Aftermarket Cd Player and speakers

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Aftermarket Cd Player and speakers

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Hey guys.. For anyone who has replaced the factory speakers and/or the cd player, what brands and sizes did you go with?? I'm looking to replace everything for a louder, crisper sound. I already have a 10" sub behind the back seat but I would like to hook it up directly to the head unit instead of my crossover thru the back speakers. Any suggestions?? Thanks

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'd replace the head unit first...that's the biggest culprit of the poor sound in our trucks. I've got a JVC in mine and it made a world of difference without even replacing any speakers.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I have to agree with AZ. I replaced the head unit in mine with a Pioneer Super Tuner III and I could hear a good difference. I then replaced the door speakers with Pioneers and gained a little mids. But to be honest, I don't know if it was worth the money for the amount of sound difference. That MIGHT be because the speakers I bought were not all that great. I don't know. I have heard that changing out the dash speakers would make the biggest difference and that's next on my list.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I agree with what has been said above...ditch the factory deck, but determine how much money you want to spend before dealing with speakers. I put a nice set of Inifinity components up front (keep in mind that we already have components up front) and a matching set of Infinity 6.5's in back but I really don't think the speakers made much of a difference. They do sound a little better, but I spent $300 to change them and I don't really think I got a $300 change in sound. Once you change the deck you'll understand what we are all talking about because as soon as you turn the new deck on the factory speakers will sound a thousand times better.
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I agree , ihave a JVC headunit and stock speakers with a 12" sub with a 800w amp to power it and I get many complements on the quality and clear sound . Although when Future Sh*t installed my amp i somehow lost the use of the driverside rear door speaker . I guess that is what the amp is hooked on to to get the signal . oh well .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Getting a good set of components to go in the dash will make a huge difference. I personally hate the location of our front door speakers, it's to easy to block the sound with your leg.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Well, I'm going to go ahead and replace the head unit with a JVC Mp3/Cd player and see how it all sounds. Thanks for the advice guys!

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Actaully, I just got home from Best Buy and I decided to go with an Alpine head unit instead b/c it has the options to raise and lower the sub woofer level unlike the JVC. I can control the output of bass, treble, ect to the speakers also. So basically I will have little to no bass coming out of my actual car speakers and the majority of the bass coming from the sub.

-Bob
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Keep us posted on your results! :D
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

You got it! I'll be installing it with a good friend of mine who does car audio installs tomorrow afternoon.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

BobbleSmitty wrote:Actaully, I just got home from Best Buy and I decided to go with an Alpine head unit
Excellent choice!! You'll love it. What model did you get?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I got the Alpine CDE-9843. I just got home from putting it in and oh man!! What a world of difference!!! The sub hits everytime its supposed to now, unlike before when I had it thru the crossover. I have only driven about 10 minutes with it but I am definately liking it alot more. It fits in really nice and looks like it belongs there. I'll take a picture of it soon and post it. Thanks again for all of the advice.

-Bob
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

BobbleSmitty wrote: I got the Alpine CDE-9843
:thumb: Nice Choice, I Just Got The Same One Delivered Today That I Am Putting In My Wife's Ranger. :lol:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Here's a pic of it installed