RDS radio theft lock question

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

RDS radio theft lock question

Post by IBSonoma »

Hello all,
I'm still trying to hook up my ipod and the latest solution is to replace my 6CD radio with a single CD because they have the aux CD changer control buttons.
Anybody know if the 2004 Sonoama RDS, single CD radio I bought will go into theft lock mode when I try and install it ?
Also, just in case this dosn't work, anybody know what it takes to install XM radio in the factory radio?

Thanks,
Frank
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Yes, it will go into lock mode if it isn't your original radio. And I believe even if it is your original radio, it goes into theftlock mode after a certain number of minutes...not sure on that though. Each radio has the VIN number stored in it, so people can't steal yours and put it in their car. You have to take your radio by the dealer and have them unlock it for you. Since yours is the new style radio, don't let the dealer tell you that they have to take the radio out of the dash...they don't!! When i had mine reprogrammed, several tried to tell me that.
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Don't Know If This Works Or Not But This Was Posted On ZR2.COM

Procedure:
01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.

04. Press the AM/FM button

05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are from STEP 05

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

08. Press 1 then #. You’ll hear Invalid Code, try again

09. Press 139010 then #. You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by *

10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then *

11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11

14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC

Your radio is now un-locked and usable
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

I don't think that is for the RDS radio... It's for the 95-00 radios
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

With the RDS and later model GM radios you have to have the trucks ECM reprogramed to accept the new radio. This cost's about 80.00-100. at the dealership. A regular garage can do this if they have the equipment. * Even though some radios appear to look like the S-10 (ie Malibu Impala) they cannot be reprogamed to fit the S-10. It has to be a radio from an S-10 or I also think a 1500 series truck. The chip set in the radio and the ECM has to be compatible. Your factory radio will never lock up when you remove and install it in the same truck.