my Inspiron 1000. At least, I couldn't find one on their site.

Yes, I installed the data disk to the hard drive, so my CD ROM drive will not be a factor.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

j0ker v1.25 wrote:
f9k9 wrote:will measure it when I get home. you might wanna look for an OEM DC-DC on ebay. I put mine under the console and stuff the power cord under under it when I am not using my laptop. Did you install the data disk to a hard drive?
do you mean a DC adapter for my laptop? I don't think Dell makes one for my Inspiron 1000. At least, I couldn't find one on their site.

Yes, I installed the data disk to the hard drive, so my CD ROM drive will not be a factor.
Okay, will measure later this evening for you. I did a quick search on Ebay and couldn't find one for a 1000 but you may want to take a look there. Bon't worry about voltage if it is less than what you use. I have a Vaio that was 19V but, am using a sony battery that is less now and the adapter is woking fine at .13.8V :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The 300W one that I preferred in cold weather is 2X4X5 inches and the 400W one is 2X5X6 inches (it would kick off until 15-20 minutes into a drive).
j0ker v1.25

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

f9k9 wrote:The 300W one that I preferred in cold weather is 2X4X5 inches and the 400W one is 2X5X6 inches (it would kick off until 15-20 minutes into a drive).
Shoot, those are tiny. Which one can I take off your hands?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Either or both :D PM me with address and ph# for fedex purposes and will try to get them out thurs. you can wait until you get it or them and try them out. then pay me what you think it's worth plus actual shipping.
j0ker v1.25

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

f9k9 wrote:Either or both :D PM me with address and ph# for fedex purposes and will try to get them out thurs. you can wait until you get it or them and try them out. then pay me what you think it's worth plus actual shipping.
PM sent. Let me know what shipping ends up being. Thx.