Need Wire Schematics so I can hook up my trailer lights

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Need Wire Schematics so I can hook up my trailer lights

Post by Blaze One »

I would like to tow my boat trailer . But I don't know which wires to use in order to have L/R signal , Brakes , Back Lights . I have the plug already on my trailer , but no harness on my truck . But the wires are back there , so can i just splice into them and make my own plug/harness to connect to my trailer ? if so , is there a diagram available so I dont have to check every wire . Thanks
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

As I understand it Blazers differ from our crew cabs in that we have a plug in which to install a tee for trailer wiring blazers do not?

One of the Blazer guys here will have to assist, Sorry.
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

No prob . you have been on top of every question of mine . I have alot since iam just starting to have time to " fine tune " my truck to my tastes . And i have a nice camping/fishing trip planned so iam gonna need my boat .
I take a look around back there maybe i missed something .
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Upon further inspection I have found a group of up to 4 wires bundled up with a zapstrap behind the bumper on the drivers side .
I could only identify 2 wires though . One is Light green and the other is Light Blue . they had a sticker saying " disconnect battery before removing sticker .
I could not get time to see what color the other wires were because my freakin Sprinklers came on and soaked me ! .
But do any of these sound familar ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It looks like the left turn is yellow. Right turn is green and tail/marker lights are brown.

That matches your trailer plug coding as well, I think?

Do a search for trailer wiring, I'm pretty sure that this as been discussed.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I try another search but i did not come across anything , but maybe i missed it . Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is mine, looks like you can see the grn, yel, and brn wires-

- ThunderII KE7CSK
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I had a 2001 Blazer and just bought a kit from Walmart which told me which wires I needed and everything hooked up real simple and easy. On my 2002 S-10 I think I just had to buy a "T" connector to make it work. On my Jimmy it has the factory 7-prong plug already by the hitch so that was cake. :cool:
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Blaze, Look here:

http://www.trailerwiring.com/

you need part# 41225

Trailer wiring on newer vehicles is VERY simple unlike the old days when you had to splice into the taillight wiring etc. Most newer trucks/suvs have the wires already up behind the bumper ready to be spliced into.
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I'll go look at my truck right now - back in a few mins.

Edit:

Ok - got under my truck and realized that I had shrink-wrapped and wire-loomed everything under there, so yu can't see any of the wiring colors anyway....

But then it hit me where I got my wiring schematics from when I did mine - The good-ole owner's manual. From page 4-59 on my manual:
(It appears the standard harness is a 6 wire setup - or there might be an optional heavy duty 8 wire setup - I'm betting you have the 6 wire, but I'll list everything.)

Dark Blue: Use for electric trailer brakes or auxilliary wiring (8 wire harness only).

Red: Use for battery charging - connects to the starter solenoid (8 wire harness only).

Light Green: Back-up lamps.

Brown: Taillamps and Parking lamps.

Yellow: Left stoplamp and turnsignal.

Dark Green: Right stoplamp and turnsignal.

White: Ground wire.

Light Blue: Auxilliary stoplamp.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

wow , thanks for the help , I let you know how it all goes , I am work so i can't check it out right now , but it looks like that is what i need to know .
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Are you going to buy a wiring kit? They are only like <$10 at Walmart.
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

ummm... I don't know right now , I have to make sure that the plug with connect with the plug on my trailer .
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Blaze One wrote:ummm... I don't know right now , I have to make sure that the plug with connect with the plug on my trailer .
You trailer should be a standard flat 4-wire connector unless it has brakes then it would have the 7-prong round plug. If it has the round plug then you'd need a whole different plug on the Blazer.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

The Blaze doesn't need a "wiring kit" that I am aware of - all it takes is the connector with leads - our trucks are pre-wired and just waiting for the appropriate connector.

My truck didn't have any sort of connector on the trailer wiring leads from the factory.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

ok so if found the trailer harness , and i attatch my correct plug to it . As far as wiring goes i am set .
But... I was just goin to use the bumper with a hitch ball on it , to tow my trailer . But the bumper is too high . So i have to find a Light duty Hitch ( cheaper the better ) so I can tow the trailer at a proper angle .

Any suggestions for which hitch i should get . ?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I'm using the Hidden Hitch Class 3 roundbar - stock basically only the recepticle was visible under the bumper - with my BL it still doesn't stick out too bad - not as much of an eyesore as soe other trucks I have seen BL'ed without relocating anything.

several others are using the GM unit, and were able to redril it to move it up some after a BL - so it's up to you.

I paid right at $100 for mine I think -

Here's a similar one on ebay that could go for as little as $65 shipped ($25 current price (no bids yet), and a fixed $40 shipping)
HERE

Or here's the full search results I did... http://search.ebay.com/blazer-hitch_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

looks good thanks for the info , But i was wondering if there is a " very Light duty " hitch out there . the boat iam towing is very light ( aluminum)
But maybe i should go for a heavy duty hitch and mount some recovery hooks on it so i have them for use in the future.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Well- I don't think yo're going to find anything much cheaper than $100-125 (Including a drawbar/pin/ball combination) - plus if you go with a 2" receiver, calss 2 or 3 hitch - you will never run into a load that the hitch can't pull - you will overload your truck first.

Sure you'r just pulling a small boat now, but you never know when you might need to pull something bigger - and like you said if you get a stronger class 3 setup - you have a great recovery point fo getting winched, or pulling people out of ditches and the like.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Is that 125 US dollars ? if so , HOLY CRAP hitches are expensive then . I am going to go with a class 2 or 3 i guess , I don't want to have to buy another hitch if I ever want to pull somethin heavy down the line . Thanks for the tips .
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Do yourself a favor and DON'T skimp on the hitch. I always buy the heaviest duty model available. It might cost a little more $$$ at the time but I won't have to worry down the road about overloading it. I've put a receiver hitch on every vehicle I've owned. If you don't use them for towing they are great for bike racks, load racks etc.

You'll want a good Class 3 hitch (500/5000) so expect to pay around $175-$200 US for one. There are many places on the web that sell them. www.hitch-web.com is a place I've bought a few from.

I'm using the hitch on my Jimmy all the time. Just this week I used it and hauled 2.5 ton of rock on my trailer. 8)

Here's my rack which comes in very handy.

Trailer

coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

nice rack :wink:

I don't know how much it would cost to ship but I will probably be taking my reciever off soon here within a month when I get a rear bumper made so if you want it for pretty cheap pm me and we can talk :D it is a round tube like adrenalnjunky has
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Well if i don't have the cash to buy a decent hitch now , I wll just use the bumper ball for this trip . $250 CND is not alot of money , but thats a big chunk outa my camping fund for the trip .
I appreciate the replys and info . Thanks. I will let up know how it goes .
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

coffeedrnkr wrote:nice rack :wink:

I don't know how much it would cost to ship but I will probably be taking my reciever off soon here within a month when I get a rear bumper made so if you want it for pretty cheap pm me and we can talk :D it is a round tube like adrenalnjunky has
Making your own rear bumper? I want details and pics ;-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

coffeedrnkr wrote:nice rack :wink:

That would be nice but I need one by the 12th of August . Likewise , if you have any info about tube style rear bumpers postem up !
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

I bought one at car show/swap meet and the round tube don't work for the crew's they don't have a enough of a drop to clear the rear bumper. so there went forty buck's out the door, but one of my friends but it for his blazer
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I bought a Shadow Mount Class 2 hitch at crappy tire . it should be here by tues or wednesday .I let you know how it fits/looks .
Anyone have any experience with a shadow mount hitch ?