Gauge cluster mod...

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Gauge cluster mod...

Post by mi2kga »

So i got the brushed insert off ebay from sppedhut for like 18.00 shipped, and they got that thing here quick. So I was installing it and one of the guys i work with tries to "help out" and he cracked the plastic cover (you know the thing that gets all scratched up). SO i called to order a new (his money) and the thing was less then 10.00. I really love the way this looks, especially with my silver face on my kenwood deck :)

I will get pics up soon!

Thanks

Kent
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That does look nice, can't wait to see a pic of it in your truck.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You got that off of eBay? That's pretty cool. Does the place you got it from have an online store or do they only sell on eBay?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

now i like that. i want one too!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

a2b wrote:now i like that. i want one too!

I found blue carbon fiber gauge faces too, Hobie you need them :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1876551748
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

Those gauges will not work for our trucks, they are only for the manuel tranny. I got the silver things from speedhut.com...

I will get pics up asap!

Kent
Thanks

Kent
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I just ordered mine a few minutes ago. :thumb: The bezel...not the gauges. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

mi2kga wrote:Those gauges will not work for our trucks, they are only for the manuel tranny

Kent

Oops :oops: I didn't look close enough. If they make them for sticks the manufacture should offer them in auto too :D
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i might order some too!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Gauge cluster mod...

Post by AZS10Crew »

mi2kga wrote:So I was installing it and one of the guys i work with tries to "help out" and he cracked the plastic cover (you know the thing that gets all scratched up). SO i called to order a new (his money) and the thing was less then 10.00.

Were you able to get just the glass part, or did you have to get a whole new bezel and everything? Mine cracked when I was taking it off too and when I went to the local dealership to get a new glass, they said all that I could get was the whole bezel and everything. If it was just the glass only, do you have a part number or anything?
[size=75]Mark
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

The part number on the box says 1625-2106 and also w30-124-b1

Also i am from lafayette indiana, not to far from logansport :)

Kent
Thanks

Kent
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Cool...thanks. So it was just the glass that you got and not the glass/bezel as one piece?

I went to college at Purdue, so I know Lafayette pretty well too. Small world. :)
[size=75]Mark
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

No, I got both. The only problem is it's hard to get the plexi off w/o breaking it, when i broke mine i went ahead and put it in w/o the plexi while i ordered the new piece. THen when i got the new piece and relized i had to cut it apart i just said screw it, you can't tell there isnt plexi on there unless you touch the gauges :) I will save the new one untill i get bored and change to white gauges. I think when i go to white guages i will sell the brushed ones here :)

Kent

Oh yea, GO BOILERS!!!
Thanks

Kent
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

That's what I did too. As long as you don't touch the gauges, you can't even tell there's no glass there. I guess it will be OK that way. If I'd ever decide to get rid of it, I'll just get the new bezel and everything.

mi2kga wrote:Oh yea, GO BOILERS!!!

:thumb: 8)
[size=75]Mark
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

I'd be looking maybe for the white face guages or maybe the sivler it would fit nice with my pioneer premier radio 8)
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

I have a question for mi2kga,

Is there a problem with your gauges? It seems that your engine would be idling at 3K, and no fuel, and the volt meter reads way low.

Just wondering.

I love the insert.

Can you tell me why it is so difficult to install?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

anvil - that pic above is off speedhut's website. That's a "donor" gauge cluster...not an actual pic of mi2kga's cluster.

The thing that makes it difficult to install is that the gauge cluster lens and the current black plastic bezel and surround are all one piece. You have to use a dremel to cut the glass off the front of the current bezel surround so that the aluminum one can be added over the top of the stock bezel. The glass bezel lens is VERY brittle, and the slightest angled cut can send a crack all the way across the glass. That's what happened to me anyway.

What we both ended up doing was breaking the glass lens out all together. There's nothing to stop you from touching the gauge needles now, but looks-wise you can't tell it's missing.
[size=75]Mark
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Thanks for the correction AZs10crew, as I really had to give that photo a second look.

I love the cluster, it is what was needed on all the ZR-5s from the factory, to add a little distinction from the norm.

It would appear the best way to approach this would be to buy a couple stock units, and prepare for breackage.

I really like the looks of the brushed cluster.

You guys made a great choice.
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

When ours broke we just put the stuff on and put them back in to the vehicle w/o the plastic. It looks the same although there is nothing keeping you from touching the needles. I would only recoment this if you dont put stuff up there, have no kids, and take real good care of your truck. The new piece i bought will sit on the shelf untill i trade or change the look again :)

Also, did you have fast service from speedhut???

Kent
Thanks

Kent
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

mi2kga wrote:Also, did you have fast service from speedhut???

Kent

Very fast...I had the part maybe 3 days after I ordered it.
[size=75]Mark
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

mi2kga, have any pic of the insert installed yet.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

I will get them up as soon as someone sends me a digital cam :lol:

I am working on this for you all, but it may be a few days. I really dont have alot of time while at work (where we sell digital cams) and i dont have one...

I assure you all that they are of the highest quality and they fit well, the only p.i.t.a. is the installation part. I promise I am no novice at this type of work, i am an "mecp certified mobile install dude" (technical title :D )! This is horrible, the plastc cover is bonded to the black plastic bezal so the removal requires cutting. As you cut with a dremal with a cut off disk it remelts/rebonds, if you try to pry as you go you risk the cracking which i encountered. Then there would be the matter of re attaching the plastic once completed which i would have done with epoxy had i gotten to that point :x I am just glad i have the new piece chillin in my closet!

Kent
Thanks

Kent