Pioneer shallow mount sub

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

apcrews10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pioneer shallow mount sub

Post by apcrews10 »

2002 CC S-10 - Extang Tonneau, TB Crank,Westin Sportsman Brush Guard
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

That is pretty cool, I think that might fit nicely in the jack storage compartment in a blazer :evil: but I have to save my money for other more important stuff like bigger tires and a 9"
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Not too bad. At 1200W peak, that thing might actually kick pretty good. A pair of those behind the seat might be fun. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Looks like Pioneer hasn't changed much in the last year or two. They're still exagerating their power specs on their woofers. 1200 watts max sounds great, but when you look at the RMS rating of 300 watts, it doesn's seem so awesome anymore. I would be wary....find someone who has one and listen to it, not just on a showroom flow, but in a vehicle as well.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

If you don't feel like building the box, they have that too

link

link't the long url-HJ
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

wamason wrote:Looks like Pioneer hasn't changed much in the last year or two. They're still exagerating their power specs on their woofers. 1200 watts max sounds great, but when you look at the RMS rating of 300 watts, it doesn's seem so awesome anymore. I would be wary....find someone who has one and listen to it, not just on a showroom flow, but in a vehicle as well.
I was wondering about that power rating as well.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

AZS10Crew wrote:
wamason wrote:Looks like Pioneer hasn't changed much in the last year or two. They're still exagerating their power specs on their woofers. 1200 watts max sounds great, but when you look at the RMS rating of 300 watts, it doesn's seem so awesome anymore. I would be wary....find someone who has one and listen to it, not just on a showroom flow, but in a vehicle as well.
I was wondering about that power rating as well.
Yea, that's a big problem with car audio manufacturers. When I see manufacturers rating their speakers/subs like that, I usually stay away. A max power rating does have some meaning, but not much.

I don't have anything against Pioneer, I even considered some of their decks before I bought my Alpine, but I've never had good luck with their subs.
--Walt
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I've always liked Rockford Fosgate because they seem to do the opposite with their power ratings...underestimate so that you can be pleasantly surprised by their abilities. 8)
[size=75]Mark
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

AZS10Crew wrote:I've always liked Rockford Fosgate because they seem to do the opposite with their power ratings...underestimate so that you can be pleasantly surprised by their abilities. 8)
RF was a good brand. They made their best stuff back when it was just Jim Fosgate. RF went down hill quickly when they started selling to Best Buy and several other retail chains. They started rating their amps for max power, and over hyping their products. Here's an example:

Back in the day (4 or 5 years ago), if you bought a Punch series, or Power series 500, you were getting an amp that would put out 500 watts RMS bridged at 4 Ohms, or 125x2 at 4 Ohms, or 250x2 at 2 Ohms. So you were getting a real 500 watt amplifier.

Now if you buy their equivalent amp, a 5002, you're getting an amp that will put out 500 watts RMS bridged at 2 Ohms. There's the difference! And only 75x2 at 4 Ohms. So really, this amp they're selling for the same price, is only half the amp that they used to sell. Plus, the old Punch 500's, could handle 2 Ohms bridged, and you'd get between 700 and 1K watts RMS at 2 Ohms Bridged.
--Walt
jaredsonoma

Post by jaredsonoma »

Hey all if you are interested in one of the pioneer slim mount subs I have one installed in my truck and i was pleasantly surprised with the sound. Great bass for such a small sub, and box.

I mounted the sub in the jack location, (always hated that thing from day one), bent the jack brackets to allow for the largest box possible.

I filled the box with polyfil to make the small box have the soundwaves of a larger box.

I will try to post pictures this week.

Also I purchased two off eBay for $225 and have the extra if someone is interested in purchasing. It was only 40 bucks more to get 2 instead of 1.

If interested PM me. I'll post pics asap!
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

Walt wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:I've always liked Rockford Fosgate because they seem to do the opposite with their power ratings...underestimate so that you can be pleasantly surprised by their abilities. 8)
RF was a good brand. They made their best stuff back when it was just Jim Fosgate. RF went down hill quickly when they started selling to Best Buy and several other retail chains. They started rating their amps for max power, and over hyping their products. Here's an example:

Back in the day (4 or 5 years ago), if you bought a Punch series, or Power series 500, you were getting an amp that would put out 500 watts RMS bridged at 4 Ohms, or 125x2 at 4 Ohms, or 250x2 at 2 Ohms. So you were getting a real 500 watt amplifier.

Now if you buy their equivalent amp, a 5002, you're getting an amp that will put out 500 watts RMS bridged at 2 Ohms. There's the difference! And only 75x2 at 4 Ohms. So really, this amp they're selling for the same price, is only half the amp that they used to sell. Plus, the old Punch 500's, could handle 2 Ohms bridged, and you'd get between 700 and 1K watts RMS at 2 Ohms Bridged.
You just couldn't beat the old RF punch amps...that stuff was just wow. I don't knwo what to say about it. The new RF stuff is same cheap stuff everyone else makes.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
sparky

Re: Pioneer shallow mount sub

Post by sparky »

Just installed a pioneer shallow mount sub. 1.5 cap with 600watt mtx thunder amp, took the factory console out and made my own wit the sub in it. sub faces the floor and box size is .45cubic feet made out of 3/4mdf and fiberglass looks and sounds great makes the seats shake the front side doors have new 6.5 mids wit tweets n pioneer radio
Attachments
DSCF0120.JPG
DSCF0115.JPG
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I dont think I could stand my sub mounted where you did it, but if you like it, awesome! Im not a fan of pioner products, good examples stated above, but that shallow mount is neat. Iv had a rockford fosgate 10" in a mtx box for about 8 years now.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

That was the thing for me couldnt get it behind the seat of the CC. I tried measuring it out and couldnt get one of these to fit. Maybe the 8 inch model will with modifications. I ended up putting my 12 inch shallow mount into my GTI and say what they want about power, im running it with an Alpine PDX 1.600 and it plays very well with minimal distortion. Im very surprised at how this sub performs and still leaves me with plenty of space in my little hatchback. For now the CC has the bazooka tube which works well but needs to be upgraded to the 250w model.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
nintendoninja

Post by nintendoninja »

im thinking of eventually getting this dual 8" box that is made to fit our trucks: http://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/ ... 4&catId=20
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Sure, if you like kidney punchers heh. Im still a firm believer that if you want good sound, you need to move the air in your truck not the filling in the back of your back seat. Get something like a bazooka thats side firing and stuff it back there, may be less wattage but you'll save yourself on the costs of heavy wiring etc. I recommend the 250W 6.5 inch version. It fits perfectly behind the seat with no modifications.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

i have a rockford 12" P3 shallow mount/box combo. it fits perfectly behind my rear seat with the back trim peice removed. and it bumps pretty good throughout the entire truck, i have a kenwood amp bridged at 500w going to the sub. so dont say you cant fit a shallow mount sub behind the seat or that it doesnt sound as good
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I have to see this. There is such little room behind that seat I couldn't find anything standard or shallow bigger than a 10 that MIGHT fit.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

heres the P3 12' combo i have, http://www.crutchfield.com/s_575P3LS12/ ... rd+Fosgate. i installed a grill cover for the sub so it wouldnt be hitting the back of the seat.

heres the box demensions of the above combo ^, 27-1/2"W x 13-5/8"H x 6-5/16"D1 x 4-1/4"D2. with the rear trim peice remved, the seat goes back and latches, with the grill cover barely resting into the back of the seat

heres a thread with my post of my system and pics of how it fits, im about half way down towards teh bottom of the post where ihave the pic links,

http://www.s-10crewcab.net/forums/viewt ... =13&t=7736
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Got it. The pic of the actuall sub in the truck is dead though, the links not working. :( Removing the black trim piece seems to be the key here if you want to get one of these boxes behind the seat.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

Lots of manufacturers make shallow mount subs. lots of them I would pick over pioneer subs. Pioneer makes some really nice head units though. As far as amps go, RF was the stuff back in the day, then went through a long down period. They seem to be back to their old ways now though. The RF amp I have is rated at 1500@1ohm. It does closer to 2000@1ohm. It is also a constant power version, putting out nearly the same at both 1 and 2ohms.

RF actually pulled their best buy deal because they wanted to get away from being associated with them. Too many people were not buying RF because it was sold at best buy.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Smart move for RF. I wont buy anything at that place except open box speakers for dirt cheap. I like how they carry Pioneer head units but only a bunch of the low models for high model prices. I went to 6th ave electronics to get the Pioneer head I have now loaded with USB, HD radio and all the goodies for what Id pay for some cheapo one at worstbuy.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

sorry bout the pic man, but yea the only way i could of got the box and sub to fit was removing the trim peice. once thats done it cake to get the box to fit right
Alene24

Pioneer Car Stereo

Post by Alene24 »

i received a Pioneer DEH-690UB car stereo which i have installed and working in my car. Great sound and features but there is one problem. The model i have was purchased in USA and there is a slight difference in the European unit. In Ireland and to my limited knowledge, the rest of Europe have radio stations on odd and even number frequencies. The US model stereo only scans odd number frequencies. i.e, 98.1 or 98.3. It is not able to scan 98.2. When a manual scan is done, it goes from 98.1 to 98.3 to 98.5. No even number scanning at all.
I would like to get this working properly as it always helps to have the traffic report when going to work in the morning which is on 103.2 and i cant receive it on this tuner.
Does any one have any idea how i can ge this unit to scan even numbers as well?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

The only way to get it to scan EU stations would be to actually get an EU unit. I think the chipsets are actually different which do the tuning. A pioneer tech would probably know more about it
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ