Overhead video console

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Overhead video console

Post by HenryJ »

I know more than just myself had wondered if this would work in a crew cab...Audiovox Overhead Mobile Video Console

This all came from this thread by rlith on the ZR2.com forum - A new type over overhead console! "evil grin"

It does work!

We do not have the large rear support brace, but there is a smaller one under the headliner. All that is required is to add a spacer and use longer screws. Then a couple pieces of gray foam to fill the gap on the sides.
Looks real good to me :mg:

I will get some pictures after the portable DVD player arrives and I complete the lower wiring installation.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I thought of it but pictured my son having a stiff neck from watching it on trips. I picked up one that goes on the back of the front seat, I wish I had duel screens. one on the back of each seat. I would like to see someone come up with a way to install the XM radio console in the garage door opener space in our overheads.

His set up is pretty cool though.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I thought long & hard about doing a mod like this as well. I ended up finding a dual screen unit that goes on the headrests for under $300 at Wally World. I couldn't pass it up. Now my wife & I can take EITHER of our vehicles on long road trips with the kids. Just pop `em outta one vehicle & into the other. When they're not in use, they fit in a bag about the size of a 6-pack cooler.

The ZR2 setup was nice though!!! :shock: It looked really sweet! Can't wait tp see your pics HJ.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

Actually BADs about a year ago I came up with an idea to put my Xm commander in the overhead garage door space here is a pic of it finished.
:D
[size=75]2003 S-10 Crewcab Dark Metallic Green*Hidden Hitch Class 3 Trailer Hitch*Monro SensaTracs*Airaid Intake*Poweraid TBS*Custom Dual Exhaust*Tranny Cooler*Buffalo Stainless Step Bars*Hunter Grill Brush Guard*Delta Diamond Plate Tool Box*Bed Rhino Lined*APC Clear Corners*Hi Beam Mod*LT235/75/15 BFG All Terrains*Full Skid Plates with Transfer Case Done by SkidZ.[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I would like to see a day time shot. Does it flip down?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Hi, new to the forum and this is my first post here, but thought I'd throw in my $0.02. Im using my garage door space for mounting my ARB locker and compressor switches.
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

No It doesnt flip down, I tried to make it flip down but I found it next to impossible without the unit coming out, so I made it fixed in the position its in now(its easier to read then it looks plus my xm unit has a remote so I dont have to take my eyes off the road). I can get you some more pics if you want just give me several days.
[size=75]2003 S-10 Crewcab Dark Metallic Green*Hidden Hitch Class 3 Trailer Hitch*Monro SensaTracs*Airaid Intake*Poweraid TBS*Custom Dual Exhaust*Tranny Cooler*Buffalo Stainless Step Bars*Hunter Grill Brush Guard*Delta Diamond Plate Tool Box*Bed Rhino Lined*APC Clear Corners*Hi Beam Mod*LT235/75/15 BFG All Terrains*Full Skid Plates with Transfer Case Done by SkidZ.[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

kauaibuilt47 wrote:Hi, new to the forum and this is my first post here, but thought I'd throw in my $0.02. Im using my garage door space for mounting my ARB locker and compressor switches.
WELCOME ABOARD!!!! :thumb:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well being a bit impatient , I did not wait for the DVD player to arrive from Canada to complete the wiring and connections for the overhead console. The female RCA connection in the bottom middle is video, the other two to the side are inputs to both the overhead video system and the aux. imput for the stock stereo system. The overhead video system has IR wireless head phones. This way I can turn off or change the radio without disturbing the rear passengers audio.

The system is almost "invisible", at least to the driver. Everything is behind peripheral vision, and the console appearance is that of stock. It is the graphite color, and is a thin padded vinyl covering, not hard plastic. This is a really sturdy four piece console. A steel mounting / framework piece that is separate and attached to the roof prior to mounting the console , two piece plastic skeleton / body and a steel plate laminated together , then the padded outer cover. It really is a OEM supplier quality piece.
It all sits high enough on the ceiling that would be thieves would really have to be looking for it to even see it :mg: It would be a pain to steal, and probably would be destroyed in a hasty removal.

You can see here the recess at the headliner for wrapping over the rear support in the Blazers-

We do have a bow / support in that location for the rear mount. It is , however only about 1/2" thick and obviously not thick enough to match the front support , or the Blazer's. I carefully cut a 6"x1" long portion of the headliner over the support to sandwich a piece of aluminum square tubing as a spacer. I used the emblem adhesive to hold it in place and drilled my two holes to retain the galvanized mounting plate. (Centered between the four provided rear mounting holes. I drilled two more holes to use four for the front support)

I think it will work great!

All the photos are on Page 2 of my modifications album.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Nice Install...Looks Great :thumb:

The S-10crewcab.com Site On The Screen Is A Nice Touch. :D
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm out in sun fighting spark plug wire looms and my new Taylors and Brule is once again light years ahead installing a fantastic DVD outfit.

Really good looking :thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]