Will This Replace The Plastic Distributor ??

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Will This Replace The Plastic Distributor ??

Post by gocntry »

Anybody Know If This Will Replace Our Plastic Distributor. Looks Like It Would.

Accel Distributor Link
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Make CHEVROLET
Engine Type V6
Liter 4.3
CID 262
Engine Size 4.3L/262
Beginning Year 1996
Ending Year 2004
Engine Family GM V6
yup, that all looks right. Is there anything wrong with our plastic distributors though? I mean aside form the likelihood of breaking the housing while reinserting cap screws. Is there any performance gain or longevity to be had by replacing an intact unbroken plastic one with this aluminum one? I guess it's good choice for replacement if you do happen to break your OEM distributor, although how much does an OEM replacement cost?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

If this one doesn't break, that's all the reason I would need to get one. Just one less potential problem to worry about.

(The only reason I can come up with for not getting one is the lack of funds for it! :? )
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

wow 250 bucks
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: Great find!

You can bet if mine comes up cracked , I'll be INVESTING in one of those.

$254 is pretty high, but a new one from GM runs close to $200, reman are running over $150

The piece of mind alone would almost be worth it.

Thanks! I'm saving that link :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Nice find gocntry! :thumb: I was just wondering the other day if somebody made a nice performance distributor for our CC's. I am currently using their cap & rotor which I am very happy with. :D

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I just revisited this distributor. I don't think it will work afterall.
Summit wrote:Brand: Accel
Product Line: Accel BilleTech Late Model Distributors
Trigger Style: Magnetic
Advance Type: Mechanical

Cap Style: Male/HEI
Tach Drive: No
Slip Collar: No
Gear Material: Iron
Computer Controlled Compatible: Yes
Ignition Box Required: No
Distributor Rotation: Clockwise
Helix Rotation: Standard
Housing Material: Billet aluminum
Housing Finish: Natural
Quantity: Sold individually.

Distributor, BilleTech, Magnetic Pickup, Mechanical Advance, Chevy, 4.3L, V6, Each

* Check to make sure this part fits your application

Late model replacement distributors.
These BilleTech late model distributors were specially designed to be performance replacements for late model computer-controlled Camaros and Firebirds and similarly equipped vehicles. The housing is a precision-machined billet design, featuring a steel shaft and roller bearing for reliable 10,000 rpm performance. The distributors are topped with an Accel performance cap and rotor. The GM HEI remote mount coil BilleTech distributors also include the same famous Accel high-output electronic trigger mechanism found in the Race BilleTechs. They were designed and engineered for simple, no-hassle installation and come complete with original factory-style connectors. Just bolt them on and plug them in.
We have a cam position sensor. This has a magnetic trigger and advance mechanism.
It sure looked like a good option, but I am afraid it may not work.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Summit is well known for listing incorrect information on their parts. :roll: I did a year, model, make search on Accels web site for a 2001 S10 4.3L and it recommended the same distributor as Summit, part # 60115. Accel claims it fits 95-04 S10's with the 4.3L. :? I believe Summit screwed up on their info and the distributor does in fact fit our trucks, but the only way to know for sure would be to give Accel a call and ask. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

accel website wrote:billetech performance dist.-chevy v6
ACCEL BilleTech late model replacement distributors are the perfect replacement for the factory distributor in your late model car or truck. All BilleTech distributors feature: 6061 T6 Billet aluminum housing. Centerless ground steel shaft. 10,000 RPM bearing upper with oil lite bushing lower. ACCEL performance electronic pick up and module (where noted). High dielectric strength cap, balanced rotor for trouble free performance. Brass cap contacts. Iron or steel distributor gear compatible with flat tappet cams and OEM hydraulic roller camshafts. May be used with an ACCEL, Mallory, Crane, Holley or Jacobs Electronics CD ignition system. Fits Chevrolet V6 Vortec truck with corrected flat cap including 1995-04 4.3L engines.

Model Number: 60115
I am still not convinced it is a "stand alone drop in" replacement.
How are you going to phase the distributor? Ours are not adjustable.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Yeah, there's just not enough reliable info on this distributor to say for sure if it will work. :? It does look exactly like our stock GM distributor though. :D Is Accel saying that this distributor must be used with an aftermarket CD ignition or that it's just compatible with most of them? :?

What do you mean by phasing our distributor? I've done that on the older V-8 distributors to make sure the rotor tip is directly in lined up with the cylinder that it's firing, but I don't see any reason that you would need to do the same on our distributor. :? Distributor replacement is very easy on our truck as long as you mark the position of the rotor on the housing before you remove it and again after it has moved 42* while lifting it out. If you make both of these marks on the housing during removal then you should have no problem dropping in a new one. Even if for some reason you rotated the crank you can still install the distributor as long as you follow more detailed instructions. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Late model V-8 engines , prior to DIS , use cam sensors and an adjustable housing require the distributor to be in phase with the crank sensor. This is done with a diagnostic scan tool and rotating the housing.
Much like timing an engine, but readings from both sensors are used to correctly make the adjustment.
Just lining up the rotor and terminal is not close enough.
I would guess if this distributor is not correctly clocked and locked, we would have to do something much the same for alignment.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Ok, I think I understand. Are you saying that after properly installing the new distributor with the rotor ligned up correctly you then have to fine tune it by making sure both sensors are in sync with each other using the scan tool and then fully tighten the distributor hold down bolt once they are in phase? If I have that wrong, please correct me. :lol: Why would fine tuning the Accel distributor be any different than a stock GM replacement? :? Don't base you answer on Summit's information! :lol: :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You have it right.
Our distributors are not adjustable. and already properly phased. The billet distributor is adjustable, judging from the accel picture. It does not have an attached, fixed position hold down.

EDIT: I received a response from Accel:
Mr. Gasket Technical Support Team tech@mrgasket.com wrote:Question: Brand: ACCELAuto
Summit racing lists your Accel BilleTech Late Model Distributor ( store link ) as having a Magnetic Pickup and Mechanical Advance. For my application I need a camshaft position sensor. Will this distributor serve as a direct replacement for the stock distrubutor? Does it have a camshaft position sensor instead of the trigger and advance mechanism?
Vehicle/Engine Specs:
Make: Chevrolet Model: S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 Year: 2001
Engine Type: 4.3L vortec Transmission: 4L60E auto
Modifications: HPPIII, MSD 6A, Blaster coil, K&N FIPK
Discussion Topics:
Solution:
they miss printed something at Summit then, this distributor p/n 60115 is the correct distributor for your truck, the timing is controlled by the ECM and sensors such as the crank sensor, not a mag pickup, thanks
They say it will work :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Another option:
Rockauto wrote:UNITED IGNITION WIRE Part # 9363 {High-Performance Engineered, with Aluminum Housing & Brass Cap & Rotor} $132.79

United Distributor Info

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

$133??????????? Ever hear of them Brule??
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have not delt with them , yet. Fairly new. http://www.united-wire.com/

Located in Cleveland, Ohio

Gallery Looks like Bob is into nascar?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks like Bob's desktop and the web site needs a little updating :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How bad can they be? Bob is wearing a Hard Rock cafe shirt! I have a few of those too!

This will be my first choice of distributor, when a replacement is needed. I am hearing good reports on the cap and rotor too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:lol: Just to use the words that Mrs Hoff hates the most.........We have been catching up on the series 24 through NETFLIX. Copy that!!!
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i`ve noticed the Summit catalog now listing aluminum stock replacement distributors for the 4.3, 5.0/5.7, and 7.4L Vortec engines...
3 different part #`s.

cant help but wonder if all these different brands are coming from the same factory...

NOTE: a poster at s10forum has had a problem with the "United" dist.
with cam sensor code popping up. claims to have traced the problem to the drive gear clocking...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/warn ... or-351653/
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]