Is my alternator too small?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HJ,

Are These S-10 Specific?? I Think I'll Be Needing A New Alternator In My Astro Van That Also Has The 4.3 Think This Will Work In There?? I'd Like To Have A Higher Output Being This Has All The Fancy Lights-Tv-Vcr-Dvd Setup In It.

So Depending On Price & Fit I Might Have To Get 2 :D
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

gocntry wrote:Are These S-10 Specific?? I Think I'll Be Needing A New Alternator In My Astro Van That Also Has The 4.3 Think This Will Work In There?? I'd Like To Have A Higher Output Being This Has All The Fancy Lights-Tv-Vcr-Dvd Setup In It.
I can only say for sure that they will work on 2001 up s-series with the 4.3L.

The thing that we run into is the regulators being different. There must be at least a dozen choices for the CS144 alternators.
With more information , we could possibly do something. Make model year, current alternator model.

Don't get too worried about the "frills" drawing lots of power. Newer electronics rarely draw much. It is the high amp draws that really get'cha. Winches, fans, lots of offroad lights, amplifiers, etc.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:With more information , we could possibly do something. Make model year, current alternator model.
This Is A 1997 Astro Van AWD With A High Top Conversion Done By Explorer Company, Is Has The 4.3 V6 Vortec Engine In It. Current Alternator Model Is Delphi 10463652, We Bought The Van Used (Yes I Drive A Mini Van Too - Hey At Least It's A CHEVY :lol: ), The Dealer Had To Replace The Alternator Before We Could Test Drive It Cuz The Old One Was Dead. The Problem I Seem To Have Is The TV Goes Funky After An Hour Or So Of Playing It (It's NEW I Changed It Cuz I Thought The Old One Was Bad), The Screen Gets Weird & Shrinks Which I Was Told It Was Not Getting Enough Voltage. So I Figured The Dealer Gave Me A Cheapo Alternator And I Was Trying To Find A Higher Amperage Alt. To Keep The Juice Flowing. The Van Has The RV Upfit Option To It And Explorer Has Their Own Fuse Box For All Their Goodies. If You Think The Alt Might Not Be The Prob And Help As To What To Check Or Test To Track Down The Problem Before I Tear It Apart To Look For A Broken Wire??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would do some testing first.

I'll split this topic as to get more in depth off of the bigger alternator thread.

How skilled are you when it comes to electrical trouble shooting? For those who are skilled and enjoy electrical systems I would recommend picking up one of these. The best $99 that I have spent on tools recently. -

The main thing to look for is an autoranging clamp on DC ammeter.

Is there a chance that the wiring to the accessories is inadequate? By this I mean is the size correct? Compare the load and length on this chart - Wire gauge table

Next we need to check grounds. If in doubt add another one. [yoda voice] Continuity does not a good ground make. [/voice] Power flows from the ground so the ground is more important than the positive wire. Well almost, since you do need both ;).

If you think things are adequate there, then lets move to the engine compartment. If you have a clamp on ammeter you can check the load to see if the alternator is being over worked.

Hey! Since we are in here, How old is that battery? A bad battery can take out an alternator in a hurry.

Adding a ground might be a good idea here too, as I hear the stock engine grounds can be less than perfect. I ran a cable from one of the alternator mounting bolts to the negative battery bolt. Even just a piece of 10 gauge will work.

Does the alternator look to be mounted the same as ours? I'll check into that.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here Are Some Answers, They Aren't In The Exact Order You Listed Them In.....

HenryJ wrote:Is there a chance that the wiring to the accessories is inadequate
The Vcr Is Rated 12 Watts, The Tv Is Rated 3.5 Amps, The Dvd Player Is Rated 2.2 Amps. 18 Guage Wire Supplies Power To All 3.
HenryJ wrote:How old is that battery?
The Battery Is An Interstate "Mega-Tron" Installed April 2001 According To Battery (Was In The Van When I Bought It) My AutoXray Scanner Tested It As Being Good Still At 700 CCA And 14.3 Volts At The Battery Terminals
HenryJ wrote:Next we need to check grounds
Hmmm...The Red & Orange Wires I Have Seperated Supply Power To The High Top Electrical, Notice The Black Wire That's Just Hanging There?? That's Exactly What It Was Doing Just HANGING THERE :roll: So There Is One Problem.

HenryJ wrote:Does the alternator look to be mounted the same as ours?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Where's The Alternator???

OK I'm Gonna Ground That Wire & Give It A Good Test And I'll See What Happens....

HenryJ A Big :thumb: Thanks For The Hints/Tips I Appreciate The Help!! :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'll ask about the alternator mounts tomorrow.

I'd ground that loose wire, but I'm guessing you already planned on that ;)

"Guess-timate" the length of the power supply wire, add up the amps and use that chart to see if the size is adequate. I'm just guessing here, but I think that 14 ga. might be a better choice.

REPLACE THAT BATTERY NOW! You are living on borrowed time. It WILL take out your alternator when it goes. Batteries are usually only good for 3-5 years depending upon care and use.
Many people are fans of Interstate batteries. They are better than some, but I haven't had much luck with them. My alternator guru would argue that point, as he swears by and sells them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK